3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:maryland is sending out emails for panel interviews

shoot, i haven't heard anything yet... hopefully all e-mails haven't been sent :-/ good luck to those that have heard back!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:02 pm

How do posters with LAS final round interviews this week feel? And any word on if they're still extending panel invites?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:58 am

Has anyone been invited to a panel interview at Palm Beach PD that interviewed with them at EJW?

Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications (2015-2016)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:07 pm

i had a panel with NJOPD in November. not sure how it went - they sent a fact pattern a week before and spent the whole interview talking about the fact pattern, and at the end, i had to give a closing argument. they're pretty straightforward with their questions and will move on once you've given them an answer they want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been invited to a panel interview at Palm Beach PD that interviewed with them at EJW?

yes, mine is next week. not sure what to expect

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:49 pm

When are they trying to schedule the panel interviews? Soon, like before the holidays? Or January?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:31 pm

call for final round interview with tina at LAS today. guess they are sending them in batches?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi!

For those of you going through the LAS process - and in case you are wondering what to expect from interviews, timeline, etc., I went through the process last year and got an offer, so figured I'd post:

I just graduated law school in May (in NY). I had a total of three interviews with LAS. First interview was with two attorneys (this was through a career fair), then the interview with two senior attorneys in which they asked me to do the closing argument. Then the interview with Tina. The interview with Tina was just a VERY BRIEF conversation. Did not feel like an interview actually, haha . This was in January.

THEN, MONTHS AFTER... exactly the day of my graduation (late May), I was called and offered a spot. However, I had decided to move back to California by then. So the spot went to someone else. However, someone from my school was offered a spot before me.

Point being: This process with LAS can take FOREVER, so be patient if you really, really, really want it.

Good luck to all of you going through the process, and many thanks for your commitment to indigent defense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:11 pm

Anyone know when Colorado is making offers or if any have gone out? I forgot to ask for a timeline.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi!

For those of you going through the LAS process - and in case you are wondering what to expect from interviews, timeline, etc., I went through the process last year and got an offer, so figured I'd post:

I just graduated law school in May (in NY). I had a total of three interviews with LAS. First interview was with two attorneys (this was through a career fair), then the interview with two senior attorneys in which they asked me to do the closing argument. Then the interview with Tina. The interview with Tina was just a VERY BRIEF conversation. Did not feel like an interview actually, haha . This was in January.

THEN, MONTHS AFTER... exactly the day of my graduation (late May), I was called and offered a spot. However, I had decided to move back to California by then. So the spot went to someone else. However, someone from my school was offered a spot before me.

Point being: This process with LAS can take FOREVER, so be patient if you really, really, really want it.

Good luck to all of you going through the process, and many thanks for your commitment to indigent defense.

thank you for this information!

Any general tips for those us who really, really want LAS about how you made it happen? And of course, thanks for taking the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:56 pm

Had my final round with LAS. It conformed with what was mentioned in previous threads on it. Tina said that they don't expect to be making offers until they get their budget around April. The budget will determine how many people they hire, so that's up in the air as well. Sounds like they had/have a ton of applicants too. Let's hope that the most competitive ones get and accept job offers elsewhere by then :P .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Any general tips for those us who really, really want LAS about how you made it happen? And of course, thanks for taking the time.

Of course -
I interned with them during my time in law school, so that probably helped. I also wrote thank you emails to interviewers sometime shortly after my interviews. I honestly think it's about staying in their radar after your last interview, and using every contact you have with their office so they pull strings for you. If you are a 3L with no contacts in that office, inquire about interning there next semester, even if you are about to graduate, and even if it's just a few hours per week - show your commitment. This is not the time to be shy. Reach out like there is no tomorrow. And make it happen! Hope that helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Of course -
I interned with them during my time in law school, so that probably helped. I also wrote thank you emails to interviewers sometime shortly after my interviews. I honestly think it's about staying in their radar after your last interview, and using every contact you have with their office so they pull strings for you. If you are a 3L with no contacts in that office, inquire about interning there next semester, even if you are about to graduate, and even if it's just a few hours per week - show your commitment. This is not the time to be shy. Reach out like there is no tomorrow. And make it happen! Hope that helps.

Super helpful, thanks for the insight!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know when Colorado is making offers or if any have gone out? I forgot to ask for a timeline.

They should be making some hiring decisions this month.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:24 pm

Anyone heard anything from CO?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Had my final round with LAS. It conformed with what was mentioned in previous threads on it. Tina said that they don't expect to be making offers until they get their budget around April. The budget will determine how many people they hire, so that's up in the air as well. Sounds like they had/have a ton of applicants too. Let's hope that the most competitive ones get and accept job offers elsewhere by then :P .

In previous years threads it seems like LAS did an early offer class. Did she mention this? In two previous years they have extended 10 early offers in Jan with the remainder in April.

Does anybody know if LAS is doing early offers again this year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had my final round with LAS. It conformed with what was mentioned in previous threads on it. Tina said that they don't expect to be making offers until they get their budget around April. The budget will determine how many people they hire, so that's up in the air as well. Sounds like they had/have a ton of applicants too. Let's hope that the most competitive ones get and accept job offers elsewhere by then :P .

In previous years threads it seems like LAS did an early offer class. Did she mention this? In two previous years they have extended 10 early offers in Jan with the remainder in April.

I have it on good authority that LAS will not be making early offers this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

When are they trying to schedule the panel interviews? Soon, like before the holidays? Or January?

anybody know?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:30 pm

re. maryland panel interviews, next week. crazy fast turnaround. although i am interviewing for spring class, keep that in mind, not fall class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:29 pm

re: maryland panels, i am applying for the fall class and had a panel in november. haven't heard anything since though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:re: maryland panels, i am applying for the fall class and had a panel in november. haven't heard anything since though.

they did panel interviews for fall before they even scheduled them for spring? lol. At this point I have no idea what the deal is with Maryland's hiring process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have it on good authority that LAS will not be making early offers this year.

Any explanation as to why not? Just judging from previous years it seems like they used to to 10 early offers each Janury.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:54 pm

What does the Maryland panel consist of?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Any word/movement from Brooklyn Defender Services? I know the deadline for Fall 2016 was this past Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word/movement from Brooklyn Defender Services? I know the deadline for Fall 2016 was this past Friday.

they've sent 2nd round interviews from screeners. I know they're in the middle of a round of those right now that runs through January (those candidates all being compared against each other)

Return to “Legal Employment”