3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:32 pm

i got rejected last week, even though I rescinded my application over two months ago. I worked for LAS in the past, and had a pretty good chance, from what I was told. But clearly, the decisions have very little, if anything to do with you. Because if they did, they wouldn't have rejected an applicant who wasn't even eligible for the last two months.

This whole thing sucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:11 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm sorry to all of those who got a rejection from LAS.

For those interested in numbers- I think they ended up hiring around 35- 40 people. I also think that internships with LAS mean A LOT. Like a hell of a lot. If you have a supervising attorney pulling for you, gunning for you all of the way, bothering Tina, it helps. I do not think that their hiring process has any sort of logic, in any sort of capacity. I know so many people at my school that would have made incredible PDs and they got the boot. If you really want to work for LAS they have the parole advocacy office, and appeals, which was taking applications (not sure if they currently are doing so- it's more competitive than the trial office, but maybe worth a shot) so I would contact the directors of both of those offices. Parole advocacy attorneys have the opportunity to lateral into the trial offices in two years.

Didn't know about the lateral opportunity so I figured I'd bold it for future generations. Personally, I think its good that former interns get a better shot than people who've never worked there before. The fact that these places don't operate on something similar to the law firm model of hiring baffles me. Why would they pick someone based off a 2 hr interview over someone they've already worked with and liked. I mean they obviously couldn't have a 90% offer rate or whatever but forcing interns that did good work that they want to hire to go through the whole hiring process seems ridiculous and honestly forces a lot of talent into big law for better job security.

I wish this was the case in all offices! I received an amazing final review from my summer internship and my supervisors were gunning for me every step of the way. Then boom no interview request. Kinda baffles me. I've also had my first summer internship recently hire a few grads and my supervisors there wanted me back so much too. Even the boss was like I am super impressed with you. Then no interview request...I don't understand

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Anyone have any information on the Broward PDs? I sent in my stuff a while back and am waiting to hear when I can get an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:10 pm

So still no one on here has gotten an offer (or rejection) from PDS following the final round interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:22 am

At least a few PDS offers are out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:22 pm

So what is everyone planning on doing without offers? Besides feeling like a piece of shit. I'm trying to get volunteer work but I have zero connections being from the middle of nowhere.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Other jobs. I guess.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Can someone tell us how PDS gives their offers? Is it by phone, email or snail mail?
Also, has anyone heard from OPD in Maryland?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone tell us how PDS gives their offers? Is it by phone, email or snail mail?

PDS has made all of their offers for the fall 2014 trial class. Offers were/are made by phone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Has anyone had progress w/ CPCS?

CareBear4

Postby CareBear4 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had progress w/ CPCS?

They called me in late April and told me they were really behind but would be setting up more interviews for mid-May soon, and that I would hear from them before mid-May to schedule my first interview. Still haven't heard from them about scheduling my first interview...but it was clear that I was getting one so I guess they're still extremely behind.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue May 13, 2014 7:24 pm

CareBear4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had progress w/ CPCS?

They called me in late April and told me they were really behind but would be setting up more interviews for mid-May soon, and that I would hear from them before mid-May to schedule my first interview. Still haven't heard from them about scheduling my first interview...but it was clear that I was getting one so I guess they're still extremely behind.

Heh. At this point, I'm registered for the NY and NJ bars, but I'm curious to see if they ever let me know whether they were considering interviewing me. I sent an email to their HR person before bar registration, and when I got no reply I shrugged and made other plans.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 am

Has anyone heard of LAS juvenile hiring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 20, 2014 11:40 am

Has anybody heard anything from Maryland OPD? I emailed them a while back and they said that first round interviews would likely start in May, with second round in June/July.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any information on the Broward PDs? I sent in my stuff a while back and am waiting to hear when I can get an interview.

I heard from a friend he is going for his initial interview later this month and I believe they are group interviews, so if you have not heard I would reach out because they are definitely interviewing at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 24, 2014 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard of LAS juvenile hiring?

i think they hired. i got all the way to the final round...a couple days ago i got an email from them asking if i wanted to remain on the short list for future available positions. im bummed to say the least.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 24, 2014 5:41 pm

is it too early for the class of 2015 to take over this thread? lol..First job fair is in july, SEMJF, any tips? Also, im currently in dc and there are a dozen of fairs all over the country this summer, however, most of them only have 1 PD office hiring..to those of you all who went to fairs, was it worth spending all that money to travel to a fair with just one pd present?

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Sun May 25, 2014 7:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:is it too early for the class of 2015 to take over this thread? lol..First job fair is in july, SEMJF, any tips? Also, im currently in dc and there are a dozen of fairs all over the country this summer, however, most of them only have 1 PD office hiring..to those of you all who went to fairs, was it worth spending all that money to travel to a fair with just one pd present?

How can you tell early on which PD offices will be at the fairs? Is there some sort of list?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 25, 2014 10:04 am

samcro_op wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is it too early for the class of 2015 to take over this thread? lol..First job fair is in july, SEMJF, any tips? Also, im currently in dc and there are a dozen of fairs all over the country this summer, however, most of them only have 1 PD office hiring..to those of you all who went to fairs, was it worth spending all that money to travel to a fair with just one pd present?

How can you tell early on which PD offices will be at the fairs? Is there some sort of list?

Well there is only one at semjf..if u register and log on to some u can see just one is there..for other fairs if the list isn't up yet I've been looking at the employer list from previous years

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Woot woot! Same day offer from a big city mid south PD! I start Monday and work 25 hours till the bar! Loving life right now. Although moving to a city in two weeks with a real estate bubble isn't super fun.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri May 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Hey major congrats!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri May 30, 2014 1:48 pm

robin600 wrote:Woot woot! Same day offer from a big city mid south PD! I start Monday and work 25 hours till the bar! Loving life right now. Although moving to a city in two weeks with a real estate bubble isn't super fun.

Noice! Give those blue-dog Southern city DA's some hell.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Tanicius wrote:
robin600 wrote:Woot woot! Same day offer from a big city mid south PD! I start Monday and work 25 hours till the bar! Loving life right now. Although moving to a city in two weeks with a real estate bubble isn't super fun.

Are we still gonna do that facebook group idea you had? Post bar, obviously.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:12 am

Tanicius wrote:

Yeah def some good ole boys down here. Even the judge calls them general :(

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:33 am

robin600 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Yeah def some good ole boys down here. Even the judge calls them general :(

Wait, wut?

Return to “Legal Employment”