3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:learned that Legal Aid criminal practice gave out 10 early offers. these people did not receive their actual offers and won't until April but all of them turned down other offers and are committed to LAS.

Anyone have any insight on whether the rest of us can increase our chances by sending additional recommendations? or advice on how to leverage other offers with LAS?

I am not sure about sending additional recommendations, but I do know that LAS will call your recs if they are interested. I also successfully leveraged an expiring offer last year from another office to get LAS to make me an offer quickly -- but I had made it to the final round when I used my other offer as leverage. But it worked: LAS called my recommendations, made me an offer over the telephone, and even emailed me a written offer very quickly and before my other offer expired.

And I wasn't an early offer or former intern at LAS, FWIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:learned that Legal Aid criminal practice gave out 10 early offers. these people did not receive their actual offers and won't until April but all of them turned down other offers and are committed to LAS.

Anyone have any insight on whether the rest of us can increase our chances by sending additional recommendations? or advice on how to leverage other offers with LAS?

I am not sure about sending additional recommendations, but I do know that LAS will call your recs if they are interested. I also successfully leveraged an expiring offer last year from another office to get LAS to make me an offer quickly -- but I had made it to the final round when I used my other offer as leverage. But it worked: LAS called my recommendations, made me an offer over the telephone, and even emailed me a written offer very quickly and before my other offer expired.

And I wasn't an early offer or former intern at LAS, FWIW.

Thanks, that's really helpful!! I completed my final round a month ago. At what point did you leverage the offer? They said they're doing offers between April and May this year (i think last year was later, right?) I was thinking of trying to do this around mid to late March once my other offer is solidified.

Again, thanks so much for the insight. Hope to follow in your path :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, that's really helpful!! I completed my final round a month ago. At what point did you leverage the offer? They said they're doing offers between April and May this year (i think last year was later, right?) I was thinking of trying to do this around mid to late March once my other offer is solidified.

Again, thanks so much for the insight. Hope to follow in your path :)

I told LAS at my final interview that I had received an offer from another office, and that I had X number of days before it expired. But my final interview was late in the spring, so I'm not sure if that made a difference. I explained that LAS was my first choice and that I would accept an offer from LAS if they extended me one before my other offer expired. But if you've already had your final round with Tina, you should call her and let her know about any other offer you receive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 am

Any legal aid society application updates?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any legal aid society application updates?

Not sure where you are in the process but I know someone who recently got invited to a second-round, e.g., the panel interview, a few weeks ago so it seems like some interview invites at that stage are still going out.

If you've done your final round with Tina, silence isn't necessarily bad since she said no offers would come until April.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:32 pm

anyone have any idea of how many people are in the running for the remaining spots at Legal Aid in the Criminal Practice class?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:19 am

No idea, does anyone know how they are notifying anyone of decisions and if so what are they?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:12 am

Received notice of my final round today. Scheduled for early April. Does anyone know how frequently 3rd rounds turn into offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received notice of my final round today. Scheduled for early April. Does anyone know how frequently 3rd rounds turn into offers?

For LAS? Based on previous years (I currently work at LAS), the third round interview with Tina Luongo should be little more than a formality. Meaning, you should be getting an offer unless you screw something up.

Anonymous User wrote:No idea, does anyone know how they are notifying anyone of decisions and if so what are they?

Rejections come by email. If you were selected for a second or third-round interview, you should get an email that basically gives you an interview date and time and asks you to confirm. Offers are extended by phone, and followed by written offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received notice of my final round today. Scheduled for early April. Does anyone know how frequently 3rd rounds turn into offers?

For LAS? Based on previous years (I currently work at LAS), the third round interview with Tina Luongo should be little more than a formality. Meaning, you should be getting an offer unless you screw something up.

Anon who asked the question here. Thank you for the info!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Has anyone heard from BDS? Had a great first interview and know that they sent out at least 1 round of rejections and did not get rejected but haven't heard anything else

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Is it not too late to apply anywhere?

Void

Postby Void » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 pm

Jeremyl wrote:Is it not too late to apply anywhere?

Plenty of states wont even look at an application until you're licensed, so it's not too late to apply to those!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm

any update on numbers/timing for LAS offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:41 pm

anyone hear back yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear back yet?

not yet!! ahhh

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:20 pm

anyone hear anything from Neighborhood Defender Services (Harlem) about fellowship applications?
Or any response from Philly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:14 pm

When did you send in your fellowship application? ( I did so more recently and haven't heard anything) Also haven't heard anything from Philly

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you send in your fellowship application? ( I did so more recently and haven't heard anything) Also haven't heard anything from Philly

I applied to NDS when it was posted - so I guess 2 weeks ago? And I followed up with Philly but didn't get a response.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:46 pm

To the posters above, I'm in a similar boat in terms of waiting to hear on things. With Philly, have you both had interviews? I got the e-mail from Philly asking if I'd like to remain under consideration as they prepare to start interviewing. I actually called to follow up and apparently saying yes to that meant you were saying yes to being reevaluated. They then plan to pick people to get panel interviews. The invite to the panel is supposed to come from the Senior Attorney leading your panel. Complete silence for me though since that follow up call around 1.5 months ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:41 pm

For LAS people selected with an offer or final interview, how much in-court experience do you have? Have you conducted trials?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For LAS people selected with an offer or final interview, how much in-court experience do you have? Have you conducted trials?

Clinic + two summer internships. Have done bench trials.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For LAS people selected with an offer or final interview, how much in-court experience do you have? Have you conducted trials?

civil clinic (employment/homelessness) with administrative court trial experience. two PD internships. Trial advocacy class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

exactly the same

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

exactly the same

Did you both get to speak in court for both internships 1L and 2L year? I will have in court experience but the bench trials I have scheduled plead out is this a huge negative?

Return to “Legal Employment”