3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you guys with Maryland panels interviewing for Spring or Fall 2016?

I'm interviewing for the Fall class, but my interview isn't until early January of 2016.

screening or panel?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Has anybody that applied to Mass. CPCS had an interview yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody that applied to Mass. CPCS had an interview yet?

I just got invited to fill out the longer application yesterday for CPCS. For Maryland, my panel for the Fall Class is in Jan.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Re. NHPD email ding, was that post screener or panel?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Have any recent grads heard back from Brooklyn Defender Services?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody that applied to Mass. CPCS had an interview yet?

I just got invited to fill out the longer application yesterday for CPCS. For Maryland, my panel for the Fall Class is in Jan.

When did you originally apply to CPCS? And can I ask what the longer application entails?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When did you originally apply to CPCS? And can I ask what the longer application entails?

I originally applied about a month ago. Longer application is an extensive form plus 3 letters of recommendation, and possibly some other stuff too! Haven't gotten to look through the entire thing, but it looks crazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have any recent grads heard back from Brooklyn Defender Services?

negative

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Has anyone heard anything about Prettyman?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything about Prettyman?

A friend of a friend had an interview in the beginning of December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:57 pm

Anybody applying for appellate defender jobs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:35 pm

rejection from center for appellate litigation in nyc today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I originally applied about a month ago. Longer application is an extensive form plus 3 letters of recommendation, and possibly some other stuff too! Haven't gotten to look through the entire thing, but it looks crazy.

The CPCS application is insane. I think they want my first born child as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:rejection from center for appellate litigation in nyc today.

Sorry to hear that. I'm waiting to hear back. How did your rejection come? And when did you apply?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:30 pm

Prettyman ding via mail received yesterday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Prettyman ding via mail received yesterday

ditto.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Sorry to hear that. Did you receive the mail ding after being interviewed for the Prettyman, or were you not interviewed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to hear that. Did you receive the mail ding after being interviewed for the Prettyman, or were you not interviewed?

No interview. T2 law school, strong grades particularly in crim, unique criminal law experiences during clinic.

BostonCeltics

Postby BostonCeltics » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:37 am

Does anybody have any insight into PD office "prestige"? Not sure it really matters as much in today's market, but are any offices seen as "better" (i.e., better quality of life, better salary, better city, best training, most resources, etc.) than the others?

I'll concede in advance this is a silly question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:44 pm

hey all, does anyone know if all NHPD offers have been sent out yet? has anyone else not heard either a yes or a no? trying to figure out where i might stand. thanks for any help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Offers from Orlando have started coming out. Anyone have info on the office.

raekaya

Postby raekaya » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:26 pm

BostonCeltics wrote:Does anybody have any insight into PD office "prestige"? Not sure it really matters as much in today's market, but are any offices seen as "better" (i.e., better quality of life, better salary, better city, best training, most resources, etc.) than the others?

I'll concede in advance this is a silly question.

The better question is to break up those elements you've mentioned and ask which office is stronger in each of them.
For example, the common understanding is that PDS of D.C. is among the most "prestigious" offices in the country. The reasons cited are quality training, good attorneys (which in theory they have to be given the fact that they are up against not just the county the D.A but the USAO), and the fact that they are get their funding in accordance with a federal statute so they are very well resourced. They are also in D.C. if that happens to call to you. They are also highly selective-- which probably meant a lot a few years ago but IMO doesn't really set them apart now since pretty much every PD office is just as competitive now.

On the other hand, the Bronx Defenders are very well respected within the PD community as being ahead of the curve and extremely zealous and social justice oriented. However, the starting pay is low and I've gotten the impression that the work-life-balance is pretty askew (which some people are actually looking for in an office, at least to start).

Other offices might not be quite as social-justice oriented but have incredible trial attorneys and/or great work-life balance, etc. So it really depends on what you're looking for in an office.

Obligatory qualifier: I've never worked at the two offices I named above so these are just my impressions from TLS, interviews, etc. Anyone is free to correct me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey all, does anyone know if all NHPD offers have been sent out yet? has anyone else not heard either a yes or a no? trying to figure out where i might stand. thanks for any help.

i haven't heard, although a previous poster seemed to suggest offers had been made by phone last week. i'm really, really hoping to get an offer, so *fingers crossed* they haven't made all offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:hey all, does anyone know if all NHPD offers have been sent out yet? has anyone else not heard either a yes or a no? trying to figure out where i might stand. thanks for any help.

i haven't heard, although a previous poster seemed to suggest offers had been made by phone last week. i'm really, really hoping to get an offer, so *fingers crossed* they haven't made all offers.

thank you. i'm with you--here's hoping for the best for us both!

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:14 pm

There is no PD office that is the slightest bit prestigious. PDS is a really attractive job because it's one of the few PD jobs open to recent grads that has good pay in an desirable location and reasonable case loads.

Keep in mind that federal defenders get the same pay, similar case loads, training, and resources as PDS. PD's in San Francisco get paid more, have similar caseloads, and are essentially more selective than PDS since they only hire people who have years of experience or come from some special program run through Stanford.

Anyway, the idea that PDS is "prestigious" always strikes me as funny. I've only ever seen it on TLS.

Return to “Legal Employment”