3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I can't do it forever but I don't regret doing this even though it was way more work than I thought it would be.

damnit I screwed up again and posted anon. It's borhas

Borhas wrote:

What do you see as possibilities for next steps? (tagged b/c I know you're busy).

Thank you for answering questions.

e: it's leela. Apparently this anon business is hard.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You can get a different answer to that question depending on when you ask me, but usually:

I don't mind the hours as much, but the emotional toll can be brutal because it will tax you when you are off the clock. 1) you lose all the time, and a good PD has to be ok with losing because you have to try all sorts of shit. You don't have the luxury of turning down shitty cases with high maintenance or delusional clients. 2) you bond with most of your clients and care for them on a basic human-human level and then you have to tell them all sorts of shitty news about their lives being ruined.

On the other hand I have made a difference in a lot of people's lives for the better, and most of those people deserved a break. As a PD you will get a lot of interesting cases just due to volume. Lastly, I love the people I work with.

I can't do it forever but I don't regret doing this even though it was way more work than I thought it would be.

damnit I screwed up again and posted anon. It's borhas

Public defender from the Wisconsin here. 3 years on the job. I'll echo this post pretty much word for word (though I've had fewer trials!). If anyone has any Wisconsin specific questions, feel free to ask away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:13 am

Manali wrote:Does Washington state hire pre-bar?

Washington doesn't have a state system, and county-level hiring seems sporadic. For open job postings check here: http://www.defensenet.org/position-open ... openings-1
and here:
http://www.kingcounty.gov/courts/public ... atDPD.aspx

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:27 am

Anyone know of offers from BDS? Are they scheduling 3rd round interviews anytime soon? What's going on? ANY information would be nice.

annonymous1389

Postby annonymous1389 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know of offers from BDS? Are they scheduling 3rd round interviews anytime soon? What's going on? ANY information would be nice.

I got my rejection two weeks ago I think they are sending out interviews and rejections in waves

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:35 am

annonymous1389 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know of offers from BDS? Are they scheduling 3rd round interviews anytime soon? What's going on? ANY information would be nice.

I got my rejection two weeks ago I think they are sending out interviews and rejections in waves

was this from a 3rd round interview?

also, I'm sorry to hear that & hope you've ended up somewhere else you're happy with!

annonymous1389

Postby annonymous1389 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
annonymous1389 wrote:

was this from a 3rd round interview?

also, I'm sorry to hear that & hope you've ended up somewhere else you're happy with!

I was rejected before I got the third round, I had my second round in early December

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:48 pm

Has anyone followed up with LAS in NYC to find out when they are making offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone followed up with LAS in NYC to find out when they are making offers

I had a deadline of a certain date and the told me "the 23rd at the earliest"

Obviously that came and went, but that was the last contact I had.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Anyone know the starting salary @ BDS? apologies if this was already covered elsewhere

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:25 pm

If I'm not mistaken it's 60k (I'm like 90% sure)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone followed up with LAS in NYC to find out when they are making offers

I had a deadline of a certain date and the told me "the 23rd at the earliest"

Obviously that came and went, but that was the last contact I had.

thanks for the update

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:04 pm

A friend received an LAS offer. I'm still waiting. LAS is hiring 15.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A friend received an LAS offer. I'm still waiting. LAS is hiring 15.

Can I ask how you know they're hiring 15? Hadn't heard a set number; just curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:17 pm

Anyone hear from fdsd? Anyone know fdsd salary?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A friend received an LAS offer. I'm still waiting. LAS is hiring 15.

Can I ask how you know they're hiring 15? Hadn't heard a set number; just curious.

That's what my friend who received an offer was told. Also at my 3rd round interview Tina said they were hiring ~10-20, and at my 2nd round I was told they were hiring maybe ~12. So something around ~15 is probs correct.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:44 pm

Anyone still in the middle of the NJOPD process? Are they still doing first rounds and has anyone heard back after a final?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's what my friend who received an offer was told. Also at my 3rd round interview Tina said they were hiring ~10-20, and at my 2nd round I was told they were hiring maybe ~12. So something around ~15 is probs correct.

Was your friend who received the offer a law school graduate or a 3L

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

3L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:16 pm

Anyone apply for the opening in PDS's Civil Legal Services Division? If so, have you heard anything - rejection or interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:53 pm

For people looking, CPCS is hiring PD's to represent juveniles. I got a call from them after I accepted somewhere else. I think the interviews are in late April, so if you don't mind living in Massachusetts I'd apply. The website makes it easy to apply for multiple positions at a time (trial, appeal, juvenile).

PDLaw

Postby PDLaw » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Anyone still in the middle of the NJOPD process? Are they still doing first rounds and has anyone heard back after a final?

I am still waiting to hear after a panel interview. I was told that they were meeting with several more candidates in April. Does anyone know if offers have gone out or how many openings might still be available? I would love to get an answer either way soon. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:47 pm

PDLaw wrote:Anyone still in the middle of the NJOPD process? Are they still doing first rounds and has anyone heard back after a final?

I am still waiting to hear after a panel interview. I was told that they were meeting with several more candidates in April. Does anyone know if offers have gone out or how many openings might still be available? I would love to get an answer either way soon. Thanks!

Same boat. Had a "final" round in Trenton over a month ago. Know a few people who had their finals before me. Also know someone who did an initial and a final in the last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:24 pm

Hello all. Have a question and wanted to throw it into the TLS world to see what opinions people have. I am currently considering starting my PD career (for lack of better options) in a medium-size (population approximately 800,000) suburban office in my home state. I'm excited about the prospect of being able to work there, but also worried. The office has a mixed reputation (it's been improving in the last few years, but hasn't always provided incredibly aggressive representation), and I definitely don't want to get stuck there for the rest of my life. Do any of you have ideas about how easy or hard it is to move from a midsize suburban office to a larger city office later on? Are you still hire-able in major cities if your only PD experience is at the suburban level, at a county office no one from out of state would immediately recognize?

Any thoughts would help a great deal. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”