3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From April 17, 2014: "Hey all - I'm a current LASer who got hired last year. LAS is in the clear, budget-wise, in that nothing was cut and everything we anticipated getting came through. I have no idea how many we're hiring (I've heard the number 25 floating around but not sure). Offers last year came by phone - most came on April 29th, including mine (at like 4:55pm, phew!) so just hang tight. They also do a waiting list and I know of people who got off it last year later in the summer. If they called your references, it's definitely a good sign. Now is the time to use any connections you have/have your references make additional calls if necessary to sing your praises. Send in any updates on really awesome stuff that you did in clinic/good grades/papers published. If you're close with the person who interviewed you in the 2nd round, have them make a call to Tina too. Fingers crossed and can't wait for you all to join us - it's really a dream job."

Does anyone have any insight on whether we should be submitting additional materials to LAS? And the anonymous poster who wrote the thing above, do you have any insight on this year's hiring timeline? I don't know that I can wait another month if I'm just going to get shattered, and I'm not sure whether recs or calls would make any difference.

Just a question that I've always been curious about.. Many bar application deadlines are approaching, so how can LAS hire after the NY bar deadline? Does the incoming class just serve as law clerks until they take the February bar?

Well the deadline for the NYS bar is end of April, and LAS makes the majority of their offers in April, it seems. And anyone who is let in off the waitlist might already living in NYC area and takes the NYS bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:36 pm

anyone know if stanford has selected its crim def fellow yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:42 am

Anyone have the scoop on Brooklyn? Has anyone had a final round interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 pm

I got an email from LAS today saying they are waiting until after April 1 to make the rest of their hiring decisions. Just an fyi

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an email from LAS today saying they are waiting until after April 1 to make the rest of their hiring decisions. Just an fyi

my favorite part was when they cc'ed everyone and we all got to see who our competition is and that there are 76 of us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got an email from LAS today saying they are waiting until after April 1 to make the rest of their hiring decisions. Just an fyi

my favorite part was when they cc'ed everyone and we all got to see who our competition is and that there are 76 of us.

and for how many spots do we think? was it 25?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I participated in the final interview and I didn't get that email.. so maybe it is good news for you guys

Or we could be the rejects that they don't want to reject yet..you may have gotten it though, check your spam..I accepted at Philly and forgot to withdraw from las so I guess that 75 instead of 76 in the running lol..good luck!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I participated in the final interview and I didn't get that email.. so maybe it is good news for you guys

Same here. Time to update the good ole spreadsheet. Seems like there are still a lot of offices that haven't made offers. Does anyone know whether the following offices have made offers: Maryland, San Diego Feds, CPCS, Brooklyn?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Still no word after my first-round interview with BDS in December. I sent an email a few weeks ago with some updated information, hoping it might spur some response one way or another. Still nothing. I have no idea if Im still in the running because that is a really long time to be left at round one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Same here. Time to update the good ole spreadsheet. Seems like there are still a lot of offices that haven't made offers. Does anyone know whether the following offices have made offers: Maryland, San Diego Feds, CPCS, Brooklyn?

Seems like you're interviewing with very good offices! I don't know what having no email means. maybe we're just in a different list or group.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:58 pm

The bcc fail was pretty epic on LAS's part. Any LAS kids that have had their references checked? Do we think it's even worth sending additional info at this point?

And people who didn't get the email, definitely check your spam. Their emails have gone to spam for me in the past.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The bcc fail was pretty epic on LAS's part. Any LAS kids that have had their references checked? Do we think it's even worth sending additional info at this point?

And people who didn't get the email, definitely check your spam. Their emails have gone to spam for me in the past.

Checked my spam; I didn't get it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:12 pm

just got the rejection from LAS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Anyone get a third round callback from San Diego County?

Santa Clara County PD is doing its first and only round of interviews next week.

LA County PD post-bar interviews are in early April, in-person only.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just got the rejection from LAS.

How did it come if you don't mind sharing? Email or snail mail?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:01 pm

CPCS trial attorney here. Taking questions if anyone has any.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:just got the rejection from LAS.
email, and i also didn't get that email about hiring decisions in april.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:CPCS trial attorney here. Taking questions if anyone has any.

how competitive is it to get a public defender position? what do you think about the people you ultimately decide not to hire? would you guys consider hiring them again in the future? i've been interviewing with many places since august, and while i've been getting to many final rounds with many great pd offices, it feels like i just can't secure a position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CPCS trial attorney here. Taking questions if anyone has any.

how competitive is it to get a public defender position? what do you think about the people you ultimately decide not to hire? would you guys consider hiring them again in the future? i've been interviewing with many places since august, and while i've been getting to many final rounds with many great pd offices, it feels like i just can't secure a position.

CPCS guy again. Positions are pretty competitive in our District Court public defender division, but maybe not as competitive as other jurisdictions because our compensation is way below that of neighboring states. There are plenty of applicants who don't get an offer after multiple attempts but are successful later. Dedication is important to the agency, and applying multiple times could demonstrate a sincere interest in doing the work. Definitely be patient when it comes to CPCS- recruiting and hiring could definitely be more efficient.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:35 pm

Is San Diego County already doing interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks for taking questions! Do you know what the process is like after the panel interview and what kind of questions are asked at the next interview? Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for taking questions! Do you know what the process is like after the panel interview and what kind of questions are asked at the next interview? Thank you!

You're welcome! I can't really speak to the specifics of the recruitment process because it seems like it varies over time (and even by office). I have colleagues who were interviewed by their own AIC (CPCS calls its local office supervisors "attorneys-in-charge") whereas others were interviewed in Boston by higher-ups and/or AICs from other offices. I know that the recruitment process is what you guys are interested in, so I wish I could give you more info. I can certainly address questions about the agency in general and life as a CPCS lawyer, etc., for anyone who might be considering working in Massachusetts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Do you have any idea about the differences between the district courts? As someone who has not wandered far beyond Boston, I am curious if any of the offices stand out as good places to start / have more of a certain kind of cases. I have been doing research online (demographics, crime stats, etc.), but would love to hear any insights you may have!

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for taking questions! Do you know what the process is like after the panel interview and what kind of questions are asked at the next interview? Thank you!

You're welcome! I can't really speak to the specifics of the recruitment process because it seems like it varies over time (and even by office). I have colleagues who were interviewed by their own AIC (CPCS calls its local office supervisors "attorneys-in-charge") whereas others were interviewed in Boston by higher-ups and/or AICs from other offices. I know that the recruitment process is what you guys are interested in, so I wish I could give you more info. I can certainly address questions about the agency in general and life as a CPCS lawyer, etc., for anyone who might be considering working in Massachusetts.

Return to “Legal Employment”