3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:56 pm

Struck out of the pre-bar PD hiring race. Kind of expected since my experience is mostly civil, but still stings.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:05 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Struck out of the pre-bar PD hiring race. Kind of expected since my experience is mostly civil, but still stings.


VA offices unofficially do pre-bar hiring. I would keep an eye out on the state HR page. Also could end up in the middle of nowhere in the state, but better than nothing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Struck out of the pre-bar PD hiring race. Kind of expected since my experience is mostly civil, but still stings.


VA offices unofficially do pre-bar hiring. I would keep an eye out on the state HR page. Also could end up in the middle of nowhere in the state, but better than nothing.


This is true..I received an unofficial prebar offer..just gotta pass the bar.

User avatar
Scruffy_the_Janitor
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:59 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Scruffy_the_Janitor » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Any news on New Hampshire. I know they released some (don't know if all) offers. Are they waiting to hear back on those initial offers or are they done?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I tried searching for info on here, but anyone have any insight on Wisconsin PD or Missouri?


I work for the Wisconsin SPD, what do you wanna know?

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Struck out of the pre-bar PD hiring race. Kind of expected since my experience is mostly civil, but still stings.


VA offices unofficially do pre-bar hiring. I would keep an eye out on the state HR page. Also could end up in the middle of nowhere in the state, but better than nothing.


This is true..I received an unofficial prebar offer..just gotta pass the bar.


Will they fire you if you fail the bar once, or do they give you another chance like firms do?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:15 am

BlueLotus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Struck out of the pre-bar PD hiring race. Kind of expected since my experience is mostly civil, but still stings.


VA offices unofficially do pre-bar hiring. I would keep an eye out on the state HR page. Also could end up in the middle of nowhere in the state, but better than nothing.


This is true..I received an unofficial prebar offer..just gotta pass the bar.


Will they fire you if you fail the bar once, or do they give you another chance like firms do?


I doubt I will be given another shot..if there is an open position I'm sure it'll go to the next person in line..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I tried searching for info on here, but anyone have any insight on Wisconsin PD or Missouri?


I work for the Wisconsin SPD, what do you wanna know?


Was just curious about the application process -- if you applied through the government website, how long it took to get back to you, what it's like working there?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:57 am

BlueLotus wrote:Struck out of the pre-bar PD hiring race. Kind of expected since my experience is mostly civil, but still stings.


I have also struck out, and my experience is all criminal. Obviously not happy about it. I actually took a bar last year (passed) and am currently clerking, clerkship ends in September. What is my next step here? Where else can I apply?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Anybody heard anything from Palm Beach or LAS lately? Vague timelines are also appreciated if anyone has any info...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody heard anything from Palm Beach or LAS lately? Vague timelines are also appreciated if anyone has any info...


I'm still waiting for LAS, had a last round but havent heard anything since. I know there is a preliminary budget for NYC now but it hasn't been adopted. So I think they are waiting for that, the adopted version usually doesnt differ greatly from the preliminary budget so idk why they wait until April for the adoption.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cooperlaserpup
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby cooperlaserpup » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody heard anything from Palm Beach or LAS lately? Vague timelines are also appreciated if anyone has any info...


I'm still waiting for LAS, had a last round but havent heard anything since. I know there is a preliminary budget for NYC now but it hasn't been adopted. So I think they are waiting for that, the adopted version usually doesnt defer greatly from the preliminary budget so idk why they wait until April for the adoption.



Arrests are way down in NYC. PD offices are paid per case. There is a lot of uncertainty about hiring due to this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody heard anything from Palm Beach or LAS lately? Vague timelines are also appreciated if anyone has any info...


Got a reject from LAS a week or so ago after panel, but no Tina interview. Waiting on PB as well, I interviewed about 2 weeks ago and they said "a few weeks" when I asked for a timeline for decisions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:22 pm

Brooklyn anyone?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Brooklyn anyone?


BDS probably won't make offers until May at the earliest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Brooklyn anyone?


BDS probably won't make offers until May at the earliest.


Do you know if they've done final round interviews?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:12 pm

San Diego County PD second-round callbacks are taking place presently. Some (but maybe not all?) San Diego Fed PD second-round callbacks happened last week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:San Diego County PD second-round callbacks are taking place presently. Some (but maybe not all?) San Diego Fed PD second-round callbacks happened last week.


Any idea how many people SD Fed Defenders is interviewing and how many they plan to hire?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:San Diego County PD second-round callbacks are taking place presently. Some (but maybe not all?) San Diego Fed PD second-round callbacks happened last week.


Any idea how many people SD Fed Defenders is interviewing and how many they plan to hire?



Nope, not privy to that info unfortunately.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I tried searching for info on here, but anyone have any insight on Wisconsin PD or Missouri?


I work for the Wisconsin SPD, what do you wanna know?


Was just curious about the application process -- if you applied through the government website, how long it took to get back to you, what it's like working there?


Yeah, you should apply through the state jobs website. If you follow the agency on facebook or twitter, you will see the recruiting announcements there too. They do their hiring year-round as openings become available. Don't expect to work in Madison or Milwaukee right away, since that's where everyone wants to be. I don't remember how long it took for them to get back to me after I applied, but I don't think it was too long, maybe a couple weeks?

There are two interviews. The first is with a panel of three attorneys. You will be asked to prepare a five minute story (about anything you want) which you will present at the beginning of the interview from memory. This is to gauge your ability to present in front of a jury, since our training process revolves around developing a compelling theory of the case and being able to enthusiastically present it to other people. Then you will do a bunch of short hypos for about 20 minutes. They are pretty easy, just give the "I support my client no matter how bad he is" answer to everything and you will be fine. The second interview took place at the office that eventually hired me. It was with my future boss plus the regional office manager. Basically they gave me a tour and asked if I had any questions about the office. So, I would say that if you make it to the second round and they invite you to one of the offices, you'll get hired.

I definitely enjoy working here. You get paid pretty well for a public defender in the midwest (I'm just shy of my two year mark and I make 53k/year). Your caseload is manageable (on average I have about 200 misdemeanors, 75 felonies, 30 involuntary civil commitments and 20 juvenile delinquency cases a year, which isn't bad at all). The resources and support are also pretty strong since it's a state agency that is somewhat well respected in the state legislature. That said, every office around the state is different. I work in a pretty chill office of eight attorneys, six of which are under 30, and my boss is amazing, so it's a fun atmosphere. I can't say the same about the rest, but most of my friends from law school who ended up in other offices seem to enjoy their work too.

lheyr27
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby lheyr27 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Hey, is there anyone who is still waiting to hear whether they got a final round interview at Philly?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:40 pm

i know hennepin gave some offers and rejects last week. i haven't heard from them yet.. i'm beginning to wonder if i did get a letter from them and didn't see it. just want to know if there was any more news from them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:14 pm

Does anyone know when san diego fed defender is going to make offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273075
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:15 pm

.

Pncakez
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Pncakez » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when san diego fed defender is going to make offers?


Did you have the second round interview? Did anyone? Did anyone get a rejection letter?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.