3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hoopstarDAYUM

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby hoopstarDAYUM » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
hoopstarDAYUM wrote:Bronx dinged me, whatevas.
LAS, NH final, BDS 2nd round.

Is it too late to apply to offices? Like Florida offices? I see people are being dinged but....

When did LAS send out emails for the last round?

Same question, but for BDS: did you interview with them at EJW?

Nope. A different event. Also to edit, didn't get LAS final round.
Last edited by hoopstarDAYUM on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Does anyone know the timeline for Palm Beach? I can't for the life of me remember what my interviewer said at EJW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:59 pm

No one has heard from Mecklenburg yet? I remember him saying he was probably only going to contact those moving forward with the process, so if no one has gotten anything from them, it means no decisions have been made yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:56 pm

PDS final round notifications are out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PDS final round notifications are out.

For appellate or for the mental health attorney position? Also, does this mean that it's too late for someone who didn't already submit an application to PDS?

aladdinismyprince

Postby aladdinismyprince » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Bronx callbacks from EJW are out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PDS final round notifications are out.

For appellate or for the mental health attorney position? Also, does this mean that it's too late for someone who didn't already submit an application to PDS?

trial

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Got a Bronx Defenders callback. (3L)

As it currently stands, this trip will cost a good bit of money and take away critical study time very close to finals. This office is very high on my list, so I want to go but I'm wondering whether it's worth it.

Does anybody know roughly how many people get these callbacks? Or how many 3Ls are hired (on average) for staff attorney positions from this pool? Anything relevant to this would be much appreciated...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a Bronx Defenders callback. (3L)

As it currently stands, this trip will cost a good bit of money and take away critical study time very close to finals. This office is very high on my list, so I want to go but I'm wondering whether it's worth it.

Does anybody know roughly how many people get these callbacks? Or how many 3Ls are hired (on average) for staff attorney positions from this pool? Anything relevant to this would be much appreciated...

You're worried about finals when this office doesn't even ask for a transcript..this is a no Brainer..go..I have a hiring committee interview as well..it seems as if there are quite a few ppl going

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Seriously? So many people would kill to be in your position (including me - dinged after EJW). If you don't want the job, someone else will GLADLY miss studying to go. Don't mean to sound like an ass, so sorry if I do. Go to the interview if you want a job - and be grateful for having the opportunity that so many people didn't get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:31 pm

/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 am

They will hire less than ten, I can almost guarantee you.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Seriously? So many people would kill to be in your position (including me - dinged after EJW). If you don't want the job, someone else will GLADLY miss studying to go. Don't mean to sound like an ass, so sorry if I do. Go to the interview if you want a job - and be grateful for having the opportunity that so many people didn't get.

It's a serious problem, IMO. The callback interviews for these jobs cost an arm and a leg, and they're often spent for less than 10% odds. The employers need to be more cognizant of this issue and at least start offering to use Skype in lieu of in-person interviews unless they are willing to foot the airfare bill.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:19 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's a serious problem, IMO. The callback interviews for these jobs cost an arm and a leg, and they're often spent for less than 10% odds. The employers need to be more cognizant of this issue and at least start offering to use Skype in lieu of in-person interviews unless they are willing to foot the airfare bill.

This is true with clerkship interviews as well. I think doing something like picking up the law firm hiring model would make more sense where you do a screener over the phone (or even video conference), and if that interviewer thinks its a good fit, they call you in for a full round of interviews (where offer rates are closer to 33-50%). It's crazy because some DA and PD offices do 3 to 4 rounds of interviews, where the candidate is required to come in (requiring you to take time off of work if you live in a different part of the country) and foot the entire bill yourself For example, I interviewed with the Manhattan DA's office while I was clerking in a different city, and they required 4 rounds of interviews, required me to pay the cost of travel by myself, and, to make matters worse, they offer the "lucky" ones $60k /year in Manhattan AND require a 3 year commitment. It's kind of a shitty deal unless you are jobless, live in NYC, and are okay with living in poverty for a minimum of 3 years (don't get me wrong, $60k would be a perfectly acceptable salary for a DA in many places, but it's not in Manhattan).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is true with clerkship interviews as well. I think doing something like picking up the law firm hiring model would make more sense where you do a screener over the phone (or even video conference), and if that interviewer thinks its a good fit, they call you in for a full round of interviews (where offer rates are closer to 33-50%). It's crazy because some DA and PD offices do 3 to 4 rounds of interviews, where the candidate is required to come in (requiring you to take time off of work if you live in a different part of the country) and foot the entire bill yourself For example, I interviewed with the Manhattan DA's office while I was clerking in a different city, and they required 4 rounds of interviews, required me to pay the cost of travel by myself, and, to make matters worse, they offer the "lucky" ones $60k /year in Manhattan AND require a 3 year commitment. It's kind of a shitty deal unless you are jobless, live in NYC, and are okay with living in poverty for a minimum of 3 years (don't get me wrong, $60k would be a perfectly acceptable salary for a DA in many places, but it's not in Manhattan).

I guess I see it as the cost of deciding to do this kind of work. You should go into it with your eyes wide open about what the hiring process is. Do I like the hiring schedule? No, not at all. I hate that the offices all want to do multiple interview rounds at their office at our expense. And I agree that they should have to pay for at least the final round. But I knew it was like that when I started this process, so I can't complain about it now. I knew about the timeline, and the fact that their budgets are limited. Even if it sucks, it's the way it is, for now. Just my opinion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I see it as the cost of deciding to do this kind of work. You should go into it with your eyes wide open about what the hiring process is. Do I like the hiring schedule? No, not at all. I hate that the offices all want to do multiple interview rounds at their office at our expense. And I agree that they should have to pay for at least the final round. But I knew it was like that when I started this process, so I can't complain about it now. I knew about the timeline, and the fact that their budgets are limited. Even if it sucks, it's the way it is, for now. Just my opinion.

I mean I understand the budget thing (even with the federal judiciary with respect to clerkships). My point is simply that they could be more reasonable about the entire hiring process by doing screening interviews over the phone or a video conference, and do an in-person callback interview where the offer rate is closer to 33-50% (like at big firms). Even if they didn't pay for the final round interview, it would be a lot more reasonable, since you'd be going in with relatively decent odds of getting a job out of it (rather than a 1/10 to 1/20 chance of getting a job out of it). I think a big part of the reason that they set-up their interviews the way that they do is because they don't have to pay for any of them and the interviewers' time is a lot less valuable (i.e. the organization isn't losing $500-1500 per hour in billables to interview people).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:57 pm

For the BxD interview, think of it this way: law school is a professional school, you go to law school so that 3 years later you are hired as a lawyer and you've prob spent $$$$$ already on tuition+books+fees+nice clothes and other things that probably only tangentially furthered the goal of becoming a lawyer. Now you're being asked to spend a bit more on travel that, in a very concrete way, will increase your chances of ending up with an awesome job with and awesome office doing awesome work with awesome colleagues. You gotta do it.

If you're concerned if you really have a shot... at this point 3-4 of the country's top PDs are willing to take ~1 hour out of their schedule to talk to one person: you. 4 people x 1 hour x ~$500 (shot in the dark market value of a billable hour of one of these lawyers) = $2,000 they are investing in you, just as a candidate. I think that's a sign they're taking you seriously and thus you should take them seriously.

EDIT: But I hear you on how annoying/expensive the hiring process is. It sucks.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:For the BxD interview, think of it this way: law school is a professional school, you go to law school so that 3 years later you are hired as a lawyer and you've prob spent $$$$$ already on tuition+books+fees+nice clothes and other things that probably only tangentially furthered the goal of becoming a lawyer. Now you're being asked to spend a bit more on travel that, in a very concrete way, will increase your chances of ending up with an awesome job with and awesome office doing awesome work with awesome colleagues. You gotta do it.

If you're concerned if you really have a shot... at this point 3-4 of the country's top PDs are willing to take ~1 hour out of their schedule to talk to one person: you. 4 people x 1 hour x ~$500 (shot in the dark market value of a billable hour of one of these lawyers) = $2,000 they are investing in you, just as a candidate. I think that's a sign they're taking you seriously and thus you should take them seriously.

EDIT: But I hear you on how annoying/expensive the hiring process is. It sucks.

A PD making $60k is making about $30/hour, probably costs the office around $45/hour with SSI/benefits, etc. Maybe one of the interviewers is a senior, so it's more like they're investing $200 in you.

Basically, PD's offices don't have to treat applicants that well because they have a massive oversupply of qualified candidates. The fact that they are not outright mean is a blessing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Ok, take $200. But then divide that by the average daily operating cost of BxD, and see how that would compare to, say, a firm interviewing someone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:12 pm

First round interview with OPD via Skype - I already love them for not making me fly to NOLA. First round (panel) with LAS on Monday. Anyone heard from BDS or Mecklenburg about second rounds after interviewing at EJW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Did OPD tell you anything about the format of the interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did OPD tell you anything about the format of the interview?

The format of the first interview? The day before the interview, they sent an email confirmation with further information about the interview, including a 3 minute legal argument to make. It's four interviewers, the hiring committee. Super nice, but they ask lots of questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Was the opd panel after a first screener?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was the opd panel after a first screener?

No, it was the first interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Anyone hear about Colorado second round yet?

Return to “Legal Employment”