3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Has anyone received an LAS contract yet, and does anyone know if they will be emailed or mailed, thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an LAS contract yet, and does anyone know if they will be emailed or mailed, thanks.

I haven't received a contract yet. I think Tina said they would be emailed, but not positive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Still haven't received a contract yet, does anyone think if it's a good idea to give them a call and has anyone done so yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still haven't received a contract yet, does anyone think if it's a good idea to give them a call and has anyone done so yet?

I haven't either, I'd be curious what they'll say so please post if you do end up calling. I was thinking we'd get them in mid-may and have to respond by mid-June. But that's not the case, apparently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Still haven't received a contract yet, does anyone think if it's a good idea to give them a call and has anyone done so yet?

I haven't either, I'd be curious what they'll say so please post if you do end up calling. I was thinking we'd get them in mid-may and have to respond by mid-June. But that's not the case, apparently.

Called LAS this week... Was told that formal offers will be arriving via email in the next couple days. Don't fret!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 12:06 am

the City just needs to release this funding ASAP. and throw some $ at LAS and BDS from the 18b funds....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:08 am

Received offer letter for LAS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the City just needs to release this funding ASAP. and throw some $ at LAS and BDS from the 18b funds....

So does that mean that LAS is in fact planning to make additional offers once the NYC budget comes out? If so, any word as to when that might be?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:the City just needs to release this funding ASAP. and throw some $ at LAS and BDS from the 18b funds....

So does that mean that LAS is in fact planning to make additional offers once the NYC budget comes out? If so, any word as to when that might be?

Seems unclear about LAS (but I'm a BDS-poster)....and no clue. Funding is July 1 funding, so hopefully before that? Could be any day, it appears.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:25 am

Spoke with BDS last week. They're being told they'll find out within two weeks, but they were also told before that they'd be hearing back quite some time ago, so it doesn't sound very certain.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Spoke with BDS last week. They're being told they'll find out within two weeks, but they were also told before that they'd be hearing back quite some time ago, so it doesn't sound very certain.

I spoke with them Friday and was assured they would know by Wednesday. I also called in Feb and was told no later than March....so who knows

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Spoke with BDS last week. They're being told they'll find out within two weeks, but they were also told before that they'd be hearing back quite some time ago, so it doesn't sound very certain.

I spoke with them Friday and was assured they would know by Wednesday. I also called in Feb and was told no later than March....so who knows

I will cry if this is right...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:28 pm

So I have an offer with LAS and an impending offer with BDS (if they get enough funding..), does anyone in this thread have a preference towards one office? And if so, why?

I'm really having trouble deciding what are the pros and negatives of each and weighing them to come to a decision. I've heard vague statements that BDS is more innovative, employing a more comprehensive approach to public defense. But I've also heard the LAS has changed in that direction over the last 10 year, especially with the newer attorneys they've been recruiting. I've also heard that BDS might be better if I want to go into policy work, where LAS may offer a better transition into solo practice (if I'd ever want to...not exactly sure) because LAS has been around for so long. BDS also offers the certainty of working in Brooklyn, whereas LAS is more of a gamble, considering you could be placed in either of the five boroughs..

Any of this ring true? Or is there any other information that people in here would be willing to offer about one or both offices? Could really use some extra insight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:17 am

For people with official LAS offers, when is your start date and salary?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I have an offer with LAS and an impending offer with BDS (if they get enough funding..), does anyone in this thread have a preference towards one office? And if so, why?

I'm really having trouble deciding what are the pros and negatives of each and weighing them to come to a decision. I've heard vague statements that BDS is more innovative, employing a more comprehensive approach to public defense. But I've also heard the LAS has changed in that direction over the last 10 year, especially with the newer attorneys they've been recruiting. I've also heard that BDS might be better if I want to go into policy work, where LAS may offer a better transition into solo practice (if I'd ever want to...not exactly sure) because LAS has been around for so long. BDS also offers the certainty of working in Brooklyn, whereas LAS is more of a gamble, considering you could be placed in either of the five boroughs..

Any of this ring true? Or is there any other information that people in here would be willing to offer about one or both offices? Could really use some extra insight.

Not in the same position, but interested in hearing what people think/have to say

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For people with official LAS offers, when is your start date and salary?

I got a Feb 1 offer. Salary is $48K pre-bar passage, so assuming I pass in July, I'll start at $53K. It goes up each year.
For those of you with Feb 1 offers, did Tina tell you anything about the possibility of moving up to Nov 1? Do you know if that's still a possibility even if we sign the Feb 1 offer? She told me it was contingent on18b funding and/or people rejecting Nov 1 offers.

Did anyone else get a Feb 1 offer and what are your thoughts on it?

Also good luck to BDS people!! I hope you all get some great news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Looks like this is probably not going to be the case... it sucks for all of us (BDS included!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For people with official LAS offers, when is your start date and salary?

I got a Feb 1 offer. Salary is $48K pre-bar passage, so assuming I pass in July, I'll start at $53K. It goes up each year.
For those of you with Feb 1 offers, did Tina tell you anything about the possibility of moving up to Nov 1? Do you know if that's still a possibility even if we sign the Feb 1 offer? She told me it was contingent on18b funding and/or people rejecting Nov 1 offers.

Did anyone else get a Feb 1 offer and what are your thoughts on it?

Also good luck to BDS people!! I hope you all get some great news.

I also received a Feb 1st offer. Tina mentioned the possibility of moving up to Nov. 1st but I haven't heard anything about it since her initial offer call. I'm assuming that if we sign the Feb 1st offers and the Nov 1st option becomes available that they will just amend the paperwork. Hopefully the extra funds will allow some of us to move up.

RE: My thoughts on the Feb 1st offer- I'm very appreciative of the job offer but of course I would like to start in November. I took out a bar loan with the assumption that we were going to start around the same time that last year's class had started. Once I learned it wouldn't be until February I wished that I had taken out more. Now I feel like I may need to find a short-term job to get me through financially until Feb, especially since I will have an expensive move to NY from the Midwest. I heard from a current LAS attorney that our borough assignments will come to us very late so we will have just a few weeks to secure housing before training starts.

Overall, I am very happy about the opportunity and am very excited to be a part of a great team. Now we just have to conquer the bar!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Looks like another week bites the dust.... :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Any updates/news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates/news?

silence so far....

it's july 1 funding though so we HAVE to know by next week, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

silence so far....

Man I hope so. How many people are still waiting for LAS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

silence so far....

Mostly waiting for a rejection at this point, but holding out faint hope of a pleasant surprise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

silence so far....

Mostly waiting for a rejection at this point, but holding out faint hope of a pleasant surprise.

Why? I don't know enough about the budget situation to know what's going on, but I know they sent out rejections the same day a few of us got notice to hold on and wait to see what happens with the budget. Wouldn't that lead you to believe the chances are better than slim if they have the money they're still hiring?

Return to “Legal Employment”