3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Any more movement from San Diego Federal?

eaternation

Postby eaternation » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Rising 3L. PD gunner.

Has anyone on TLS composed a comprehensive 3L application/hiring timeline guide? (app, callbacks, offers, etc). I am most interested in CA, but I believe a comprehensive guide would be great for all aspiring PD/DA's. I've read through most of this thread and the "How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?" thread but never in one sitting. I apologize if there already a comprehensive timeline but I don't remember one. There is a lot of great info but it is spread across the two long threads. If a group of TLSers has the time, knowledge and time to create one, future TLSers would be grateful. Thanks.

*I've read through the UC Davis, UVA, and a few of the other PD hiring guides.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any more movement from San Diego Federal?
Anonymous User wrote:Any more movement from San Diego Federal?

I think they were giving only a few offers - so chances are they gave them all last Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:some offers coming in today from LA County PD via email.

Any insight into how their hiring process works? Does no interview at this point = ding?

I don't have much in the way of insights about LA's hiring process. My understanding is that interviews started Friday April 10, and ended Monday, April 13. Since offers went out yesterday, the door is probably closed for those that didn't interview. Many other SoCal offices, including Orange, Riverside, San Bernadino, and Ventura are still fair game though.

Riverside, for instance, sent out this announcement on Monday, April 13:
"The Law Offices of the Public Defender for the County of Riverside is currently conducting a recruitment for volunteer law clerks who are currently in their third year and who will be taking their first bar exam in July of 2015 (post bar law clerks) as well as a limited number of legal externship positions. Please see attached program information sheet and flyer for further information, details, and dates. Our office would like to encourage all of your students who are interested in a career in indigent defense to apply. Please have students email their resume and cover letter to Eric Keen at Ekeen@co.riverside.ca.us no later than May 15, 2015. Interviews for these positions are being scheduled in the month of May and into June. If you should have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you for your support."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:41 pm

eaternation wrote:Rising 3L. PD gunner.

Has anyone on TLS composed a comprehensive 3L application/hiring timeline guide? (app, callbacks, offers, etc). I am most interested in CA, but I believe a comprehensive guide would be great for all aspiring PD/DA's. I've read through most of this thread and the "How to be a Prosecution/PD Gunner?" thread but never in one sitting. I apologize if there already a comprehensive timeline but I don't remember one. There is a lot of great info but it is spread across the two long threads. If a group of TLSers has the time, knowledge and time to create one, future TLSers would be grateful. Thanks.

I'm very likely to do this, same boat/timeline as you. I have a shit ton of outside materials and haven't even really read through the thread all that carefully, but that's something I'd very much be interested in doing as hiring season wound down next year, if I have anything to share...hopefully I will.

eta: this is CaptainLeela, accidental anon!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
eaternation wrote:Rising 3L. PD gunner.

I'm very likely to do this, same boat/timeline as you. I have a shit ton of outside materials and haven't even really read through the thread all that carefully, but that's something I'd very much be interested in doing as hiring season wound down next year, if I have anything to share...hopefully I will.

eta: this is CaptainLeela, accidental anon!

This is hard to do because it changes year to year. It's just the natural consequence of super capricious budgeting for public defender offices. Most of the officer managers just don't know whether they can hire someone at a certain time, so their schedule for soliciting applications changes sometimes by matters of months and even semesters. A bunch of offices tend to solicit applications in the fall, but the exact timing each fall changes for almost every office year to year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:34 pm

C'mon Fed. Def. of San Diego and/or LAS - give us some signs!

k. That's all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Someone said FDSDI doesn't send out rejections. I wonder if they've already made all of their offers. Hopefully we hear from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Someone said FDSDI doesn't send out rejections. I wonder if they've already made all of their offers. Hopefully we hear from them.

If that's the case... can those who got offers post so we take that as the official rejections? hahahaha :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Someone said FDSDI doesn't send out rejections. I wonder if they've already made all of their offers. Hopefully we hear from them.

If that's the case... can those who got offers post so we take that as the official rejections? hahahaha :lol:

I actually emailed them a few days ago to inquiry whether decisions have been made - and never got a response. So ya, seems like once they are done with you, they are done. It is what it is. Happy final exam season, folks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I actually emailed them a few days ago to inquiry whether decisions have been made - and never got a response. So ya, seems like once they are done with you, they are done. It is what it is. Happy final exam season, folks!

Got a nice rejection letter in the mail. Classy. I like that. 8)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:00 pm

I accepted a PD job a few months ago in a state I have no connections to, and today I just received an offer from my dream office (where I've interned and that's in my home state). My gut tells me I need to take the new offer because I know it's where I want to end up and I know the opportunity to work there likely won't come up again.

Is there a recommended procedure for the most respectful way to back out on an offer? I know they'll probably be upset either way but I want to be as delicate as possible with this whole thing because I do feel like a dick.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a PD job a few months ago in a state I have no connections to, and today I just received an offer from my dream office (where I've interned and that's in my home state). My gut tells me I need to take the new offer because I know it's where I want to end up and I know the opportunity to work there likely won't come up again.

Is there a recommended procedure for the most respectful way to back out on an offer? I know they'll probably be upset either way but I want to be as delicate as possible with this whole thing because I do feel like a dick.

Apologize for late notice and say you can no longer accept the job offer due to a change in circumstances. Vaguery is fine and they won't remember you existed in a month.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:02 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a PD job a few months ago in a state I have no connections to, and today I just received an offer from my dream office (where I've interned and that's in my home state). My gut tells me I need to take the new offer because I know it's where I want to end up and I know the opportunity to work there likely won't come up again.

I mean, to be fair, while understandable, it's kind of a dickish thing to do, both to the office you're withdrawing from and to all the other applicants applying to that office as well as the office you should've withdrawn your application from when you got your first offer. I would just caution that given how small this professional world can be, you might want to make sure that backing out of one doesn't in any way jeopardize the open offer at the other.

I disagree. I understand the temptation to feel sorry for an office of good people, but the reality is that it is incredibly easy to make a new hire for an office. Most public defender offices fill an open spot in a matter of weeks, sometimes just one or two. The big offices are the ones that take forever to do new hires, and if they're so massive that they are interviewing dozens of people, then they also have a long list of backup applicants they haven't told shit to in the last few months. These same employers would, in a heartbeat, cancel OP's offer if budget issues came up, so I don't know why we should be worrying about feeling sorry for them that they have to do a bit extra paperwork to meet their quota of new people by August.

Also, he says he has absolutely no ties to the state where he got the initial offer. The people working in the office where he got the initial offer are never going to speak about or hear from him ever again, and same for him.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:37 am

I don't think it being easy to replace this person matters, it's about professionalism..and in my opinion it's not professional. yes the office will have to replace this person but you are asking the office to replace this person when so many bar apps have passed the deadline, so if the deadline has passed, the office is restricted on only hiring someone who was taking that bar anyway..then it's considering what this move will do with how the office will view the law school this person comes from..it's soo many factors to consider beyond it being easy to replace someone.

bugsy33

Postby bugsy33 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:47 am

Has anyone ever compiled a list of all of the pre-bar hiring offices? Tried tSearch function to no avail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:08 am

Are there any offices that are still accepting applications?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:34 am

On the issue of rescinding a previous offer: At the end of the day, it is your life. You might, MIGHT, ruffle a few feathers at the place you had accepted, but I honestly think that is unlikely. They undoubtedly get a few of these per year, and its just a fact of this system. Unless you signed something saying you had withdrawn from all other offers I honestly think they will understand and not think twice about it. Just be respectful, reach out to the right person, and thank them honestly for the opportunity. At the end of the day it is your life and you need to do what you want. Make sure you're thinking ahead and wouldn't try and apply to that office in the future, but honestly I really don't think anyone will be angry.

This was the advice that was given to me when I had a couple offers on the table and was holding out for my first choice office. I ended up turning down the offers for other reasons and ultimately getting the offer I wanted, but this was sound advice from a very reliable source.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:44 am

Follow your dreams!!! Seriously.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:39 am

anjmissy wrote:I don't think it being easy to replace this person matters, it's about professionalism..and in my opinion it's not professional. yes the office will have to replace this person but you are asking the office to replace this person when so many bar apps have passed the deadline, so if the deadline has passed, the office is restricted on only hiring someone who was taking that bar anyway..then it's considering what this move will do with how the office will view the law school this person comes from..it's soo many factors to consider beyond it being easy to replace someone.

Dude, it's the rest of his career and life. It's not unprofessional to weigh that factor above the inconvenience to an office, which is incredibly minimal anyway. If the employer is ruffled because they have to do a few extra hours of hiring, that is seriously not OP's fault. If the employer is getting angry, then they are the ones being unprofessional.

Yes, it's completely true that an office may have to hire someone who has already been admitted to the bar. Boo. Fucking. Hoo. There are hundreds of qualified applicants who have passed the bar in their jurisdiction who would take the job literally tomorrow if it was offered to them. Employers are already too discriminatory towards people who struck out after graduation. It's not OP's problem if the employer has a completely unjustified stigma towards unemployed grads.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:53 am

Tanicius wrote:
anjmissy wrote:I don't think it being easy to replace this person matters, it's about professionalism..and in my opinion it's not professional. yes the office will have to replace this person but you are asking the office to replace this person when so many bar apps have passed the deadline, so if the deadline has passed, the office is restricted on only hiring someone who was taking that bar anyway..then it's considering what this move will do with how the office will view the law school this person comes from..it's soo many factors to consider beyond it being easy to replace someone.

Dude, it's the rest of his career and life. It's not unprofessional to weigh that factor above the inconvenience to an office, which is incredibly minimal anyway. If the employer is ruffled because they have to do a few extra hours of hiring, that is seriously not OP's fault. If the employer is getting angry, then they are the ones being unprofessional.

Yes, it's completely true that an office may have to hire someone who has already been admitted to the bar. Boo. Fucking. Hoo. There are hundreds of qualified applicants who have passed the bar in their jurisdiction who would take the job literally tomorrow if it was offered to them. Employers are already too discriminatory towards people who struck out after graduation. It's not OP's problem if the employer has a completely unjustified stigma towards unemployed grads.

And nothing you just said excludes the fact that going back on an acceptance is unprofessional..I never suggested she/he shouldn't do it..

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I mean, to be fair, while understandable, it's kind of a dickish thing to do, both to the office you're withdrawing from and to all the other applicants applying to that office as well as the office you should've withdrawn your application from when you got your first offer. I would just caution that given how small this professional world can be, you might want to make sure that backing out of one doesn't in any way jeopardize the open offer at the other.

Brave use of anon.

This is how hiring works, everyone gets disappointed sometimes. Usually it's applicants, sometimes it's employers. I know a a 3L who got a firm offer rescinded last week because of budget cuts. It's tough, but everyone has do (and does) look out for their own interests. Calling that "dicking" is ridiculous, everyone in that office will understand (though may be unhappy about it). More likely than no they'll just call up a few rejected applicants and have someone hired in a week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:59 am

anjmissy wrote:And nothing you just said excludes the fact that going back on an acceptance is unprofessional..I never suggested she/he shouldn't do it..

Calling it unprofessional is the same as saying he shouldn't do it. It's ridiculous to even suggest that it's a bad thing to do. He's not leaving them high and dry, he's literally given about 5 months notice.

*edit - accidentally used anon reply*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:43 pm

for those of us still waiting to hear from places i don't suppose you'd share which office is making offers?

Return to “Legal Employment”