3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yea I had my final round at the same time. Well I hope the news will be coming soon, good luck!


ugh yea, you too!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:12 am

When someone gets an offer from LAS, would you mind posting? Just kind of going out of my mind with this waiting...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:33 am

Does anyone know the starting salary at LAS?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 am

I'm going insane as well and I have heard that we will probably hear back by the end of this month, good luck

hopin10
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby hopin10 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:49 am

I think LAS starting salary is around 45 in Manhattan. It's lower in the other boroughs.

Someone please correct me if I'm off here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:01 pm

hopin10 wrote:I think LAS starting salary is around 45 in Manhattan. It's lower in the other boroughs.

Someone please correct me if I'm off here.


That is lower than MA and surrounding states!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 pm

hopin10 wrote:I think LAS starting salary is around 45 in Manhattan. It's lower in the other boroughs.

Someone please correct me if I'm off here.

I had in mind that it was $48,000 and rose to $51,000 upon admittance to the bar but I can't find that info anywhere now

nevermind that's Nassau County

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:52 pm

LAS is going through the reference calls right now. I believe that they are waiting on funding from the state before they start making calls/sending offer letters. I know BDS has had finals rounds and is also waiting on whether they get funding or not before they start extending offers. With that said, I agree that we should all post when we start hearing back so we're not anxiety-ridden freaks for the next 2 months :).

Also, i thought LAS was somewhere around 53k starting, but maybe my information is off...or maybe that's what your salary jumps to AFTER you get the bar results.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:LAS is going through the reference calls right now. I believe that they are waiting on funding from the state before they start making calls/sending offer letters. I know BDS has had finals rounds and is also waiting on whether they get funding or not before they start extending offers. With that said, I agree that we should all post when we start hearing back so we're not anxiety-ridden freaks for the next 2 months :).

Also, i thought LAS was somewhere around 53k starting, but maybe my information is off...or maybe that's what your salary jumps to AFTER you get the bar results.


Finding it difficult to even studying for finals right now. We need to just call up the City and be like, "listen, y'all need to put out the revised conflicts budget, ASAP. Please." Fingers crossed that we hear by month's end.

How many (unique) people are waiting?

I'm a BDS-waiter, fwiw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Had a reference called yesterday by LAS. Had my final round with Tina in February. The waiting game is painful but hopefully we hear good news soon. FWIW, we should be glad if we find out by the end of April or early May. I had a buddy who didn't get his offer last year until probably the end of July, so all things considered, this year's application cycle is moving faster.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LAS is going through the reference calls right now. I believe that they are waiting on funding from the state before they start making calls/sending offer letters. I know BDS has had finals rounds and is also waiting on whether they get funding or not before they start extending offers. With that said, I agree that we should all post when we start hearing back so we're not anxiety-ridden freaks for the next 2 months :).

Also, i thought LAS was somewhere around 53k starting, but maybe my information is off...or maybe that's what your salary jumps to AFTER you get the bar results.


Finding it difficult to even studying for finals right now. We need to just call up the City and be like, "listen, y'all need to put out the revised conflicts budget, ASAP. Please." Fingers crossed that we hear by month's end.

How many (unique) people are waiting?

I'm a BDS-waiter, fwiw.


They told me they were only interviewing 6-8 people for third rounds, so I'm assuming that many? But yeah, I'm waiting as well.

Nice to see that a bunch of us are in it together, at least!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LAS is going through the reference calls right now. I believe that they are waiting on funding from the state before they start making calls/sending offer letters. I know BDS has had finals rounds and is also waiting on whether they get funding or not before they start extending offers. With that said, I agree that we should all post when we start hearing back so we're not anxiety-ridden freaks for the next 2 months :).

Also, i thought LAS was somewhere around 53k starting, but maybe my information is off...or maybe that's what your salary jumps to AFTER you get the bar results.


Finding it difficult to even studying for finals right now. We need to just call up the City and be like, "listen, y'all need to put out the revised conflicts budget, ASAP. Please." Fingers crossed that we hear by month's end.

How many (unique) people are waiting?

I'm a BDS-waiter, fwiw.


They told me they were only interviewing 6-8 people for third rounds, so I'm assuming that many? But yeah, I'm waiting as well.

Nice to see that a bunch of us are in it together, at least!


I'm the original poster -- yeah, I don't recall hearing an exact number, but I was told it was a small handful of us so that if they got the funding, they could (hopefully) take all of us. Not sure how many went to second rounds, though. FINGERS CROSSED.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:44 pm

I believe LAS starts at $48 and jumps to $53 with bar passage. ive posted before but I'm so anxious waiting! Thinking of calling and trying to gauge when we'll hear. Have to order bar review books at some point soon!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 pm

Welp, Friday came and went. Have a great weekend, my fellow waiters. And here's to hoping that budgets get set, calls get made, and celebratory replies are posted sometime next week. Good luck wrapping up classes and finals, too!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:27 am

That was probably the best post anyone has ever made on this god forsaken thread, I can't wait for this to be done with lol good luck everyone!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:16 pm

Does anyone know what it means once Legal Aid starts calling your references? Does it mean that they've decided to hire you but they just want to double check that you in fact the "right" person? Or does it mean that their final decision will be contingent on what they hear back from your references?

Thank you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what it means once Legal Aid starts calling your references? Does it mean that they've decided to hire you but they just want to double check that you in fact the "right" person? Or does it mean that their final decision will be contingent on what they hear back from your references?

Thank you.


I sort of think it's both. Traditionally, when employers check references, they want to make sure there aren't negative reviews from references. They want to gauge what kind of person you are like to work with and also to make sure any red flags are avoided. So if you have a reference who's going to say that you were always hungover at work or something, or had disciplinary issues, then that's bad. But otherwise, they just want to make sure you're a good worker/good to work with.

Employers don't usually take the time to vet references unless they plan to hire you. So in some ways, the responses are the last hurdle . But if you don't have bad references, you should get hired? at least that's the CW. I think what everyone said about LAS last year still stands - if you made it through the 3rd round interview, they probably want you. So if you have good references, you should get hired? No idea on #s for 3rd rounds vs # of spots, though. Hope this helps!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:03 pm

I don't think calling the References means that they have decided to hired you. This definitely depends on the office that you are applying to. I am not sure about Legal Aid, but I know of other offices that call references in order to help them eliminate candidates. Unless you have heard from Tina that they will be hiring you (early offers) then you will have to wait until they contact you. The waiting game is no fun. On a positive note though, if you have gotten to the 3rd interview you have gone through the toughest part of the interview process... at least for Legal Aid.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think calling the References means that they have decided to hired you. This definitely depends on the office that you are applying to. I am not sure about Legal Aid, but I know of other offices that call references in order to help them eliminate candidates. Unless you have heard from Tina that they will be hiring you (early offers) then you will have to wait until they contact you. The waiting game is no fun. On a positive note though, if you have gotten to the 3rd interview you have gone through the toughest part of the interview process... at least for Legal Aid.


What offices are you talking about that call references to eliminate people? That seems like a lot of effort to eliminate candidates...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't think calling the References means that they have decided to hired you. This definitely depends on the office that you are applying to. I am not sure about Legal Aid, but I know of other offices that call references in order to help them eliminate candidates. Unless you have heard from Tina that they will be hiring you (early offers) then you will have to wait until they contact you. The waiting game is no fun. On a positive note though, if you have gotten to the 3rd interview you have gone through the toughest part of the interview process... at least for Legal Aid.


What offices are you talking about that call references to eliminate people? That seems like a lot of effort to eliminate candidates...


I know that DC PDS checked on reference to eliminate before hiring the people they did in January. I also heard Colorado did this. Just two offices I have heard of.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:42 am

The waiting is killing me. :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:The waiting is killing me. :(



Me too! I'm really starting to go insance

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The waiting is killing me. :(



Me too! I'm really starting to go insane

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:17 pm

LAS waiter here, first time posting. Has anyone tried reaching out to LAS for an update?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The waiting is killing me. :(



Me too! I'm really starting to go insane


Same, same, same. every time I leave my phone to go to the gym or shower (or lock it away so I can actually study for once) I always get my hopes up when I pick it up and don't have a voicemail :( sad life.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.