3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:38 am

Responding to the Philadelphia question.

Thanks. Happy about CO. In regards to Philly, I was contacted to schedule a call back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:49 pm

I still haven't heard from philly since my panel. Have others heard?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the person who mentioned feeling polar thoughts about this who process I can definitely relate. It has been a nightmarish few months. I haven't really applied to most of the places mentioned ITT so I haven't had much to add. I am waiting to hear back from a PD place not mentioned ITT. I recently had my interview and they told me I should hear by tomorrow. Naturally I feel anxious as hell, some days I am optimistic, others I am working on convincing myself how okay I will be if I don't get the position. Also simultaneously figuring out a contingency plan if I don't get this gig because it's basically my last hope at pre bar. What are some of y'alls plans if you don't get a PD job pre bar? Take any other job? Volunteer? I recently decided that I am pretty much PD or bust so looks like I might be doing a lot of volunteer work this year :?

bridge to practice/volunteer.

Pretty great ins with the hospitality industry in my city of choice where I would quite literally make more money bartending/waiting tables than I would in PD offices, so there's always that, worst case scenario.

I was the original anonymous quote. I was rejected. I am actually feeling okay about it, not sure if it means I have just given up. I have a volunteer position lined up in CA that I am decently excited about. Seems like it will give pretty solid experience and supervision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:38 am

To the person asking about Philly--I got an offer the day after my panel interview. My friend got an offer too and heard back that night. If they like you after your panel they will take you right up to meet the chief PD and you could get an offer anytime after that. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the person who mentioned feeling polar thoughts about this who process I can definitely relate. It has been a nightmarish few months. I haven't really applied to most of the places mentioned ITT so I haven't had much to add. I am waiting to hear back from a PD place not mentioned ITT. I recently had my interview and they told me I should hear by tomorrow. Naturally I feel anxious as hell, some days I am optimistic, others I am working on convincing myself how okay I will be if I don't get the position. Also simultaneously figuring out a contingency plan if I don't get this gig because it's basically my last hope at pre bar. What are some of y'alls plans if you don't get a PD job pre bar? Take any other job? Volunteer? I recently decided that I am pretty much PD or bust so looks like I might be doing a lot of volunteer work this year :?

bridge to practice/volunteer.

Pretty great ins with the hospitality industry in my city of choice where I would quite literally make more money bartending/waiting tables than I would in PD offices, so there's always that, worst case scenario.

I was the original anonymous quote. I was rejected. I am actually feeling okay about it, not sure if it means I have just given up. I have a volunteer position lined up in CA that I am decently excited about. Seems like it will give pretty solid experience and supervision.

Anon response here...clearly I'm in a great place mentally too. Even though I still have irons in, it's hard to not struggle through this.

It sounds like you just know what your next step is and how to move forward to permanent work; I don't think that's "given up" at all. Cheers, I'm sure in a year you'll have a full time position!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:40 pm

Anyone heard back from MD fall class yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:07 pm

Can anyone give any insight into the Philly panel? I understand it can be half a day and really don't know where to begin with preparation. Good luck everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone give any insight into the Philly panel? I understand it can be half a day and really don't know where to begin with preparation. Good luck everyone.

It's a hypo. You get probable cause, statements, law. You have to talk to your client, strategize, then do some mock trial or motions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:52 am

does anyone know if Legal Aid would reimburse travel expenses (a flight)? Or if it would be worth it to ask? I'm guessing no but figured I'd check here first

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know if Legal Aid would reimburse travel expenses (a flight)? Or if it would be worth it to ask? I'm guessing no but figured I'd check here first

I live out of state and traveled to NYC to the panel interview. I didn't ask about reimbursement, but I'm guessing no as well. They would have said something about potential reimbursement if they offered it I imagine. But idk for sure so don't quote me! Lol.

Are you at the panel stage as well?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Recent grad here, applied to BDS in November and just got a first round interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:03 pm

For anyone who applied to the Maryland fall class, were you told you'd hear by the last week of January too? Trying to decide when I should start assuming it's a no for the spring class. (but already assuming, it's a no.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who applied to the Maryland fall class, were you told you'd hear by the last week of January too? Trying to decide when I should start assuming it's a no for the spring class. (but already assuming, it's a no.)

I applied to fall class. At my initial interview, I was told I'd hear back for panel by end of December and final decisions by end of January. I've not heard from them since my initial interview. :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know if Legal Aid would reimburse travel expenses (a flight)? Or if it would be worth it to ask? I'm guessing no but figured I'd check here first

I live out of state and traveled to NYC to the panel interview. I didn't ask about reimbursement, but I'm guessing no as well. They would have said something about potential reimbursement if they offered it I imagine. But idk for sure so don't quote me! Lol.

I'm at the stage where it's an interview with Tina. So I've already flown in before and didn't ask about reimbursement. So I was curious if anyone else has asked

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at the stage where it's an interview with Tina. So I've already flown in before and didn't ask about reimbursement. So I was curious if anyone else has asked

I think the fact that LAS makes people come in for a five-minute interview with Tina lets you know that they do not care about travel expenses, since the interview could easily be done over the phone. Plus they're always complaining about how small their budget is, and how they won't be able to hire many attorneys this year for that reason. So I doubt they would have the resources for this.

But, hey, the odds of getting reimbursed if you don't ask are 0%, so why not ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

when was your previous interview, if you don't mind my asking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

mid-November

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

mid-November

thank you. good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:31 am

This wait from LAS is killing me. I had flew out to NYC twice (no reimbursement btw, I actually asked about that), but had my Tina round back in late-December. I know the answer is probably no, but does anybody have any insight into when we can expect LAS offers/rejections?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:06 am

why do you think you didn't get it if you made it to the final stage?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:This wait from LAS is killing me. I had flew out to NYC twice (no reimbursement btw, I actually asked about that), but had my Tina round back in late-December. I know the answer is probably no, but does anybody have any insight into when we can expect LAS offers/rejections?

I think Tina's being serious this time when she says offers aren't coming out till April/May. I know of at least three people (a couple of whom had interned at LAS) who reached the Tina stage, told her they had offers pending but wanted Legal Aid, and were all told that b/c there were so few misdemeanor arrests last year Legal Aid really couldn't make early offers.

That being said, I would still reach out to LAS if you have an offer and it's your first choice, because it really seems like you never know with LAS. And chances of getting hired seemed to go up as more people accept other offers, so if you can stand the waiting game, maybe all that travel $$ will become worth it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Anybody out there like me who's PD hiring process has been a total bust this cycle? I saw an earlier poster on here saying they plan to volunteer for another year but financially that's not an option for everybody.... what other jobs are gung-ho PD people considering while still in the hunt/waiting for next cycle? Or any suggestions from anyone that's been in this predicament before/know somebody who has? This sucks :cry:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This wait from LAS is killing me. I had flew out to NYC twice (no reimbursement btw, I actually asked about that), but had my Tina round back in late-December. I know the answer is probably no, but does anybody have any insight into when we can expect LAS offers/rejections?

I think Tina's being serious this time when she says offers aren't coming out till April/May. I know of at least three people (a couple of whom had interned at LAS) who reached the Tina stage, told her they had offers pending but wanted Legal Aid, and were all told that b/c there were so few misdemeanor arrests last year Legal Aid really couldn't make early offers.

That being said, I would still reach out to LAS if you have an offer and it's your first choice, because it really seems like you never know with LAS. And chances of getting hired seemed to go up as more people accept other offers, so if you can stand the waiting game, maybe all that travel $$ will become worth it

So what did Tina tell those folks with offers? Did she just tell them to take their other offers, or are they still in the running for LAS?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody out there like me who's PD hiring process has been a total bust this cycle? I saw an earlier poster on here saying they plan to volunteer for another year but financially that's not an option for everybody.... what other jobs are gung-ho PD people considering while still in the hunt/waiting for next cycle? Or any suggestions from anyone that's been in this predicament before/know somebody who has? This sucks :cry:

Despite having it's own public defender agency, some states contract with private attorneys to take on criminal cases that are conflicted out, etc. The other option I'm considering is to apply a broad range of non-profits. I can't make volunteering financially feasible, either. [Actually, I'd be curious to hear from how others plan to make it work. Maybe I can borrow some tips to swing it.]

I'm sorry to hear about how your cycle ended. But I will be rooting for your success in the next cycle!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who applied to the Maryland fall class, were you told you'd hear by the last week of January too? Trying to decide when I should start assuming it's a no for the spring class. (but already assuming, it's a no.)

Anything close to a timeline, I've read about here from another user who said that fall class should be hearing back 2-3 weeks after their interview. I haven't heard anything from them. I didn't ask about the timeline and the interviewers didn't give me one. :?

Return to “Legal Employment”