3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe today will be the day that someone hears back from MD? :lol:


LOL

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe today will be the day that someone hears back from MD? :lol:


LOL

I know, right, what was I thinking??!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:03 pm

If anyone is interested in being a public defender in an urban area, you should contact the Milwaukee Trial office of the Wisconsin State Public Defender. We are down at least 10 attorneys due to unusually high turnover recently and are apparently having trouble finding qualified applicants (the agency is pretty bad at recruiting outside the State, and as far as I know doesn't actively recruit non UW or Marquette students). If you have trial experience from an internship or already practice criminal defense, consider sending a resume and cover letter or calling.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone is interested in being a public defender in an urban area, you should contact the Milwaukee Trial office of the Wisconsin State Public Defender. We are down at least 10 attorneys due to unusually high turnover recently and are apparently having trouble finding qualified applicants (the agency is pretty bad at recruiting outside the State, and as far as I know doesn't actively recruit non UW or Marquette students). If you have trial experience from an internship or already practice criminal defense, consider sending a resume and cover letter or calling.


Do you know if they require you to be barred in Wisconsin at the time of application or before you start working or if there's any sort of grace period?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:29 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If anyone is interested in being a public defender in an urban area, you should contact the Milwaukee Trial office of the Wisconsin State Public Defender. We are down at least 10 attorneys due to unusually high turnover recently and are apparently having trouble finding qualified applicants (the agency is pretty bad at recruiting outside the State, and as far as I know doesn't actively recruit non UW or Marquette students). If you have trial experience from an internship or already practice criminal defense, consider sending a resume and cover letter or calling.


Do you know if they require you to be barred in Wisconsin at the time of application or before you start working or if there's any sort of grace period?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Does anyone know how big the entering class is at PDS DC? Historically at least?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:10 pm

When I interned there they said it was usually never more than about 3 or 4 due to extremely low turnover and carefully managed budgets. Some years there might just be one and some years there are none.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how big the entering class is at PDS DC? Historically at least?



When I spoke with Jen she said they usually hired 4-6 people, but were trying to expand. Anyway you cut it, it's an extremely small class. A 1000 people will apply for those spots.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:46 pm

For NY Legal Aid, how long after a screener do you find out if you moved on to the panel?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:26 am

WELP it's almost time to apply for MD Spring Class at this point! :roll:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:WELP it's almost time to apply for MD Spring Class at this point! :roll:

HA! I was actually just coming here to post this. :lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:40 am

For the people that were placed on the LAS waiting list a few months ago...has anything come of that?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the people that were placed on the LAS waiting list a few months ago...has anything come of that?

They closed it months ago. However they also suggested that people apply for the PRDU and those interviews are still on-going (I assume that went to everyone on the waitlist)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For NY Legal Aid, how long after a screener do you find out if you moved on to the panel?

I had sort of a screener w/ them at last years EJW (weekend of October 23rd) and got invited to a panel interview the last week of November. The panel interview was the first week of January.

Timeline may vary, but many of my friends had similar gaps.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:18 am

So if PD doesn't work out (and it's getting late in the process as we all know), what are you guys plans? Job wise.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if PD doesn't work out (and it's getting late in the process as we all know), what are you guys plans? Job wise.


Who knows!! Ugh!! :cry:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Hey!

Has anyone heard from the Legal Aid Society's Criminal Appeals Bureau? They were looking to hire a few attorneys to start his Fall.

Anyone got an offer yet?

Thanks.

annonymous1389
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby annonymous1389 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey!

Has anyone heard from the Legal Aid Society's Criminal Appeals Bureau? They were looking to hire a few attorneys to start his Fall.

Anyone got an offer yet?

Thanks.


I interviewed with them late July but haven't heard back - I believe they were conducting two rounds, did you do both?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Is thee any point on going to EJW as 2016 grad this year? I didn't go last year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is thee any point on going to EJW as 2016 grad this year? I didn't go last year.


I know somebody who received an offer from EJW as a grad.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:26 am

I am going as a grad n
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is thee any point on going to EJW as 2016 grad this year? I didn't go last year.


I know somebody who received an offer from EJW as a grad.


I am going as a grad because I'm clerking this year so I sure hope so

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Sooooooo, anyone else just get that e-mail ding from Maryland? lol.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sooooooo, anyone else just get that e-mail ding from Maryland? lol.


Yep :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:13 pm

2017 3L checking in.

Screener interviews with BxD, PDS, NHPD, so far. Still waiting to hear back about 2nd rounds. Also had an interview with an upstart holistic PD office in the south. They made an offer that's nearly impossible to turn down (they will straight up pay my student loan payments, and not just IBR payments, but the full 10 year big-ass payments). Will probably accept it this week. May hold on for PDS, but I think locking down a job before September would be clutch, and I loved the office when I visited




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.