3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 am

Got a second round interview from Colorado earlier this week, and a second round interview from NHPD today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got a second round interview from Colorado earlier this week, and a second round interview from NHPD today.

Did you interview at EJW? I've only heard they contacted 2Ls

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a second round interview from Colorado earlier this week, and a second round interview from NHPD today.

Yes, I interviewed through EJW for both.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Damn I'm worried I didn't interview but table talked and haven't heard

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Damn. I interviewed with one, table talked the other, haven't heard a damn thing.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Tagging.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Has anyone who interviewed at Bronx or Brooklyn Defenders at EJW heard about a second round yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Reinvigorating this thread because it's good to have something that's 3L-only and PD-only.

Received second round Palm Beach PD interview by email today. Interviewed at EJW.

Received second round Miami PD interview by email last week. Interviewed the week after EJW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reinvigorating this thread because it's good to have something that's 3L-only and PD-only.

Received second round Palm Beach PD interview by email today. Interviewed at EJW.

Received second round Miami PD interview by email last week. Interviewed the week after EJW.

What was the second round Miami interview like? I have one coming up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Reinvigorating this thread because it's good to have something that's 3L-only and PD-only.

What was the second round Miami interview like? I have one coming up.

Both of these second-rounds are upcoming interviews. I was referring to where/when I had my first round interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Has anyone heard back from Legal Aid (NYC) about a second interview?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from Legal Aid (NYC) about a second interview?

Yes, many -- both rejections and acceptances.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from Legal Aid (NYC) about a second interview?

Yes, many -- both rejections and acceptances.

(Not the original anon)

What second round interview are you referring to, Tanicius? My initial interview with LAS was the panel interview with a mock summation. I think LAS usually has a first round screener interview, but they skip some people straight to the mock summation interview if they've interned at LAS or for other reasons. Is the Tina interview considered third round? Someone in the other thread mentioned getting a Tina interview by email two weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:48 pm

For NY LAS, I'm not sure if they do "screener" interviews except maybe at EJW??? My first interview was the panel and my second coming up is with Tina. I got notified about my second maybe 5 weeks after my first interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:09 am

Got a waitlisted letter from Miami on Tuesday and a second round interview email from Palm Beach today. Interviewed at EJW for both.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For NY LAS, I'm not sure if they do "screener" interviews except maybe at EJW??? My first interview was the panel and my second coming up is with Tina. I got notified about my second maybe 5 weeks after my first interview.

They do screeners at certain campuses. I had a screener that, but the interviewer made it clear it was kind of BS. So they definitely do them, it's just that they probably don't really matter. I had one and have a second one with Tina coming up next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a waitlisted letter from Miami on Tuesday and a second round interview email from Palm Beach today. Interviewed at EJW for both.

When you say waitlisted, do you mean that letter that said they can't offer a panel interview but will keep you in a pending file of preferred applicants? I got that as well and I figured that all of their rejections were worded that way (at least if you've interviewed with them).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a waitlisted letter from Miami on Tuesday and a second round interview email from Palm Beach today. Interviewed at EJW for both.

When you say waitlisted, do you mean that letter that said they can't offer a panel interview but will keep you in a pending file of preferred applicants? I got that as well and I figured that all of their rejections were worded that way (at least if you've interviewed with them).

I'm not entirely sure, but I have a couple of friends who got waitlisted last year and then got panel interviews with them much later in the process. But yes, that was the letter that I received. Not sure if that was the wording my friends from last year received.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Awesome that this thread is getting back on track, the gunner thread was getting pretty cluttered and confused with DA/PD miscommunications.

I received the "let us know if you have continued interest" email from NJ today. My understanding from my interviewer is that they have guaranteed about 4 3Ls pre-bar positions for fall 2014. He told me that aside from those people they keep 26 (I realize these numbers are weird but I'm quoting) people in the "continued interest" pile. Once they know how many people they'll be able to hire, he said probably like 15 total, then they'll see who is left in the pile of 26 and go from there. Although the letter says to just wait and contact them in March I'm going to go ahead and call on Monday just to double check they don't need anything from me.

Also, regarding miami. I know that they interview at the Public Interest Fair in New York every year and I'd at least like to think that they don't set their hiring decisions in stone until after interviewing there. So for the people with the "wait list", I'm pretty sure that that is what that is and that it isn't a "soft rejection" or whatever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:15 am

Interviewed with Brooklyn and Palm Beach at EJW. Table talked with Miami and received a Skype interview.

- Received second round interview with Palm Beach.
- Brooklyn's bail simulation was tough-- still waiting to hear back for second round.
- Miami Skype interview consisted of a hypo and asked me to do cross examination/closing-- said I will receive a letter in a few weeks.

Does anybody know how many rounds Palm Beach is doing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed with Brooklyn and Palm Beach at EJW. Table talked with Miami and received a Skype interview.

- Received second round interview with Palm Beach.
- Brooklyn's bail simulation was tough-- still waiting to hear back for second round.
- Miami Skype interview consisted of a hypo and asked me to do cross examination/closing-- said I will receive a letter in a few weeks.

Does anybody know how many rounds Palm Beach is doing?

interesting, I think that the offices' hiring practices might vary a little bit more than I thought.

I thought that brooklyn's second round was the bail simulation?

Also my table talk with miami had a cross with a closing (they were cool and let me basically interview with them at table talk or at least talk to them for 20ish minutes, but I thought this hypo was sort of a first round thing)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:32 am

Miami - I also had an ethical hypo and cross/closing in my first round interview. For the second round you're asked to prepare something based on a fact pattern they send.

Palm Beach - I can't say for sure, but I'd think there are only two rounds. The first is the screener interview that many people did at EJW, the second is at their office. I say it's prob only two rounds because I doubt they'd make people fly to Palm Beach twice during the hiring process.

BDS - my understanding also is that the bail simulation is what happens at the second round interview. My first round had a spontaneous hypo, but we didn't go into as much depth with it as I expect to do in the second round.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:57 am

Received Bronx Defenders interview by email yesterday. I applied months ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Has anyone received a second round interview from Brooklyn yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:42 pm

My Skype interview with Miami was a disaster. The guy explained what was wrong with my cross and closing. It was embarrassing. I'm assuming my letter in a few weeks is going to be a hard reject.

Return to “Legal Employment”