3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:LAS waiter here, first time posting. Has anyone tried reaching out to LAS for an update?

Yeah, last week. Still waiting on funding from the State, from what I gathered. Sounds like they are going through (or have already completed) all the references calls, though. Seemed like they were ready to start extending offers once they get word about how many they can hire..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LAS waiter here, first time posting. Has anyone tried reaching out to LAS for an update?

Yeah, last week. Still waiting on funding from the State, from what I gathered. Sounds like they are going through (or have already completed) all the references calls, though. Seemed like they were ready to start extending offers once they get word about how many they can hire..

I also spoke with them last week and was given the same information. Guess it's more waiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I also spoke with them last week and was given the same information. Guess it's more waiting.

Wow...this is really rough. When I interviewed in late March, Tina told me she'd have the budget April 1. This is really frustrating. I just really, really hope that we are not still waiting in May. Being unemployed in the same month I graduate wasn't really in my plan... :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wow...this is really rough. When I interviewed in late March, Tina told me she'd have the budget April 1. This is really frustrating. I just really, really hope that we are not still waiting in May. Being unemployed in the same month I graduate wasn't really in my plan... :)

I'm the second responder. Tina told me the April 1st as well when I interviewed with her in February.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

non-LAS waiter, but we just really need the city govt to figure their stuff out so ALL of us know...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep, I interviewed in February and was told early April. The NYC budget doesn't usually get passed until June, so I don't really know how they thought they could give out earlier decisions this year. I have to imagine they have a general idea of their funding - after all, they're the main PD for the entire city. As an early applicant (Nov 1), this has been a really long wait. I wouldn't mind waiting to start the job, I just would like to know IF I have a job :) Maybe tomorrow? ugh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:26 am

for those of you waiting for LAS/other NY PDs, are you all just taking the NY bar and hoping?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:for those of you waiting for LAS/other NY PDs, are you all just taking the NY bar and hoping?

Yep. I'm taking NY and NJ bars.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Did anyone else pathetically hope LAS was calling today? lol. They are largely my last shot at a pre-bar PD offer, and the stress of it is slowly eating away at my soul.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:13 pm

I feel like we might never find out. I'm being really dramatic about this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm

Just a heads-up that Legal Aid has started making offers via phone. Finally...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:43 pm

Also got a call. It's technically not an official offer, the letters supposedly go out in the coming week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:59 pm

To the two posters who got calls: Do your last names begin with A or B? AKA are they going in alph order?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Also, which offices called your references and who is making the calls? Thanks in advance!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Just got an offer from LAS. FINALLY! Good luck to everyone else. My last name does not begin with A or B.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Did your offer call come from Tina or the attorney that led your panel?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did your offer call come from Tina or the attorney that led your panel?

From Tina

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:24 pm

okay totally waiting by my phone now! thanks for the update everyone. they didn't happen to say how many offers, did they? :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:26 pm

When did the people who have gotten offers have their interviews with Tina?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did the people who have gotten offers have their interviews with Tina?

end of February

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Anyone else still hoping for a call?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:49 pm

I jus got a call from Tina, I had my final Interview at the beginning of April.. My last name does not start with an A or B. Good Luck to everyone !

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:52 pm

waiting, had my interview beginning of Feb, last name early in alphabet. ahhh

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:waiting, had my interview beginning of Feb, last name early in alphabet. ahhh

I'm in basically the same boat. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:48 pm

Also, just an fyi for those who were wondering, start date for LAS is now November 1st.

Return to “Legal Employment”