3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Oh, LAS sent out some rejections? They aren't holding every application? I did not realize that. Makes me feel better...I am still waiting, but had just kind of chalked it up to a loss at this point...


User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Borhas » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20130623/POLITICS/306239976



The attorneys say nonprofits' lawyers, with less experience and heavier workloads, are not as suited for complex, drawn-out cases. Some 18-B lawyers suspect the Bloomberg administration is motivated by a desire to deal with nonprofits that rely on city contracts. "The city already hires the police and the prosecutors," said Corey Sokoler, a Bronx defense attorney. "Now the city wants to get to pick the defense attorneys, too. It all crosses the line in the balance between the executive and judicial branches."


:roll: Boomers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:49 am

Optimistic, but not overly hopeful, that we hear today or tomorrow. The budget is July 1 funding and city council just approved the Mayor's proposed budget - which INCLUDES the $14M set aside for conflicts cases being reassigned from 18-b to providers like LAS and BDS. Sooooo, maybe this means good news? *fingers crossed*

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 pm

so has anyone heard from BDS? Or is everything still silent?

brassmonkey7
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby brassmonkey7 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 pm

So since LAS has sent some formal rejections, anyone know what's going on with people still on the "waiting list". Assuming even at least a handful of people who got offers turned them down, does anyone know anyone who got a call who was being held?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:11 am

brassmonkey7 wrote:So since LAS has sent some formal rejections, anyone know what's going on with people still on the "waiting list". Assuming even at least a handful of people who got offers turned them down, does anyone know anyone who got a call who was being held?



Still being held, still no news.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Any news? Is the delay due to the city having to divvy up the $14 mil between the various institutional providers? Anyone hear anything about potential numbers of hires to be made, or about the number of people in limbo? Would any potential hires be starting in February?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:32 pm

I went through the application process this past year but had to withdraw my app after getting a clerkship. The application for next year opens on July 22. I love the fact that after I submit my app, I may not hear back until NEXT July. So fun.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:so has anyone heard from BDS? Or is everything still silent?


just waiting

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any news? Is the delay due to the city having to divvy up the $14 mil between the various institutional providers? Anyone hear anything about potential numbers of hires to be made, or about the number of people in limbo? Would any potential hires be starting in February?


I think this. No idea for any institution as to numbers, though. Hopefully the city does it quickly!

pollaclc
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby pollaclc » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Anyone apply in other states?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Anyone hear about the Maryland public defender interviews? I had a first round interview, but haven't heard about the second round.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear about the Maryland public defender interviews? I had a first round interview, but haven't heard about the second round.

This late in the game? when did you apply?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 am

Maryland's process is later than most of the others. I had a first round interview in late May, and last I heard, they were doing second rounds through July. I was wondering if anyone knew how that was going.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news? Is the delay due to the city having to divvy up the $14 mil between the various institutional providers? Anyone hear anything about potential numbers of hires to be made, or about the number of people in limbo? Would any potential hires be starting in February?


I think this. No idea for any institution as to numbers, though. Hopefully the city does it quickly!


I called to ask about additional positions. They said there may be, but no decisions yet on who or how many.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 pm

I really wish the City would just hand out the funds already. This is torture.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:52 pm

tagged

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:42 pm

I am wondering what is the policy for new hires with New York Legal Aid.

Specifically I'm curious about the following items:

1) Is it possible to obtain a copy of the of the collective bargaining agreement with the staff lawyer's union which covers salary and other employment benefits?

2) What is Legal Aid's policy regarding drug testing? What is Legal Aid's policy regarding accruing vacation time?

3) When do new hires hear about their office assignments? What are the reputations of each of the borough offices.

Thank you for your help,
g62450

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Void » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:00 pm

This thread is so confusing because I can never tell if people are talking about internships or post-grad jobs. That is all.

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby seatown12 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:04 am

Void wrote:This thread is so confusing because I can never tell if people are talking about internships or post-grad jobs. That is all.

In this one, post-grad only. The "Prosecution/PD Gunner" thread is all-inclusive.

User avatar
Rocío
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Rocío » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am wondering what is the policy for new hires with New York Legal Aid.

Specifically I'm curious about the following items:

1) Is it possible to obtain a copy of the of the collective bargaining agreement with the staff lawyer's union which covers salary and other employment benefits?

2) What is Legal Aid's policy regarding drug testing? What is Legal Aid's policy regarding accruing vacation time?

3) When do new hires hear about their office assignments? What are the reputations of each of the borough offices.

Thank you for your help,
g62450


(1) You'll get the collective bargaining agreement at orientation.
(2) You will not be drug tested. You start accruing vacation time (20 days a year) when you start working as an attorney, but you can't take a vacation day for 6 months (that's when your probationary period is over).
(3) You likely won't hear about office assignments until shortly before orientation -- I didn't hear until about a week before orientation began. As to office reputations: (1) Staten Island is a new office, so don't know much about it; (2) Manhattan has a reputation for being kind of unfriendly; (3) Brooklyn is the feisty office with the most hardcore union presence; (4) Queens is the "fun office"; (5) The Bronx is the young office with the "true believers."

kemichels
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby kemichels » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:19 pm

I don't know about the other questions, but I the above-poster is correct with the timing of placement. Spoke with Tina last week and she told me that the majority of the new hires will be placed in Brooklyn, Manhattan, or Queens, if that's any help.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Has anyone received word on whether Brooklyn Defender Services received funding? Or has anyone received any update from the office regarding hiring? I know a couple of users here had went through third round interviews..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Just accepted an offer in Mass. Psyched.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.