3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:09 pm

just heard from a friend that philly is giving early offers right now?? can anyone confirm/deny? crazy because i also heard from someone who works there that this is their first or second week of panels, and most offers in the past seem to have gone out in jan/feb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just heard from a friend that philly is giving early offers right now?? can anyone confirm/deny? crazy because i also heard from someone who works there that this is their first or second week of panels, and most offers in the past seem to have gone out in jan/feb.

Confirm. had a friend get an offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word/movement from Brooklyn Defender Services? I know the deadline for Fall 2016 was this past Friday.

they've sent 2nd round interviews from screeners. I know they're in the middle of a round of those right now that runs through January (those candidates all being compared against each other)

Great. Thanks for the answer. Are these candidates from the EJ Fair?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word/movement from Brooklyn Defender Services? I know the deadline for Fall 2016 was this past Friday.

they've sent 2nd round interviews from screeners. I know they're in the middle of a round of those right now that runs through January (those candidates all being compared against each other)

Speaking only for myself, yes. I know about the batch comparison because the lovely woman who scheduled my panel in January told me not to worry about timing (I was trying to jam one in around finals) because everyone would be compared at the end.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Speaking only for myself, yes. I know about the batch comparison because the lovely woman who scheduled my panel in January told me not to worry about timing (I was trying to jam one in around finals) because everyone would be compared at the end.

Your time and responses very appreciated. Good luck with the panel interview!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Your time and responses very appreciated. Good luck with the panel interview!

Anytime, good luck in your wait too. This process is the pits :D

moreprejthanprob

Postby moreprejthanprob » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(Different poster) Can I ask when you were notified about getting a panel interview? I recall that there were separate deadlines for current 3Ls (who were required to do a screener either at EJW or at an on campus interview) vs. recent graduates (who needed to apply separately starting in the beginning of October, the deadline for which was last Friday 12/4). I'm a recent grad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:48 pm

moreprejthanprob wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(Different poster) Can I ask when you were notified about getting a panel interview? I recall that there were separate deadlines for current 3Ls (who were required to do a screener either at EJW or at an on campus interview) vs. recent graduates (who needed to apply separately starting in the beginning of October, the deadline for which was last Friday 12/4). I'm a recent grad.

I'm a 3L who had a screener through EJW. Got a phone call on 11/17. I hope that's helpful information, sorry if I wasn't clear before, I wasn't thinking about recent grads!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
moreprejthanprob wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm a 3L who had a screener through EJW. Got a phone call on 11/17. I hope that's helpful information, sorry if I wasn't clear before, I wasn't thinking about recent grads!

I'm a recent grad too. This information is really useful tho. Happy Wednesday, world. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:24 pm

Has anyone heard of any CO offers going out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:40 pm

Same anon who just posted above, asking about CO offers. Literally as I was posting that comment, my phone vibrated and it was an email from CO extending an offer! Lol. I accepted. So glad this crazy job hunt is over!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:40 pm

Were the Philly offers to people who already graduated and passed the bar? (i.e. law clerks)

I applied back in November and they said they were going to begin panel interviews some time in December and they would contact me in December to set up a panel interview and I still haven't heard from them. I also know some people that interned there this past summer and they said they haven't been contacted to set up a panel interview yet either.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications (2015-2016)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Just accepted an offer from CO!

raekaya

Postby raekaya » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just accepted an offer from CO!

Congratulations!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Were the Philly offers to people who already graduated and passed the bar? (i.e. law clerks)

I applied back in November and they said they were going to begin panel interviews some time in December and they would contact me in December to set up a panel interview and I still haven't heard from them. I also know some people that interned there this past summer and they said they haven't been contacted to set up a panel interview yet either.

anon above who had the friend w/ the job offer at philly. They're a 3L and didn't intern in Philly

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:12 pm

Also received a CO offer pretty excited.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:47 pm

Where did they go to school and what were their credentials?

Just curious how they could've possibly already gotten a job offer when no one else I know that got a panel interview has even been contacted to schedule the panel interview yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:10 pm

I graduated last year and don't even work for Philly, but my sense is that they were very aware how slow they were being (and had a reputation for being). Wouldn't surprise me at all if they decided to try to be more competitive with other offices by speeding things up with a few early offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:12 pm

Congrats to those accepting CO offers! Does anybody know if they're still doing first round interviews? I recently applied (late I know, but the deadline isn't until the 11th) and am waiting to hear back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had my final round with LAS. It conformed with what was mentioned in previous threads on it. Tina said that they don't expect to be making offers until they get their budget around April. The budget will determine how many people they hire, so that's up in the air as well. Sounds like they had/have a ton of applicants too. Let's hope that the most competitive ones get and accept job offers elsewhere by then :P .

In previous years threads it seems like LAS did an early offer class. Did she mention this? In two previous years they have extended 10 early offers in Jan with the remainder in April.

Does anybody know if LAS is doing early offers again this year?

I have it on good authority that LAS will not be making early offers this year.

Any explanation as to why not? Just judging from previous years it seems like they used to to 10 early offers each Janury.

When I did my final round with Tina last week, I asked about early offers, and she told me that they would not be making any this year. Her reason was that LAS receives appropriations based on their number of clients. She said that law enforcement in NYC has done a better job at not arresting low-level offenders, and therefore LAS has fewer clients now, and thus, less money. She said no offers would be made before the end of April/beginning of May, and that they anticipate making ~20 offers this year, which is even less than last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had my final round with LAS. It conformed with what was mentioned in previous threads on it. Tina said that they don't expect to be making offers until they get their budget around April. The budget will determine how many people they hire, so that's up in the air as well. Sounds like they had/have a ton of applicants too. Let's hope that the most competitive ones get and accept job offers elsewhere by then :P .

In previous years threads it seems like LAS did an early offer class. Did she mention this? In two previous years they have extended 10 early offers in Jan with the remainder in April.

Any explanation as to why not? Just judging from previous years it seems like they used to to 10 early offers each Janury.

When I did my final round with Tina last week, I asked about early offers, and she told me that they would not be making any this year. Her reason was that LAS receives appropriations based on their number of clients. She said that law enforcement in NYC has done a better job at not arresting low-level offenders, and therefore LAS has fewer clients now, and thus, less money. She said no offers would be made before the end of April/beginning of May, and that they anticipate making ~20 offers this year, which is even less than last year.

I interviewed with her last week as well. Why would they interview so early if they don't plan to offer until April?

I was also curious whether a final round interview was indicative of an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I interviewed with her last week as well. Why would they interview so early if they don't plan to offer until April?

If I remember correctly, ~500 applied, ~250 were selected for second round interviews, and ~100 were selected for final round interviews. They are hiring ~20 people, and as previous experience indicates, preference seems to be given to prior interns. So I'd say that, unfortunately, a final round interview is not very indicative of getting an offer. But the fact that you got a final round interview means there's a chance. So there's that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If I remember correctly, ~500 applied, ~250 were selected for second round interviews, and ~100 were selected for final round interviews. They are hiring ~20 people, and as previous experience indicates, preference seems to be given to prior interns. So I'd say that, unfortunately, a final round interview is not very indicative of getting an offer. But the fact that you got a final round interview means there's a chance. So there's that.

Tina told me that 500 applied and there were 350 first rounds. Not sure about the second rounds or final rounds, but that's definitely consistent with your estimates. She didn't give me an estimate for hiring and just told me they hired (20-25?) last year and that that could go down this year because of fewer misdem. arrests. While they have high attrition, many of those leaving are felony attnys, so that doesn't necessarily mean more openings for new attnys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats to those accepting CO offers! Does anybody know if they're still doing first round interviews? I recently applied (late I know, but the deadline isn't until the 11th) and am waiting to hear back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Congrats to those accepting CO offers! Does anybody know if they're still doing first round interviews? I recently applied (late I know, but the deadline isn't until the 11th) and am waiting to hear back.

I did a first round interview relatively recently and just got an offer. I assume based on my decision deadline (early January) and what I've seen in this threat in past years that they will do more interviews after they get their responses from this batch of offers. Don't know for sure though!

Return to “Legal Employment”