3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you both get to speak in court for both internships 1L and 2L year? I will have in court experience but the bench trials I have scheduled plead out is this a huge negative?

1L was mainly research, though I observed court a lot. I had the opportunity to help pick a jury, etc. 2L was all in court (I didn't work for a PD). I tried probably nine 1-3 witness bench trials. Through clinic I've done pleas, a trial, and a lot more investigative work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For LAS people selected with an offer or final interview, how much in-court experience do you have? Have you conducted trials?

FWIW, I got a final interview and spent both my summers as well as two semesters of school interning for PDs. However, the most trial experience I got through my internships was speaking on-record at arraignments. However, I did do several civil bench trials in a clinic. I also did a lot of court observing and client interviewing, etc. A nice thing about LAS FYI is that you have to do a mock closing argument, so I mean if you kill that, you can demonstrate some trial potential even if you haven't done a ton of bench trials or even a jury trial.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:30 pm

did both of you get offers or just final rounds so far?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Just a final round here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did you both get to speak in court for both internships 1L and 2L year? I will have in court experience but the bench trials I have scheduled plead out is this a huge negative?

1L was mainly research, though I observed court a lot. I had the opportunity to help pick a jury, etc. 2L was all in court (I didn't work for a PD). I tried probably nine 1-3 witness bench trials. Through clinic I've done pleas, a trial, and a lot more investigative work.

I didn't speak in court for either PD internship. I did a lot of trial prep and investigation and prepared cross/directs/motions etc, but didn't actually speak in court. Did a trial practice group with PDS my 2L summer where I did an opening, cross, close. In clinic I've done 4 bench trials. LAS seemed to like my investigative background and I've gotten oral advocacy through clinic 3L year and trial ad courses in school. I didn't do moot court or mock trial, but I would guess those experiences help a bit.

No offer yet, don't think any have been given out yet. but all rounds completed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:46 am

oh also I agree about the mock closing in the panel interview. It's 15 minutes long so that tells the interviewers a lot about your ability.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:47 am

damn that sucks at the DA's office I did almost everything short of a trial. Some of my buds did trials as students, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the posters above, I'm in a similar boat in terms of waiting to hear on things. With Philly, have you both had interviews? I got the e-mail from Philly asking if I'd like to remain under consideration as they prepare to start interviewing. I actually called to follow up and apparently saying yes to that meant you were saying yes to being reevaluated. They then plan to pick people to get panel interviews. The invite to the panel is supposed to come from the Senior Attorney leading your panel. Complete silence for me though since that follow up call around 1.5 months ago.

I haven't heard anything from Philly, I applied last minute after a Mock Trial competition there and some prodding by the PD judges there that I should apply. Since my application, radio silence.

Same for NDS, not even a confirmation email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the posters above, I'm in a similar boat in terms of waiting to hear on things. With Philly, have you both had interviews? I got the e-mail from Philly asking if I'd like to remain under consideration as they prepare to start interviewing. I actually called to follow up and apparently saying yes to that meant you were saying yes to being reevaluated. They then plan to pick people to get panel interviews. The invite to the panel is supposed to come from the Senior Attorney leading your panel. Complete silence for me though since that follow up call around 1.5 months ago.

I haven't heard anything from Philly, I applied last minute after a Mock Trial competition there and some prodding by the PD judges there that I should apply. Since my application, radio silence.

Same for NDS, not even a confirmation email.

I'm the poster from above who mentioned Philly. I'm unsure if they've hired a class or are planning to interview at this point. They asked for my transcript around January and then in mid-February sent me that e-mail saying we are now getting ready to start inviting people to interview. As is the case with most offices, they may be moving slow due to funding issues. A buddy over the summer at PD gig who had interned there as a 1L told me they weren't even taking a Fall 2013 class so I was shocked when they started accepting apps this past December. As for NDS, I expect that to move slow. I think the deadline to apply for the fellowship is in May.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Philly is doing panel interviews, or has been in the last couple weeks. I applied online way back in December...had radio silence, and then all of a sudden got an email (4 weeks ago or so) inviting me out for a panel interview. they said that the interview would take a couple hours and would include simulation, etc. I never went for the interview because I accepted employment elsewhere, but for those who are asking, they are definitely interviewing at this point, so it might be a good chance to shoot an email demonstrating continued interest

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I didn't speak in court for either PD internship. I did a lot of trial prep and investigation and prepared cross/directs/motions etc, but didn't actually speak in court. Did a trial practice group with PDS my 2L summer where I did an opening, cross, close. In clinic I've done 4 bench trials. LAS seemed to like my investigative background and I've gotten oral advocacy through clinic 3L year and trial ad courses in school. I didn't do moot court or mock trial, but I would guess those experiences help a bit.

No offer yet, don't think any have been given out yet. but all rounds completed.

So actually having no bench trial experience wouldn't be a negative then if I get to speak in court on other matters (arraignments and PHs)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Anyone hear from BDS -- offers, 3rd round interview info, or invitation to a 3rd round?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from BDS -- offers, 3rd round interview info, or invitation to a 3rd round?

Check out the Prosecution/PD Gunner thread. There's a detailed explanation of the third interview from those who have had it/ where things are at with the hiring process. Would type it all up again, but I'm lazy and it's summed up pretty perfectly on the last page in that thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Has anyone received an offer from LAS within the last 2 weeks? I had my final interview in February and was told that they would be making offers on April 1st. I know LAS contacted my references, but I still haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer from LAS within the last 2 weeks? I had my final interview in February and was told that they would be making offers on April 1st. I know LAS contacted my references, but I still haven't heard anything.

I had my final interview in March and was told offers would be made in mid to late April.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from BDS -- offers, 3rd round interview info, or invitation to a 3rd round?

Check out the Prosecution/PD Gunner thread. There's a detailed explanation of the third interview from those who have had it/ where things are at with the hiring process. Would type it all up again, but I'm lazy and it's summed up pretty perfectly on the last page in that thread.

^ yep. Seems like BDS is still waiting to see if the City is going to come through with funding. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later, good luck to all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer from LAS within the last 2 weeks? I had my final interview in February and was told that they would be making offers on April 1st. I know LAS contacted my references, but I still haven't heard anything.

I had my final interview in March and was told offers would be made in mid to late April.

Thanks! I know they were waiting for the state budget to be released, which happened on 3/29 I believe. Do you have any information about whether they're still waiting on funding?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:41 am

Does anyone know how LAS will notify people about an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how LAS will notify people about an offer?

Last year, people received a call from Tina and then a contract sent via email

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:09 pm

So, I'm assuming that the rejections are coming either by email or letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Also waiting on LAS here - also heard that offers come by phone followed by hard copy contract.

Related: does anyone have any idea of the health insurance/benefits at LAS? perhaps someone hired in a previous year? I'm assuming it's a generous package because it's a large employer/union, but just curious.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Not sure about the health benefits, I would assume they are very good given the fact that LAS is state funded. Also, I had my final round interview a couple of months ago and I just wanted to know has anyone actually been rejected after the final round or are they waiting till the end of this month to notify everyone about whether they have been rejected or will receive an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure about the health benefits, I would assume they are very good given the fact that LAS is state funded. Also, I had my final round interview a couple of months ago and I just wanted to know has anyone actually been rejected after the final round or are they waiting till the end of this month to notify everyone about whether they have been rejected or will receive an offer.

Thanks! I asked the question above and I'd have to assume the same. I had my final round in late January. As far as I know, no one has heard after the 3rd round about either acceptances or rejections. My feeling is that they do offers in rounds, so if you had a third round, you probably won't be outright rejected for a while. I believe they give a first round of offers, see who sticks, and then offer remaining spots to another group, etc. The advice I've gotten is to just wait it out :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Yea I had my final round at the same time. Well I hope the news will be coming soon, good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:For LAS people selected with an offer or final interview, how much in-court experience do you have? Have you conducted trials?

trial team (at least 30 in-court experiences between practices and competitions) and criminal defense clinic

Return to “Legal Employment”