3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:25 am

Anybody with final rounds at LAS that has received an offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:31 pm

Not a 3L but applying this cycle... Anyone heard back from OPD in Maryland about second round interviews? The last day for screening interviews was supposed to be 11/24.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:18 pm

i have a 2nd round interview with OPD coming up in a couple weeks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have a 2nd round interview with OPD coming up in a couple weeks


Congrats! When did Johanna contact you? I haven't been contacted yet so I guess that means I'm out...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:41 pm

were maryland screener interviews just with Johanna or with a panel of interviewers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:were maryland screener interviews just with Johanna or with a panel of interviewers?


I believe the first round screeners are with Johanna and maybe one or two other attorneys in Baltimore. The second round panel interviews are with Johanna and with attorneys from the specific Districts--I guess whatever district they are considering placing you. I think.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i have a 2nd round interview with OPD coming up in a couple weeks


Congrats! When did Johanna contact you? I haven't been contacted yet so I guess that means I'm out...


oh wait, i thought OPD meant orlando public defender. nevermind, i never had a first interview with maryland

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i have a 2nd round interview with OPD coming up in a couple weeks


Congrats! When did Johanna contact you? I haven't been contacted yet so I guess that means I'm out...


oh wait, i thought OPD meant orlando public defender. nevermind, i never had a first interview with maryland


You scared me, dude ... lol :shock:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i have a 2nd round interview with OPD coming up in a couple weeks


Congrats! When did Johanna contact you? I haven't been contacted yet so I guess that means I'm out...


oh wait, i thought OPD meant orlando public defender. nevermind, i never had a first interview with maryland


You scared me, dude ... lol :shock:


FYI to the above poster--I just had a screener with Johanna yesterday, and according to the e-mail she sent me they'll be conducting them through December 1 at least. So I wouldn't worry about Maryland just yet--probably will take another few days or weeks to hear back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i have a 2nd round interview with OPD coming up in a couple weeks


Congrats! When did Johanna contact you? I haven't been contacted yet so I guess that means I'm out...


oh wait, i thought OPD meant orlando public defender. nevermind, i never had a first interview with maryland


You scared me, dude ... lol :shock:


FYI to the above poster--I just had a screener with Johanna yesterday, and according to the e-mail she sent me they'll be conducting them through December 1 at least. So I wouldn't worry about Maryland just yet--probably will take another few days or weeks to hear back.


Ahhh, I see. Thanks! That was helpful & calmed my nerves a little bit. I'll update in here when, and IF, I hear back about second round lol.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i have a 2nd round interview with OPD coming up in a couple weeks


Congrats! When did Johanna contact you? I haven't been contacted yet so I guess that means I'm out...


oh wait, i thought OPD meant orlando public defender. nevermind, i never had a first interview with maryland


You scared me, dude ... lol :shock:


FYI to the above poster--I just had a screener with Johanna yesterday, and according to the e-mail she sent me they'll be conducting them through December 1 at least. So I wouldn't worry about Maryland just yet--probably will take another few days or weeks to hear back.

thanks for the information! Also waiting; I appreciate it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:59 pm

How are TLSers feeling about their LAS final round interview with Tina?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are TLSers feeling about their LAS final round interview with Tina?


I don't really know what to feel. I'm glad that I have the opportunity, but I wish it was like several years ago, where most people who made it to the final round got the job (because they were hiring around 75 ppl). I also don't really know what to expect. An informal chat? Hypos? Oh well. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are TLSers feeling about their LAS final round interview with Tina?


I don't really know what to feel. I'm glad that I have the opportunity, but I wish it was like several years ago, where most people who made it to the final round got the job (because they were hiring around 75 ppl). I also don't really know what to expect. An informal chat? Hypos? Oh well. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Good luck to everyone!


I had my Tina interview. Literally just a chat. No word on when offers would go out.

Has anybody been fortunate enough to receive an LAS offer yet?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Tanicius » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are TLSers feeling about their LAS final round interview with Tina?


I don't really know what to feel. I'm glad that I have the opportunity, but I wish it was like several years ago, where most people who made it to the final round got the job (because they were hiring around 75 ppl). I also don't really know what to expect. An informal chat? Hypos? Oh well. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Good luck to everyone!


I had my Tina interview. Literally just a chat. No word on when offers would go out.

Has anybody been fortunate enough to receive an LAS offer yet?


Yeah, I think the above poster is right -- re: it's not what it used to be. LAS is probably the most random and capricious hiring program for PDs in the country. Tina's interview sounds like it's little more than an exercise in making sure you're a breathing human, and that places you at the mercy of what are probably mathematical point-based rankings from your panel interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Has anyone that did the panel interview at NHPD hear back about offers yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:08 pm

I was told at my panel that they are doing panel interviews through December 14th and looking to make offers after that. He told me to expect to hear by February. It seems in the past they've made offers before that, though, so could be that they come out earlier...but I haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:29 pm

NHPD panel people, how long was the interview? I'm increasingly concerned I booked my flight out too tight :/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NHPD panel people, how long was the interview? I'm increasingly concerned I booked my flight out too tight :/


Whole thing with preparation takes about 2 hours.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NHPD panel people, how long was the interview? I'm increasingly concerned I booked my flight out too tight :/


Whole thing with preparation takes about 2 hours.

awesome, thanks. that's what I was hoping when I made plans, but as the interview approached, the mind spirals!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:41 pm

has anyone done 2nd round interviews with orlando or palm beach?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:52 pm

maryland is sending out emails for panel interviews

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:31 pm

Maryland panel interview poster: are you a 3L or alum?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:51 pm

i graduated in 2014 and am applying for spring class

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i graduated in 2014 and am applying for spring class


Got it. Thank you!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.