3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anjmissy wrote:And nothing you just said excludes the fact that going back on an acceptance is unprofessional..I never suggested she/he shouldn't do it..

Calling it unprofessional is the same as saying he shouldn't do it. It's ridiculous to even suggest that it's a bad thing to do. He's not leaving them high and dry, he's literally given about 5 months notice.

*edit - accidentally used anon reply*

In an idea world, he is able to go to his dream job while keeping it professional. The network of public defenders (especially among the *top* public defender offices, i.e., Miami, San Diego, LA, Bronx, blah blah blah) is pretty small. And they all talk/know each other - especially people on top.

With that said, he should be fine as long as the way he withdraws his offer is professional. Have an actual phone conversation with the hiring manager as opposed to just sending an email, etc. The hiring manager was probably once in your shoes. So he/she will understand. Just don't send a random email saying "Thanks but no thanks."

Congrats! And good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:07 pm

eaternation wrote:Rising 3L. PD gunner.

Has anyone on TLS composed a comprehensive 3L application/hiring timeline guide? (app, callbacks, offers, etc). I am most interested in CA, but I believe a comprehensive guide would be great for all aspiring PD/DA's. I've read through most of this thread and the "How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?" thread but never in one sitting. I apologize if there already a comprehensive timeline but I don't remember one. There is a lot of great info but it is spread across the two long threads. If a group of TLSers has the time, knowledge and time to create one, future TLSers would be grateful. Thanks.

*I've read through the UC Davis, UVA, and a few of the other PD hiring guides.

I'm a 2014 grad and I've been applying to PD offices all over California. To answer your question, California is all over the place when it comes to hiring timelines. Northern California and Central California offices began accepting applications as early as July, while the offices in Southern California began accepting applications in March. If you want more information on post-bar or the hiring process in general, I'd be happy to explain further. I sure as hell wish someone prepped me, California is a tough nut to crack for a PD gig.

wannabeapd2014

Postby wannabeapd2014 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:08 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a PD job a few months ago in a state I have no connections to, and today I just received an offer from my dream office (where I've interned and that's in my home state). My gut tells me I need to take the new offer because I know it's where I want to end up and I know the opportunity to work there likely won't come up again.

Is there a recommended procedure for the most respectful way to back out on an offer? I know they'll probably be upset either way but I want to be as delicate as possible with this whole thing because I do feel like a dick.

Apologize for late notice and say you can no longer accept the job offer due to a change in circumstances. Vaguery is fine and they won't remember you existed in a month.

Agreed.

I know someone who accepted an offer at a top office on the East Coast and months later was offered (and accepted) an offer at an "even better" PDS office. That person is still alive and thriving. The people who were once upset or irritated by the decision have moved on and could care less.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:C'mon Fed. Def. of San Diego and/or LAS - give us some signs!

k. That's all.

Amen. Re: LAS, we're way past the April 1 budget deadline date, does anyone have any scoop on nyc pd budgets?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:22 pm

seatown12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DC, Brooklyn and Miami PDs are doing screening interviews at my school at the end of the month for 3L hiring. New Orleans is doing a resume collect for 3Ls.

Any updates? From anyone?

Agreed. To add to the stress, I'm going to take a different state bar if I don't get this job, so I need them to get back to me by April 30. Is this even on their radar?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
seatown12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DC, Brooklyn and Miami PDs are doing screening interviews at my school at the end of the month for 3L hiring. New Orleans is doing a resume collect for 3Ls.

Agreed. To add to the stress, I'm going to take a different state bar if I don't get this job, so I need them to get back to me by April 30. Is this even on their radar?

last year BDS gave offers in may, june, and july. just a head's up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
seatown12 wrote:

last year BDS gave offers in may, june, and july. just a head's up.

Some people at my school were offered spots at Miami for Class of 2015.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
seatown12 wrote:

also, someone from last year posted that LAS didn't make calls till April 29th, the day before the NY bar deadline. so, maybe we'll hear in a week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:35 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the final round LAS JRP interview?

Mine seemed to have its ups and downs, but it went pretty well I think...I'm just not sure how many people they are planning to hire nor how many final interviews there were.

eaternation

Postby eaternation » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
eaternation wrote:Rising 3L. PD gunner.

Has anyone on TLS composed a comprehensive 3L application/hiring timeline guide? (app, callbacks, offers, etc). I am most interested in CA, but I believe a comprehensive guide would be great for all aspiring PD/DA's. I've read through most of this thread and the "How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?" thread but never in one sitting. I apologize if there already a comprehensive timeline but I don't remember one. There is a lot of great info but it is spread across the two long threads. If a group of TLSers has the time, knowledge and time to create one, future TLSers would be grateful. Thanks.

*I've read through the UC Davis, UVA, and a few of the other PD hiring guides.

I'm a 2014 grad and I've been applying to PD offices all over California. To answer your question, California is all over the place when it comes to hiring timelines. Northern California and Central California offices began accepting applications as early as July, while the offices in Southern California began accepting applications in March. If you want more information on post-bar or the hiring process in general, I'd be happy to explain further. I sure as hell wish someone prepped me, California is a tough nut to crack for a PD gig.

'
If you could PM me or post more, I would appreciate it. Thanks

eaternation

3L Public Defender Applications (2015-2016)

Postby eaternation » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:06 am

Hello,

This is a place for 3L PD hopefuls (specifically class of 2016) to check in and talk about the job/post-bar/post-grad PD search. The current "3L Public Defender Application" thread (referenced below) is a bit long.

Goal:
From the original "3L Public Defender Application" thread
"It would be nice if we could keep track of what PD offices have sent out interview notifications/rejections/offers for 3Ls looking for permanent positions."

Useful Threads
3L Public Defender Applications
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&start=25

How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=100

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on the final round LAS JRP interview?

Mine seemed to have its ups and downs, but it went pretty well I think...I'm just not sure how many people they are planning to hire nor how many final interviews there were.

56 people at the final round for 5-6 spots in May and 10-12 in October, at least that's what I was told in my final round interview. I assume the 5-6 spots will go to those who already worked at LAS... but 15-18 spots out of 56 isn't that awful if you're taking the NY bar anyway...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on the final round LAS JRP interview?

56 people at the final round for 5-6 spots in May and 10-12 in October, at least that's what I was told in my final round interview. I assume the 5-6 spots will go to those who already worked at LAS... but 15-18 spots out of 56 isn't that awful if you're taking the NY bar anyway...

Does that mean that the 10-12 in October will not know until then?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:07 am

I was told at my final interview that hiring decisions would be made the beginning of May. I withdrew my application after the interview because I had a pending offer and LAS wouldn't have been able to give me an answer by my deadline, so that brings the pool down one person! Good luck to everyone else!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah that was my understanding, everyone aside from the 5-6 will be waitlisted and then they'll offer more in October.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah that was my understanding, everyone aside from the 5-6 will be waitlisted and then they'll offer more in October.

Well that just makes me sad...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:01 pm

soooo....for those you who applied to basically every PD office you could think of...as I plan to do...did anyone completely strike out on offers? I'm not asking to be an asshole...I'm just legitimately interested in the brutality that is about to come..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:soooo....for those you who applied to basically every PD office you could think of...as I plan to do...did anyone completely strike out on offers? I'm not asking to be an asshole...I'm just legitimately interested in the brutality that is about to come..

I have friends who did..if that happens I say prepare a back up plan early on..one thing I did before I got an offer was contacted an office I worked at 1L summer (non pre bar va office) and suggested doing a fellowship..where my school will pay me a stipend for 3 months and in exchange the office would consider me for their next opening, they loved that idea..I had this talk in early February. Don't wait until April/May with no gigs to contact non pre bar offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:36 pm

any idea what made them strike out? I know thats a broad question but I mean..did they have all their t's crossed and i's dotted i.e. clinic experience/internships at past offices.. or was it more poor interviewing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any idea what made them strike out? I know thats a broad question but I mean..did they have all their t's crossed and i's dotted i.e. clinic experience/internships at past offices.. or was it more poor interviewing?

the biggest reason is that there just arent enough positions to go around. I remember not getting one position, made it through all the rounds, and in the end, they just liked another person more, or that person was a Gideon fellow, there are excellent applicants who simply don't land a position. It's no golden formula to this, you can have awesome grades, pd work both summers, clinic experience, and know people in the office, and still not land the job. I would just say during the interview, still with your own personality, don't feed them what you think they want to hear. It's ok to go back and forth debating something in an interview, I know I did. And know the office that you are interviewing for, everyone is different.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:18 pm

so LAS has to tell us tomorrow, right?? i am nervous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so LAS has to tell us tomorrow, right?? i am nervous.

why do they have to say something tomorrow?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

well, bar registration deadline is thursday, but i guess they don't HAVE to say anything. also i'm pretty sure someone said in this threat that last year they sent out decisions on april 29th.

if they just don't say anything... idk, should i just register for the bar there anyway? $250 isn't too much in the scheme of things, but i wouldn't be in new york if i don't get LAS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

well, bar registration deadline is thursday, but i guess they don't HAVE to say anything. also i'm pretty sure someone said in this threat that last year they sent out decisions on april 29th.

if they just don't say anything... idk, should i just register for the bar there anyway? $250 isn't too much in the scheme of things, but i wouldn't be in new york if i don't get LAS.

yeah hopefully if its not tomorrow they will let people know that they don't expect to make decisions before the deadline. But yeah $250 isn't much compared to other states.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:59 pm

or not? : P

Return to “Legal Employment”