3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:50 pm

rebka402 wrote:Has still no one heard from LAS? When I did my interview with Tina in January, she said they're hoping to make offers in late February/early March. I'M SO IMPATIENT.

I doubt she's calling before April

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard about offers/rejections from CPCS?

I believe there is some movement that is going on, I have a friend who didn't even get an interview.

I think they're still doing interviews as well. There were definitely interviews being held this week. Hopefully they don't wait until right before the bar to make offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Does anyone know when San Diego Fed Defenders is making offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Any news from Brooklyn? Have people had final rounds?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Anyone apply to LA County PD? Not sure when I should expect to hear something, if at all..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when San Diego Fed Defenders is making offers?

I know that they were still scheduling interviews as of this week, so I'm guessing not for another week or two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when San Diego Fed Defenders is making offers?

I know that they were still scheduling interviews as of this week, so I'm guessing not for another week or two.

I interviewed a couple weeks ago. Seems like they interviewed a lot of people!! How big do their classes tend to be?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rebka402 wrote:Has still no one heard from LAS? When I did my interview with Tina in January, she said they're hoping to make offers in late February/early March. I'M SO IMPATIENT.

I doubt she's calling before April

Have any LAS waiters had their references contacted yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I interviewed a couple weeks ago. Seems like they interviewed a lot of people!! How big do their classes tend to be?

Someone a few pages back said they're only making four offers. Does anyone know if this is true?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Has Philadelphia PD finished final round interviews? Anyone still waiting to hear?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has Philadelphia PD finished final round interviews? Anyone still waiting to hear?

I hear they are making the last offers next week

DayTripper1967

Postby DayTripper1967 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:55 pm

Just had an interview with the WI PD. 10 short hypos, but I got rattled by a few of them and didn't respond very well. They said they would notify in 2 weeks if I'm going on to round 2. I feel like I did ok, but not feeling that great about it either.

This sucks. :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:40 pm

DayTripper1967 wrote:Just had an interview with the WI PD. 10 short hypos, but I got rattled by a few of them and didn't respond very well. They said they would notify in 2 weeks if I'm going on to round 2. I feel like I did ok, but not feeling that great about it either.

Don't get discouraged. While it may not be much comfort, everyone has rough interviews from time to time. We are all our own biggest critics sometimes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DayTripper1967 wrote:Just had an interview with the WI PD. 10 short hypos, but I got rattled by a few of them and didn't respond very well. They said they would notify in 2 weeks if I'm going on to round 2. I feel like I did ok, but not feeling that great about it either.

Don't get discouraged. While it may not be much comfort, everyone has rough interviews from time to time. We are all our own biggest critics sometimes.

This may sound weird..but the interviews I feel worst about I end up making it to the next round..the interviews I walk out of feeling as if everything went great are the ones I get a rejection from. I felt awful after my Philly panel, like awful..I was missing issues left and right. But I got a next round. Don't be discouraged.

If it'll make you feel better you can do a thank you..I only do thank yous after final rounds though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:10 am

Hey congrats at least -- I submitted an app last month and never heard from them.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Has anyone been rejected by CO? I applied long ago, back when people were all in a tizzy about 'Shake it Off.'

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:08 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Can someone tell me a bit about CPCS panel interviews? Are there hypos? Do you have to give an opening/closing statement? Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone tell me a bit about CPCS panel interviews? Are there hypos? Do you have to give an opening/closing statement? Thank you!

You have to do a bond hearing ..they will give you the facts right before the interview starts..and yes to hypos..and basic pd questions

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been rejected by CO? I applied long ago, back when people were all in a tizzy about 'Shake it Off.'

I applied a long time ago as well I just assumed that not hearing from them for so long = rejection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 am

iShotFirst wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been rejected by CO? I applied long ago, back when people were all in a tizzy about 'Shake it Off.'

I applied a long time ago as well I just assumed that not hearing from them for so long = rejection.

I could be wrong but I think they were wrapping up their interviews back in Dec. I'm assuming they probably extended offers already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Any movement with Philly? reading last year's thread it looks like they make offers the second or third week of March.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:26 am

From April 17, 2014: "Hey all - I'm a current LASer who got hired last year. LAS is in the clear, budget-wise, in that nothing was cut and everything we anticipated getting came through. I have no idea how many we're hiring (I've heard the number 25 floating around but not sure). Offers last year came by phone - most came on April 29th, including mine (at like 4:55pm, phew!) so just hang tight. They also do a waiting list and I know of people who got off it last year later in the summer. If they called your references, it's definitely a good sign. Now is the time to use any connections you have/have your references make additional calls if necessary to sing your praises. Send in any updates on really awesome stuff that you did in clinic/good grades/papers published. If you're close with the person who interviewed you in the 2nd round, have them make a call to Tina too. Fingers crossed and can't wait for you all to join us - it's really a dream job."

Does anyone have any insight on whether we should be submitting additional materials to LAS? And the anonymous poster who wrote the thing above, do you have any insight on this year's hiring timeline? I don't know that I can wait another month if I'm just going to get shattered, and I'm not sure whether recs or calls would make any difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement with Philly? reading last year's thread it looks like they make offers the second or third week of March.

Answering my own question..Philly made offers yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From April 17, 2014: "Hey all - I'm a current LASer who got hired last year. LAS is in the clear, budget-wise, in that nothing was cut and everything we anticipated getting came through. I have no idea how many we're hiring (I've heard the number 25 floating around but not sure). Offers last year came by phone - most came on April 29th, including mine (at like 4:55pm, phew!) so just hang tight. They also do a waiting list and I know of people who got off it last year later in the summer. If they called your references, it's definitely a good sign. Now is the time to use any connections you have/have your references make additional calls if necessary to sing your praises. Send in any updates on really awesome stuff that you did in clinic/good grades/papers published. If you're close with the person who interviewed you in the 2nd round, have them make a call to Tina too. Fingers crossed and can't wait for you all to join us - it's really a dream job."

Does anyone have any insight on whether we should be submitting additional materials to LAS? And the anonymous poster who wrote the thing above, do you have any insight on this year's hiring timeline? I don't know that I can wait another month if I'm just going to get shattered, and I'm not sure whether recs or calls would make any difference.

Just a question that I've always been curious about.. Many bar application deadlines are approaching, so how can LAS hire after the NY bar deadline? Does the incoming class just serve as law clerks until they take the February bar?

Return to “Legal Employment”