3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:13 pm

abby3211 wrote:3L PD wannabe here. I'm going to have about 1 and 1/2 years of PD experience by the time I graduate (Student license with both a crim defense clinic at school and then the pd's office this past summer and all this year). I'm not worried about going to a big city - medium or small towns are fine. How the hell do I find a PD job that hires pre-Bar?? Our career services suck at anything other than the big name offices that everyone is applying to....

(PS I've got about 30 apps in to EJW so fingers crossed, but not holding my breath after reading about last year's bloodbath)

Call them and ask. Seriously, there is no harm in asking a human resources person if you can apply pre-bar. Seriously pick a state, research the offices, call them and make some sort of spreadsheet or list. It helped me!

Google search for the various publications some schools put out- I think Harvard has one- that lists the hiring practices for a lot of places.

Reapply to EJW offices if you don't get preselected! EJW is taken with a grain of salt by many offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: In law school I basically lived on 24,000 a year in DC when you factor in how much of my loan went to school.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Did you live under a bridge in southeast DC? I clerked for a year in DC after I graduated and even with a tiny 1 bedroom apartment out in bumblefuck Alexandria (I was less than a mile from Springfield) and a $63k /year salary, I barely managed to save to save anything. DC is really expensive, for what it is.

Anonymous User wrote:I'm living in a super nice area of brooklyn on 56k with one roommate in a small 2br. . . . on my 45k-ish take home this year I will start saving. I have no plans for children for at least 7 years, so I'm feeling pretty confident now!

How are you seeing a $45k take-home on a $56k /year salary in NY? That doesn't sounds right, unless you're evading taxes. $56k /year should be around $40k /year take-home in NY after federal, state, local, medicare, medicaid, and social security taxes, assuming your single and one allowance (for yourself). See http://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/salary/result . Take out health insurance and other various deductions, I'd be surprised if your take-home is over $37k /year, assuming you're not evading taxes. $37k /year is rough in a place as expensive as NYC. How much are you saving from that? (I'm impressed that you're able to save anything, but I guess willingness to live with a roommate, out in Brooklyn, and in a small apartment helps.)

Yeah definitely not evading taxes, and I did the same thing with a calculator and got 44 soooo don't know what to tell you there.

I lived in NW DC all four years, paid less than $1200/mo for rent, and got a stipend for the summers while doing PD work, so its closer to 27,000 per year. It all depends on how you live. I don't have anyone to support but a chubby cat, I had no issues whatsoever.

"Out" in Brooklyn....yeah I'm in park slope with one roommate in a 2br. I VASTLY prefer this area to Manhattan, and I'm a 20 minute subway from midtown. It's small but really nice, and my bedroom is actually very large by ny standards. I don't feel the need to live any kind of life of luxury but yeah, I put away a little something every month. Don't know what to tell you....sorry it worked for me and not for you? It's doable with my lifestyle, as I said before it would not be doable if I were supporting a child. and DC was a breeze so I really can't tell you why that was so tough for you. Most of my friend took out fewer loans than I did and lived on way less than that per year, but the lived in group houses so rent was closer to 600-800. I have always had roommates but in apartments with private bathrooms. I plan to have roommates until I move in with my boyfriend. I prefer it and it is affordable.

I make a budget for myself in a spreadsheet and keep track of the money I spend. I encourage other to do the same. My routine expenses now are the gym (70/mo) mani-pedi (30/month) and groceries (150/mo). My utilities are included in my rent. I avoid eating out and don't have pricey binge drinking nights that I had on occasion in law school. I make coffee and tea at home and don't buy it. Maybe its the little things, but it works and I'm very happy!

It sounds like you've really managed to keep your costs down to a bare minimum (e.g. I spent almost twice what you do in groceries and ate out a few days a week), and I think being okay with roommates probably helps a lot (I didn't want roommates). Congrats that you've made it work. I think maybe I just need to work for PDS, FPD, or one of the may decent paying counties in Cali lol.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:58 pm

abby3211 wrote:3L PD wannabe here. I'm going to have about 1 and 1/2 years of PD experience by the time I graduate (Student license with both a crim defense clinic at school and then the pd's office this past summer and all this year). I'm not worried about going to a big city - medium or small towns are fine. How the hell do I find a PD job that hires pre-Bar?? Our career services suck at anything other than the big name offices that everyone is applying to....

Most of the small and medium sized PD's offices don't hire pre-bar. The thing with smaller offices is that they have a really big need when positions are vacant that they want to fill asap. Hiring someone who doesn't even know if she passed the bar isn't tenable. Can't hurt to call and ask, but I don't think you'll have a lot of luck until after you have passed the bar at those offices. Best of luck with those EJW apps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:35 pm

For PDS's application, the closing date is September 24, 2014. Does that mean the application is due tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. or tonight at 11:59 p.m.? Thanks.

Reference: http://www.pdsdc.org/VacancyAnnouncemen ... 202014.pdf

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:For PDS's application, the closing date is September 24, 2014. Does that mean the application is due tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. or tonight at 11:59 p.m.? Thanks.

Reference: http://www.pdsdc.org/VacancyAnnouncemen ... 202014.pdf

IIRC from applying before, it was 11:59 pm on the date shown. So, for you tomorrow.

That said, I'm talking about like 6 months ago and my brain has been through a lot since then. To be safe, I'd get it in tonight if at all possible...

ETA: crap, just realized it's now 12:01 EST, so hopefully you either got it in already or I was right about it being due tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:08 am

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For PDS's application, the closing date is September 24, 2014. Does that mean the application is due tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. or tonight at 11:59 p.m.? Thanks.

Reference: <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.pdsdc.org/VacancyAnnouncements/Trial%20Attorney%20Application%202014.pdf[/quote"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>pdsdc</span><span>.</span><span>org</span><span>/</span><span>VacancyAnnouncements</span><span>/</span><span>Trial</span><span>%</span><span>20Attorney</span><span>%</span><span>20Application</span><span>%</span><span>202014</span><span>.</span><span>pdf</span><span>[/</span><span>quote</span></a>]

IIRC from applying before, it was 11:59 pm on the date shown. So, for you tomorrow.

That said, I'm talking about like 6 months ago and my brain has been through a lot since then. To be safe, I'd get it in tonight if at all possible...

ETA: crap, just realized it's now 12:01 EST, so hopefully you either got it in already or I was right about it being due tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I spoke with several friends about what "Closing Date: September 24, 2014" means, and we concluded that it is due tomorrow. Just not sure if it's due at 5 p.m. or 11:59 p.m., but, from what you're saying, it seems like it's due at 11:59 p.m. And the application closes at September 26, 2014 (http://www.pdsdc.org/Employment/JobOpportunities.aspx), though the paper application states that its due tomorrow. I'm still working on my application. Wish me luck!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Reference: <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.pdsdc.org/VacancyAnnouncements/Trial%20Attorney%20Application%202014.pdf[/quote"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>pdsdc</span><span>.</span><span>org</span><span>/</span><span>VacancyAnnouncements</span><span>/</span><span>Trial</span><span>%</span><span>20Attorney</span><span>%</span><span>20Application</span><span>%</span><span>202014</span><span>.</span><span>pdf</span><span>[/</span><span>quote</span></a>]

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I spoke with several friends about what "Closing Date: September 24, 2014" means, and we concluded that it is due tomorrow. Just not sure if it's due at 5 p.m. or 11:59 p.m., but, from what you're saying, it seems like it's due at 11:59 p.m. And the application closes at September 26, 2014 (http://www.pdsdc.org/Employment/JobOpportunities.aspx), though the paper application states that its due tomorrow. I'm still working on my application. Wish me luck!

Good luck! Hope you have better luck than me: I blew it in the screener.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:02 pm

I recently had my panel interview with LAS... anyone know how long it takes to hear if we get the final interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently had my panel interview with LAS... anyone know how long it takes to hear if we get the final interview?

I had the same question. I did my panel interview a little over a month ago, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:49 pm

At my LAS panel interview, they said it could take months to hear back. They have changed their hiring practices this year and will interview all those who got a panel interview before they let anyone know about second round.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At my LAS panel interview, they said it could take months to hear back. They have changed their hiring practices this year and will interview all those who got a panel interview before they let anyone know about second round.

Thank you for this. I spent a lot of money to go to NYC and interview with them, but I learned a lot and had a good experience regardless of the result.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At my LAS panel interview, they said it could take months to hear back. They have changed their hiring practices this year and will interview all those who got a panel interview before they let anyone know about second round.

Thank you for this. I spent a lot of money to go to NYC and interview with them, but I learned a lot and had a good experience regardless of the result.

Glad I could help! Best of luck to you and I hope we both get good news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Yeah after my panel interview I was given a sheet with faq and that included the information about waiting until a few months..I think they are still only giving out 10 offers in January though with the rest in April.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:56 am

Thanks for all the responses about LAS. Oof. I feel like job applications are just one big waiting game. Anyone know vaguely when they're going to be done with all of the panel interviews? Last day to submit applications is October 15th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for all the responses about LAS. Oof. I feel like job applications are just one big waiting game. Anyone know vaguely when they're going to be done with all of the panel interviews? Last day to submit applications is October 15th.

I interviewed a little over two weeks after submitting my application. My guess is that they will be done sometime in mid-November, but this is just speculation!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:41 am

just wondering if anyone here has been selected for a second interview with pds?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Preselect for Kentucky (3L)

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Preselect for Kentucky (3L)

Just a warning they will not call you about interviews until at least June 2015 unless they finally decide they're losing too many candidates because they take FOREVER.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:10 am

Accepted interview from LAS (Juvenile Rights Practice)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:38 pm

My friend has a CB with New Hampshire PD in October (he is 3L).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:06 pm

Phone interview with New Hampshire (not sure if this is the same as a callback?) I think they hire pretty early compared to other offices- people should get offers in Dec.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Phone interview with New Hampshire (not sure if this is the same as a callback?) I think they hire pretty early compared to other offices- people should get offers in Dec.

Did you apply to New Hampshire via EJW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:21 pm

no through my school's resume collection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just wondering if anyone here has been selected for a second interview with pds?

nope, still waiting...

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:41 pm

Can anyone offer advice on LAS - Juvenile Rights Practice? I have an interview scheduled with them next week. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”