3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Anyone heard from Legal Aid this week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Legal Aid this week?

Same question regarding BDS?

PDLaw

Postby PDLaw » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:00 pm

I haven't heard from LAS. I was told I would hear back in early April. No news since my final with Tina in early March.

StillUnemployed3L

Postby StillUnemployed3L » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Idk if you've checked their website recently, but they hired some new attorneys with experience. I think they're using their funding to hire more experienced attorneys. Not to say they're not hiring us 3Ls, but I suggest calling to find out if you made it to the last round.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:32 am

StillUnemployed3L wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Idk if you've checked their website recently, but they hired some new attorneys with experience. I think they're using their funding to hire more experienced attorneys. Not to say they're not hiring us 3Ls, but I suggest calling to find out if you made it to the last round.

Yea, had a final interview over a month ago, but they didn't think at the time they would make hiring decisions until April. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything since then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:31 am

Has anyone who reapplied (or even applied) to Maryland's Fall 2016 class during this new cycle heard anything? Wondering if we'll hear anything before closing date...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who reapplied (or even applied) to Maryland's Fall 2016 class during this new cycle heard anything? Wondering if we'll hear anything before closing date...

I reapplied and also followed up with a recommendation letter but haven't heard anything. Did you send her an email directly to just tell her you wanted to apply or did you resubmit the entire application?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who reapplied (or even applied) to Maryland's Fall 2016 class during this new cycle heard anything? Wondering if we'll hear anything before closing date...

I reapplied and also followed up with a recommendation letter but haven't heard anything. Did you send her an email directly to just tell her you wanted to apply or did you resubmit the entire application?

I resubmitted the entire application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I resubmitted the entire application.

Third MD applicant. I just notified them that I was still interested in the position per the letter instructions. I attached an updated resume and reference list, and I offered to resubmit anything else they needed. Based on the letter and the posting on their website, I interpreted the letter that they still had my application on file? Maybe I should follow up? (sigh, it makes me nervous being the odd one out~).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:36 pm

No, I think you're right. The letter def sounded like they had kept the applications on file. The only reason I resubmitted mine was to update my location preferences. I'm sure you're fine!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:36 pm

if I am doing a 2L BigLaw summer associateship, am I doomed if I want to apply to be a Public Defender next fall?

Would appreciate any responses, even highly negative ones.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:if I am doing a 2L BigLaw summer associateship, am I doomed if I want to apply to be a Public Defender next fall?

I think your life is going to be much harder at the highly competitive offices. Most of the outstanding candidates have two full summers plus externship experiences (some of which may be full time). I think not only are you contending with the fact that you simply did Big Law over the summer, but also that your competition will have more relevant work experience.

Doomed is a strong word, but I think you're probably setting yourself back in the 3L applicant pool.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:if I am doing a 2L BigLaw summer associateship, am I doomed if I want to apply to be a Public Defender next fall?

You are doomed at any of the competitive offices. PD after biglaw reeks of "I got no-offered and am settling"

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:

You are doomed at any of the competitive offices. PD after biglaw reeks of "I got no-offered and am settling"

I've heard conflicting info. A few friends did this and it did work out, but they had to sell themselves very hard. One of them *did* get an offer. You should certainly be prepared to answer the question, "But were you given an offer after your summer?" If you were given an offer, then I think it's a rather powerful sign that you've seen the error of corporate America and have a calling for helping people instead. Definitely make sure you extern at public defender offices before you do a post-grad interview, because with nothing PD-related on the resume they're not going to buy that you're built for this work either.

I actually think the prestigious offices would value biglaw more than other offices. As for most PD offices, most aren't going to give a fuck about your time in biglaw. What they care about is dedication and demonstrable skills, so have those on your resume.

Manali

Postby Manali » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:18 am

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I've heard conflicting info. A few friends did this and it did work out, but they had to sell themselves very hard. One of them *did* get an offer. You should certainly be prepared to answer the question, "But were you given an offer after your summer?" If you were given an offer, then I think it's a rather powerful sign that you've seen the error of corporate America and have a calling for helping people instead. Definitely make sure you extern at public defender offices before you do a post-grad interview, because with nothing PD-related on the resume they're not going to buy that you're built for this work either.

I actually think the prestigious offices would value biglaw more than other offices. As for most PD offices, most aren't going to give a fuck about your time in biglaw. What they care about is dedication and demonstrable skills, so have those on your resume.

Tanicius, I am interested in applying for PDs offices postgrad. Will having done 1L and 2L summer at civil legal aid agencies be seen as a red flag? I am registered for the criminal defense clinic for my 3L year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:23 am

I wouldn't use the term doomed. One first-year PD I know who went to a very "prestigious" office did a 2L SA, and had some strong oral advocacy skills (moot court winner etc.), she, however, is also black, so I think that definitely helped her in the hiring process. Another first-year PD at a different very competitive office, summered as 2L SA but then got a funding grant and was able to land the office.

I think it'll definitely be more difficult, but I wouldn't say you're doomed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

mailed rejection from BDS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yikes. Was this after the second or third round?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:33 pm

I know two people that this was successful for. One did the big law sa and then clerked after graduation. Went form the clerkship to the pd. the other did biglaw for two years and then did pd. both had at least one summer doing pd work AND were full clinic warriors at my school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yikes. Was this after the second or third round?

After second with an encouragement to apply in the future. also lots of people are talking about how BDS is changing things around. i'm not sure what that means

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
StillUnemployed3L wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yea, had a final interview over a month ago, but they didn't think at the time they would make hiring decisions until April. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything since then.

Someone from my school apparently just accepted an attorney position with them so they've made at least 1 offer to a 3L.

Edit: Sorry! scratch that. I'm thinking Bronx, not Brooklyn. These acronyms are confusing.

Manali

Postby Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:02 pm

FlanAl wrote:

I know two people that this was successful for. One did the big law sa and then clerked after graduation. Went form the clerkship to the pd. the other did biglaw for two years and then did pd. both had at least one summer doing pd work AND were full clinic warriors at my school.

FlanAl,

I am a rising 3L who was recently accepted into the criminal defense clinic with my local public defenders' office. The office hires some, but obviously not all of their intern pool.

Any suggestions about how to maximize my chances of getting a full-time offer from the PD's office? The clinic is officially 16-20 hours a week, but I am willing to put in whatever hours necessary to get hired.

ETA: I did civil legal aid 1L and 2L summers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Just received the official fuck off email from LAS after my final round back in November, 5 months later lol. Already accepted another offer luckily.

Best of luck to whoever is still waiting to hear from LAS!

Mucho Maas

Postby Mucho Maas » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:36 pm

Manali wrote:FlanAl,

I am a rising 3L who was recently accepted into the criminal defense clinic with my local public defenders' office. The office hires some, but obviously not all of their intern pool.

Any suggestions about how to maximize my chances of getting a full-time offer from the PD's office? The clinic is officially 16-20 hours a week, but I am willing to put in whatever hours necessary to get hired.

ETA: I did civil legal aid 1L and 2L summers.

I'm not FlaAl (duh) but I work in a PD's office in a big metro area in the South not called New Orleans.

Your gut is right. Even in theory I couldn't imagine a clinic that has a demarcated hour allotment that coexists with the demands of an otherwise normal PD office. There's just too much to think about and do.

In your particular case it sounds like the clinic starts you off with two days a week, at the most, with some time for clinic meetings (if your school does that) and other administrative duties on the students' end (if it counts those, which I think most do these days?). If that's the case, you're going to have to turn down a lot of offers to do more work. Two days a week means that you're never going to be a part of an important trial. 'One day of prep --> one day of trial' is a DUI with shitty facts. Or a misdemeanor. Zzzzz.

The best way to maximize your chances is to just be present more. I'd say look to do three days a week, if you can, and of course if you can even manage 3 1/2 or 4 then you're golden. We don't work five days a week, so anything more is probably gratuitous haha.

Manali wrote:
Tanicius, I am interested in applying for PDs offices postgrad. Will having done 1L and 2L summer at civil legal aid agencies be seen as a red flag? I am registered for the criminal defense clinic for my 3L year.

Since he hasn't responded my .02:

My first question would be along the lines of 'Why have you gone from defending the innocent to defending the guilty?' Someone loses their housing voucher--that's a pitiable sight. It's a human interest case. Legal aid's screeners have made sure she's a working mom. When you get her up there in front of the housing board/commission and plead her case you can argue with inner serenity. She's a mom. She's a sister. She's a Baptist. She's probably even 'innocent.' Now, it seems you want to work with people who lost their housing vouchers a long time ago for being a shitty person, and they just stole from someone with a housing voucher. There's no inner righteousness there.

Also I'd be worried about the DV side of things. You may have spent your whole summer working on orders to keep real assholes away from their wives, their children ect. Maybe you've spent time in dependency hearings trying to get dad's penis out of the house. Now here you are, do you think you can look about thirteen jury members in the eye (twelve in the box, one in the leather chair) and say that he's innocent even if you strongly suspect he ass pounded his kids for a few years?

tl;dr: (1) there's no screening process for PD applicants. (2) Legal aid sometimes involves close cooperation with the State.

pdwannabe

Postby pdwannabe » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:27 pm

i have a question about loan repayment. i thought about putting it in the loan thread, but i figured everyone in this thread is pretty much in the same boat

whats the best repayment program for us to do? i have about 186k in debt and ill be working at a public defenders office making < 50k/yr. don't know if ill stay for the full 10 years but its possible. anyways Im filling out the exit counseling thing and i have no clue what to put. i prob have to do some research but i figured it'd be worth asking in here. what payment plan are you doing?

any 3L who's going to be a PD or anyone who already is a PD could answer this

Return to “Legal Employment”