3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:12 pm

In my LAS interview #1, I did my closing argument there, not during a callback interview. I have yet to hear about a callback opportunity.

To answer the apprehensive poster's question, generally I think it is more impressive to do these performances without notes, just as it would be in a real courtroom. But there is a line you can cross if it's so memorized as to come off as just following a script word-for-word. Your tone, hand gestures, and command of the room are going to be more important. Also expect some questions about substance and your argument structure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 pm

FlanAl wrote:It sounds like the poster is talking about the second round giving an opening. My plan was to apply directly to the office as well as EJW. The legal app on the website wants you to submit forms and a questionaire and my guess would be that they probably want that. I have also been told that NY offices do not like to interview people from NY schools at EJW, but I also felt like applying at every opportunity was a decent strategy. I know it said somewhere on the EJW thing not to email the places directly, but I think that that was just so that you understood that for EJW you have to use EJW's system. Not like, once you apply through EJW the office never wants to hear from you again.

Really? Is this standard? I would think agencies frown upon more than one application. I get it if you're not accepted for an EJW interview but if you are? I'm out of state so IDK if that makes a difference. I'm really gunning for LAS so anybody else's comments are welcome

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
FlanAl wrote:It sounds like the poster is talking about the second round giving an opening. My plan was to apply directly to the office as well as EJW. The legal app on the website wants you to submit forms and a questionaire and my guess would be that they probably want that. I have also been told that NY offices do not like to interview people from NY schools at EJW, but I also felt like applying at every opportunity was a decent strategy. I know it said somewhere on the EJW thing not to email the places directly, but I think that that was just so that you understood that for EJW you have to use EJW's system. Not like, once you apply through EJW the office never wants to hear from you again.

Really? Is this standard? I would think agencies frown upon more than one application. I get it if you're not accepted for an EJW interview but if you are? I'm out of state so IDK if that makes a difference. I'm really gunning for LAS so anybody else's comments are welcome

I am the one with the interview... LAS doesn't do a "screener" type interview, at least if you apply directly. My first interview is a panel, and I got a hypo to prepare a closing for. I didn't even think about applying through EJW. FWIW, I got contacted for my interview very shortly after submitting my app directly...

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Anyone else applying to NHPD? (class of 2014)

kastane23

Postby kastane23 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:14 pm

I love this thread- really helpful.

Anyone who has interviewed with Tina- any hints? I have a couple of contacts at LAS but they are sometimes vague with their hints.

Should I expect substantive questions and/or hypos? This is my dream job, so I'll take all the advice offered.

TY!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Had a first round with Brooklyn Defenders this week. Two interviewers, and one seemed thoroughly uninspired/did not want to be there at all. I guess that might be what I get for taking the last slot of the day. Sorry if it's already been discussed (this thread is long) but has anyone been through a second round with them recently? What should I expect on the very slim chance I'm called back?

kastane23

Postby kastane23 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:35 am

I had a first round with BDS and I had the EXACT same experience. It was incredibly discouraging and I had to immediately have an enormous glass of wine afterwards.

Does anyone know if it's unusual to have a final round with LAS this early in the game? I know they recently passed legislation to lighten PD loads = more funding for PD offices. I just wanted to know if it was unusual or not. My career center means well, but sometimes they border on useless with interview protocol and dates.

rs6747

Postby rs6747 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:29 pm

I also have a interview with Tina coming up and would love some insight. kastane23, I was wondering the same thing about whether it is too early to have a final interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:09 pm

rs6747 wrote:I also have a interview with Tina coming up and would love some insight. kastane23, I was wondering the same thing about whether it is too early to have a final interview.

How long did it take from your first round interview to be invited for your final interview?

rs6747

Postby rs6747 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rs6747 wrote:I also have a interview with Tina coming up and would love some insight. kastane23, I was wondering the same thing about whether it is too early to have a final interview.

How long did it take from your first round interview to be invited for your final interview?

About a month.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a first round with Brooklyn Defenders this week. Two interviewers, and one seemed thoroughly uninspired/did not want to be there at all. I guess that might be what I get for taking the last slot of the day. Sorry if it's already been discussed (this thread is long) but has anyone been through a second round with them recently? What should I expect on the very slim chance I'm called back?

Could just be part of the plan - I'm sure I know who you met with. They definitely go hard on you in the first round, but that isn't necessarily an indication that they don't like you/etc. I thought I bombed my first round and later got a call about a second interview.

The second interview is with 4 attorneys - most of it is a bail hearing simulation. It is the longest/hardest of the interviews and they really press you on your choices/etc. Overall a really fun experience though. Third round is just a meeting with Lisa Schreibersdorf (who is AWESOME) and it is very relaxed and laid-back. Usually, if you are invited for a third round - you get the job. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:14 pm

kastane23 wrote:I had a first round with BDS and I had the EXACT same experience. It was incredibly discouraging and I had to immediately have an enormous glass of wine afterwards.

Does anyone know if it's unusual to have a final round with LAS this early in the game? I know they recently passed legislation to lighten PD loads = more funding for PD offices. I just wanted to know if it was unusual or not. My career center means well, but sometimes they border on useless with interview protocol and dates.

Sometimes they just make it tough on you to see if you can stand up for yourself under pressure. I thought I bombed but ended up getting a 2nd (and later a 3rd) interview and a job offer. Good luck!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a first round with Brooklyn Defenders this week. Two interviewers, and one seemed thoroughly uninspired/did not want to be there at all. I guess that might be what I get for taking the last slot of the day. Sorry if it's already been discussed (this thread is long) but has anyone been through a second round with them recently? What should I expect on the very slim chance I'm called back?

Could just be part of the plan - I'm sure I know who you met with. They definitely go hard on you in the first round, but that isn't necessarily an indication that they don't like you/etc. I thought I bombed my first round and later got a call about a second interview.

The second interview is with 4 attorneys - most of it is a bail hearing simulation. It is the longest/hardest of the interviews and they really press you on your choices/etc. Overall a really fun experience though. Third round is just a meeting with Lisa Schreibersdorf (who is AWESOME) and it is very relaxed and laid-back. Usually, if you are invited for a third round - you get the job. Good luck!

I had a screener w/ BDS last year at EJW, it was my first interview and I totally blew it but I still thought they were pricks.

They were like really skeptical that I wanted to live in Brooklyn. I mean I hate NYC, but they didn't know that. They were all like "we see you are from Virginia, you think you can handle living in a city." And I was like yeah, I've lived in SF for three years, I think I know what it's like to live in a city. They treated me like I was some fucking country bumpkin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:58 am

I think that most of the NY offices know and think that we know that California PD's pay more and believe that we'll skip town as soon as something out west opens up. I think they become really skeptical of people with California ties and really want to feel like you want NY. I also think they understand the reality that most counties in California are overall a better place to live and practice than NYC but want to have their "NYC is the only place anyone in the world wants to live" egos stroked a little.

kastane23

Postby kastane23 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 pm

I have a contact at LAS said it could be one of two things:

1. I am going to go ahead and say I'm a diversity candidate, My contact said that may be why. I also intern there, and I know they like to get their interns in early.

2. My contact said not to worry about it. He said they might wait until the budget to extend offers, but the early process shouldn't hurt me in any way. Also, apparently, Seymour James was notoriously slow about things, so now that Tina does it, she may want to speed things up. My contact said that in dragging their feet they lost many qualified candidates who just couldn't wait on LAS. I heard Tina is nice and very friendly.

He didn't say anything about the percentage of people who have final interviews that end up with actual jobs. I've heard mixed things about the percentage of people that have final interviews and the people that end up with jobs. In my division a couple of interns who got final interviews did not end up with jobs because they said or did something strange in the final interview. I've read on this thread that a final interview= job, but I am pretty sure that's just not the case.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:32 pm

kastane23 wrote:

1. I am going to go ahead and say I'm a diversity candidate, My contact said that may be why. I also intern there, and I know they like to get their interns in early.

2. My contact said not to worry about it. He said they might wait until the budget to extend offers, but the early process shouldn't hurt me in any way. Also, apparently, Seymour James was notoriously slow about things, so now that Tina does it, she may want to speed things up. My contact said that in dragging their feet they lost many qualified candidates who just couldn't wait on LAS. I heard Tina is nice and very friendly.

He didn't say anything about the percentage of people who have final interviews that end up with actual jobs. I've heard mixed things about the percentage of people that have final interviews and the people that end up with jobs. In my division a couple of interns who got final interviews did not end up with jobs because they said or did something strange in the final interview. I've read on this thread that a final interview= job, but I am pretty sure that's just not the case.

What's the deal with diversity candidates? Are they required to hire a certain number of minorities?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kastane23 wrote:

What's the deal with diversity candidates? Are they required to hire a certain number of minorities?

as a urm who has interned in pd offices that had no urm attorney present, from my perspective, there is a higher level of trust when the client and attorney are of the same race. They don't go after urms because they are trying to meet a quota..believe it or not there are advantages..so if you have two candidates who are similar on paper, then i see no problem hiring the individual who can better communicate with clients..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:as a urm who has interned in pd offices that had no urm attorney present, from my perspective, there is a higher level of trust when the client and attorney are of the same race. They don't go after urms because they are trying to meet a quota..believe it or not there are advantages..so if you have two candidates who are similar on paper, then i see no problem hiring the individual who can better communicate with clients..

How did this turn into a discussion on affirmative action? lolz.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:as a urm who has interned in pd offices that had no urm attorney present, from my perspective, there is a higher level of trust when the client and attorney are of the same race. They don't go after urms because they are trying to meet a quota..believe it or not there are advantages..so if you have two candidates who are similar on paper, then i see no problem hiring the individual who can better communicate with clients..

S/he's saying it's not necessarily about AA at all. It's about bridging a communicative divide, which absolutely exists between attorneys and many of their clients in this line of work. It's very hard to defend someone properly at a hearing, trial, post-conviction, or anywhere else when they are scared to talk to you or won't because they hate you. It's not just a class and education difference. Race is invariably involved in a lot of these issues.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

S/he's saying it's not necessarily about AA at all. It's about bridging a communicative divide, which absolutely exists between attorneys and many of their clients in this line of work. It's very hard to defend someone properly at a hearing, trial, post-conviction, or anywhere else when they are scared to talk to you or won't because they hate you. It's not just a class and education difference. Race is invariably involved in a lot of these issues.

exactly, its similar to offices preferring individuals who speak spanish as well..communication and trust are essential, has nothing to do with a quota

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:20 am

anyone apply for NJ PD office? For those who have, any idea what to expect for a second interview? The info I found didn't seem to be right, as it discussed a hypo to be prepared in advance, but I wasn't given any materials for a hypo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:50 pm

for those who already had the panel interview with LAS, do you think i'm screwed because I haven't taken trial practice? I have no experience doing summations, and while i think I'm a pretty good speaker, I'm so nervous that this will be my first time having done so. any reality checks/words of encouragement are appreciated!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:for those who already had the panel interview with LAS, do you think i'm screwed because I haven't taken trial practice? I have no experience doing summations, and while i think I'm a pretty good speaker, I'm so nervous that this will be my first time having done so. any reality checks/words of encouragement are appreciated!

definitely do some research so you have a good structure and know some basic techniques, but what they are really testing is your personality and charisma which can't be taught in any class, so you aren't really at much of a disadvantage if any

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:for those who already had the panel interview with LAS, do you think i'm screwed because I haven't taken trial practice? I have no experience doing summations, and while i think I'm a pretty good speaker, I'm so nervous that this will be my first time having done so. any reality checks/words of encouragement are appreciated!

definitely do some research so you have a good structure and know some basic techniques, but what they are really testing is your personality and charisma which can't be taught in any class, so you aren't really at much of a disadvantage if any

whoever you are, thank you :)

i'll sleep better tonight

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:55 pm

For LAS application if you have a disability but don't need an accommodation (hearing or visual) would you mark it down as a disability? I'm an accommodated law school student. I've had surgeries and a condition but I make my own accommodations when needed.

Return to “Legal Employment”