3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:18 am

Someone please let us know when OPD starts making those calls. Hopefully it's today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:20 am

Miami is making offers, via phone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:58 pm

any news on NHPD?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any news on NHPD?
They already gave offers..not sure if all but they have gone out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are the people who got LAS rejections people who got a final round interview? Or did they just get rejections after only having a panel?
I only had the panel, back in November. Got the "it's not you, it's us" email last week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:40 pm

How many rounds in Philadelphia doing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:28 pm

Anyone know what's going on with BDS? Have they done final rounds? Any offers out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:58 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:10 am

Received the official ding letter from Prettyman, finally.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what's going on with BDS? Have they done final rounds? Any offers out?
at least one post-panel rejection letter has been sent out (as of late last week) :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what's going on with BDS? Have they done final rounds? Any offers out?
at least one post-panel rejection letter has been sent out (as of late last week) :(
Just before Christmas, I got a letter that basically said, "we don't know how many interviews we're doing, you're still in the running, and once we sort stuff out, we'll let you know what's going on."

Silence since then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just before Christmas, I got a letter that basically said, "we don't know how many interviews we're doing, you're still in the running, and once we sort stuff out, we'll let you know what's going on."

Silence since then.
Back in October they called me to schedule a panel interview. Scheduled for first week of Feb.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:33 pm

Any new LAS news?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any new LAS news?
A friend of mine was invited today (by phone) to interview with Tina.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Silence since then.
Back in October they called me to schedule a panel interview. Scheduled for first week of Feb.
Sorry when you say panel interview do you mean the "second round?" Or do you mean final round panel interview? I just want to know if they have offered final round interviews to people. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:24 pm

Does anyone have insight into Palm Beach PD's hiring process? What is(are) the interview(s) like? Thoughts?

Were there any more LAS rejections? It's my first choice, and I'm holding out hope since I didn't get a rejection last week. But I didn't get a call for a Tina interview yet either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Were there any more LAS offers? It seems like one person on here got an offer without already having a pending offer at another office and without being a former intern.... and then several people got rejected at the same time (last Friday).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Re. BDS, I'm pretty confused about the rounds. I applied directly and was scheduled to an interview in December. I met with two people, ran through some hypos, and felt like it was more than just a screener. It didn't include the bail app hypo that is supposed to be in second round, I think. I was told I'd hear something by the end of the year. Nothing.

Sorry to the person who got the ding letter. Been there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:13 am

Any Orleans movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:43 am

To those who got offers from LAS -- how long from when you told them you had an outside offer, until getting an answer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re. BDS, I'm pretty confused about the rounds. I applied directly and was scheduled to an interview in December. I met with two people, ran through some hypos, and felt like it was more than just a screener. It didn't include the bail app hypo that is supposed to be in second round, I think. I was told I'd hear something by the end of the year. Nothing.

Sorry to the person who got the ding letter. Been there.
I had the same with BDS in December, and have also heard nothing since.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Scruffy_the_Janitor

New

Post by Scruffy_the_Janitor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight into Palm Beach PD's hiring process? What is(are) the interview(s) like? Thoughts?

Were there any more LAS rejections? It's my first choice, and I'm holding out hope since I didn't get a rejection last week. But I didn't get a call for a Tina interview yet either.
I did my interview back in December. It's basically what was already mentioned in this forum, buried somewhere in pages 37 or thereabouts.

You show up 30 minutes early and then you are led to a room with a computer. You are given a typed single sheet of paper with a hypo on it. You're supposed to write what you would do initially, who you would interview, possible defenses, motions, etc. No internet access allowed and no research allowed. Then you have an hour interview that goes over what you typed, the facts, and then why PD? type questions.

They said they would get back with decisions around February.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:37 pm

Scruffy_the_Janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight into Palm Beach PD's hiring process? What is(are) the interview(s) like? Thoughts?

I did my interview back in December. It's basically what was already mentioned in this forum, buried somewhere in pages 37 or thereabouts.

You show up 30 minutes early and then you are led to a room with a computer. You are given a typed single sheet of paper with a hypo on it. You're supposed to write what you would do initially, who you would interview, possible defenses, motions, etc. No internet access allowed and no research allowed. Then you have an hour interview that goes over what you typed, the facts, and then why PD? type questions.

PD offices are crazy. It's like they assume you're not going to be able to research shit as an attorney and that you can't be trained criminal defense trial skills. I mean if you're borderline retarded, you probably aren't very good at research and can't be trained criminal defense trial skills, but the vast majority of people LAS interviews probably don't fall into that category. I don't really understand these crazy interview tactics. IMO, it makes more sense to hire really smart people who have demonstrated an interested in indigent criminal defense work, rather than people who know substantive criminal law or who appear to be slightly better trial attorneys before even being licensed to practice law. It's probably safe to hire the guy who's at the tipity top of his class at HLS and has spent two summers interning at PD's office.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

PD offices are crazy. It's like they assume you're not going to be able to research shit as an attorney and that you can't be trained criminal defense trial skills. I mean if you're borderline retarded, you probably aren't very good at research and can't be trained criminal defense trial skills, but the vast majority of people LAS interviews probably don't fall into that category. I don't really understand these crazy interview tactics. IMO, it makes more sense to hire really smart people who have demonstrated an interested in indigent criminal defense work, rather than people who know substantive criminal law or who appear to be slightly better trial attorneys before even being licensed to practice law. It's probably safe to hire the guy who's at the tipity top of his class at HLS and has spent two summers interning at PD's office.

Substantive law I agree is silly to test for. Everyone learns the substantive law on the job.

For trial skills and client communication though, there's only so much you can teach. Someone at the top of their class could easily be terrible at communicating with clients or presenting themselves in court, and I think a lot of exercises can quickly determine that.

Overall, I definitely agree that computer exercise is dumb.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Substantive law I agree is silly to test for. Everyone learns the substantive law on the job.

For trial skills and client communication though, there's only so much you can teach. Someone at the top of their class could easily be terrible at communicating with clients or presenting themselves in court, and I think a lot of exercises can quickly determine that.

Overall, I definitely agree that computer exercise is dumb.
The interview itself tests the person's communication skills, imo. I mean the really awkward people who aren't good at communicating typically can't communicate or present themselves well during an interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”