3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:03 pm

the person who posted last year said they received their call at like 4:59PM, but i guess it's also entirely possibly nothing at all will happen today..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the person who posted last year said they received their call at like 4:59PM, but i guess it's also entirely possibly nothing at all will happen today..

I cannot decide whether to hope or not to hope....ARGH...I want this job so badly! (Like everyone else who applied lol...)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:the person who posted last year said they received their call at like 4:59PM, but i guess it's also entirely possibly nothing at all will happen today..

I cannot decide whether to hope or not to hope....ARGH...I want this job so badly! (Like everyone else who applied lol...)

No news is . . . stressful

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insight on the Alaska Public Defender telephone interview and their hiring process? Thanks so much!

If this Anon sees this, how did the interview go / any tips for future applicants?

CaptainLeela

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications (2015-2016)

Postby CaptainLeela » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:25 am

Checking in. I think an annual thread is a good idea, the timelines all tend to blend together (terrifyingly). I know I'm starting to research/prep and I don't want to step on the toes of the current thread.

Good call

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:44 pm

Is it possible that LAS Criminal Practice gave out offers yesterday or throughout April and it just so happened to be people who don't read/don't post on here? Tina did tell me at my interview they would be given out before the bar deadline. I'm basically just waiting for the email saying they've extended all their offers and are waiting to hear back. Hoping for wait list offer instead of outright rejection

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible that LAS Criminal Practice gave out offers yesterday or throughout April and it just so happened to be people who don't read/don't post on here? Tina did tell me at my interview they would be given out before the bar deadline. I'm basically just waiting for the email saying they've extended all their offers and are waiting to hear back. Hoping for wait list offer instead of outright rejection

Seems unlikely, but maybe someone's gotten info from their school's career office about this?

If that's what she told you then it sounds like today is decision day. Gulp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible that LAS Criminal Practice gave out offers yesterday or throughout April and it just so happened to be people who don't read/don't post on here? Tina did tell me at my interview they would be given out before the bar deadline. I'm basically just waiting for the email saying they've extended all their offers and are waiting to hear back. Hoping for wait list offer instead of outright rejection

I was told that at the Tina interview too, though I guess it's possible to give offers after the bar deadline, as BDS does. I also hope that offers weren't given out yesterday and those of us here are just in the dark.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I was told that at the Tina interview too, though I guess it's possible to give offers after the bar deadline, as BDS does. I also hope that offers weren't given out yesterday and those of us here are just in the dark.

I was told they'd have decisions made by late February...I'm hoping they're just trying to make the numbers work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was told they'd have decisions made by late February...I'm hoping they're just trying to make the numbers work.

Make the numbers work, as in, to hire everybody on that status e-mail?? I'll second that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:22 pm

great thread and also starting to prep for the application cycle. I'm very interested in the Florida PD offices - specifically Miami, West Palm, and Ft. Lauderdale

-I know a fair amount about Miami in terms of its rep and competitiveness, but can anyone speak to West Palm or Ft Lauderdale and how competitive those offices tend to be? And as far the FL offices in each district that tend to not be at EJW or OCI - when is the proper time to apply to those offices directly and do they generally hire entry level each year?

Any info appreciated, thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:25 pm

Update: The LAS budget still isn't finalized. They've made all the offers they can with the money they know they'll have, but basically nothing has moved since the last status email back in March. The person I talked to emphasized again that the class will be smaller than past years — maybe significantly judging from the tone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Update: The LAS budget still isn't finalized. They've made all the offers they can with the money they know they'll have, but basically nothing has moved since the last status email back in March. The person I talked to emphasized again that the class will be smaller than past years — maybe significantly judging from the tone.

Good scoop - are you an applicant or current attorney? Any further details - does this mean they've hired the 10 initial folks and might hire only 25-30 total? Or is it possible there are only a few spots left to fill?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Update: The LAS budget still isn't finalized. They've made all the offers they can with the money they know they'll have, but basically nothing has moved since the last status email back in March. The person I talked to emphasized again that the class will be smaller than past years — maybe significantly judging from the tone.

Good scoop - are you an applicant or current attorney? Any further details - does this mean they've hired the 10 initial folks and might hire only 25-30 total? Or is it possible there are only a few spots left to fill?
Fellow applicant. My sense was more the former — I don't think they've been making additional offers at all since the first few. But anything is possible, I didn't get a lot of specifics.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Fellow applicant. My sense was more the former — I don't think they've been making additional offers at all since the first few. But anything is possible, I didn't get a lot of specifics.

Did they say anything about registering for the bar exam?!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did they say anything about registering for the bar exam?!
Just that we have to register for July if we want to be considered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:20 pm

Has anyone heard an update about LAS JRP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard an update about LAS JRP?

It's still April, it says no calls until May several times in the thread...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 12:40 pm

I find it really hard to believe that the budget actually isn't finalized, unless they're waiting to see how much turnover they're going to have. Seems like they're just dawdling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 8:36 pm

For those who have gotten LAS offers in the criminal division (either in December or later) have you received a contract?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 02, 2015 9:22 am

Going to post it here instead of in a new thread because people are already discussing it--has anyone heard back on LAS' Civil positions that were recently posted? Or given a timeline? Are we to presume it's the same as JRP/Criminal?

criminaltheory

Postby criminaltheory » Sat May 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Tag

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2015 11:44 am

Does anyone know how many Fellows NDS usually takes and/or will extend offers to this cycle? Thanks.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun May 03, 2015 1:02 pm

Checking in.

raekaya

Postby raekaya » Sun May 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Checking in. I also thought I'd link to the 2014 Equal Justice Works thread since it could be relevant? I'm not sure since I've never been. Would love thoughts on whether it would be worth going as a 3L. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=235106

Return to “Legal Employment”