3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LAS? It states in their information packet that offers will made after the New York State Budget get adopted which I assume means passed?

I just got an offer.

What are the chances your name starts at the beginning of the alphabet? And, did you, or, are you going to, accept?! Congrats...

Thank you! My name is not at the beginning of the alphabet, but I had an exploding offer.

How long after you told LAS about your exploding offer did they get back to you? I'm in the same situation right now and I'm trying to figure out if they'll get back to me in time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Anyone else get the wAitlist email for LAS? Looks like all offers have been given already

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:38 pm

Had an interview two weeks ago with CPCS. Wondering if people have heard about
Second rounds.

Got wait listed at LAS. Does anyone know how many people are usually on the list and if they make many offers to people on the waitlist? I was really gunning for this position so I'm pretty hurt right now :(

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:20 pm

To everyone hurt and disappoint: I got turned down for EVERYONE I applied to. Even local PD. Know this now - it will get better. I'm applying for new jobs and feeling pretty good. My advice? Say "fuck you" to the asshats who didn't recognize your awesomeness. And then have a shot, get laid, watch a funny movie, and move on.

Good luck to everyone in here who didn't make it just like I didn't.

ETA: also, it isn't really our fault - we'd all be shoe ins a decade ago. It's mostly the lawyer glut and shitty economy that's screwing us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else get the wAitlist email for LAS? Looks like all offers have been given already

Crap. I was waiting to hear and didn't get an offer or a waitlist email. Is my rejection letter coming?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:42 pm

I just got a rejection from LAS - my last hope. I'm stunned.

I panelled in September, hit it out of the park - my professor called on my behalf and got excellent feedback. I interviewed with Tina in November. It was a really limited interview - but I thought it was fine. She told me, "you may not hear from us for a lonnng time, do not worry." She really made me feel like it was a formality. I had 3 or 4 letters of rec sent in on my behalf. Months and months and agonizing months later, I get this rejection.

I am just so crushed right now. Where did I go wrong? Did a reference screw me? This is the most painful and hurtful experience in law school yet, and there have been several.

I guess I wish I knew more specifics. If Tina interviewed 200 and took 25, I don't feel as bad - but she made it seem like a formality... it was such a chincy, short interview - is that why I got cut? God I just wish I had some explanation... even if I didn't like it.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I wish I knew more specifics. If Tina interviewed 200 and took 25, I don't feel as bad - but she made it seem like a formality... it was such a chincy, short interview - is that why I got cut? God I just wish I had some explanation... even if I didn't like it.

That's not a cited figure, is it? I mean, for how short and sweet the interview is, she can't possibly be cutting 87.5% of the top applicants just by that interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I guess I wish I knew more specifics. If Tina interviewed 200 and took 25, I don't feel as bad - but she made it seem like a formality... it was such a chincy, short interview - is that why I got cut? God I just wish I had some explanation... even if I didn't like it.

That's not a cited figure, is it? I mean, for how short and sweet the interview is, she can't possibly be cutting 87.5% of the top applicants just by that interview.

No, it's not a cited figure. I'm sorry I thought it was clear I was just pulling a hypo out of my ass. I'm finding it hard to understand how she cut even 1% based on that tiny interview she jammed into her busy schedule for 10 minutes.

Am I out of line for wanting a little more of an explanation about the process? I mean for chrissakes they kept me hanging for 5 and a half months.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got a rejection from LAS - my last hope. I'm stunned.

I panelled in September, hit it out of the park - my professor called on my behalf and got excellent feedback. I interviewed with Tina in November. It was a really limited interview - but I thought it was fine. She told me, "you may not hear from us for a lonnng time, do not worry." She really made me feel like it was a formality. I had 3 or 4 letters of rec sent in on my behalf. Months and months and agonizing months later, I get this rejection.

I am just so crushed right now. Where did I go wrong? Did a reference screw me? This is the most painful and hurtful experience in law school yet, and there have been several.

I guess I wish I knew more specifics. If Tina interviewed 200 and took 25, I don't feel as bad - but she made it seem like a formality... it was such a chincy, short interview - is that why I got cut? God I just wish I had some explanation... even if I didn't like it.

spleenworship wrote:ETA: also, it isn't really our fault - we'd all be shoe ins a decade ago. It's mostly the lawyer glut and shitty economy that's screwing us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:16 pm

My understanding was that it was around 70 made it to the Tina interview and that they were only going to take 25. Who knows if this is right but I really tried to pin them down when I had an exploding offer. Brooklyn seemed like similar odds, 25 folks for 5 spots. BUT, this could have all been BS that they use gave me to stop bugging them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:17 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just got a rejection from LAS - my last hope. I'm stunned.

spleenworship wrote:ETA: also, it isn't really our fault - we'd all be shoe ins a decade ago. It's mostly the lawyer glut and shitty economy that's screwing us.

Thanks man, I know a lot of us are in this same boat together. I guess I'd even appreciate that as an explanation... "hey, we only hired X attorneys this year... tough year, sorry we made you feel like you had it for 5.5 months."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My understanding was that it was around 70 made it to the Tina interview and that they were only going to take 25. Who knows if this is right but I really tried to pin them down when I had an exploding offer. Brooklyn seemed like similar odds, 25 folks for 5 spots. BUT, this could have all been BS that they use gave me to stop bugging them.

So 25 as opposed to last year's 75-80 (I think). Well if that's the case I don't feel as bad. I'm sure lots of good people got cut. But they couldn't have made some cuts between November and now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My understanding was that it was around 70 made it to the Tina interview and that they were only going to take 25. Who knows if this is right but I really tried to pin them down when I had an exploding offer. Brooklyn seemed like similar odds, 25 folks for 5 spots. BUT, this could have all been BS that they use gave me to stop bugging them.

Would it kill these people to make this information public? Why is the process so fucking shrouded in mystery? It's no way to treat people.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

No, it's not a cited figure. I'm sorry I thought it was clear I was just pulling a hypo out of my ass. I'm finding it hard to understand how she cut even 1% based on that tiny interview she jammed into her busy schedule for 10 minutes.

Am I out of line for wanting a little more of an explanation about the process? I mean for chrissakes they kept me hanging for 5 and a half months.

I'm just as peeved because that describes the interview for the main office I was gunning for myself.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Would it kill these people to make this information public? Why is the process so fucking shrouded in mystery? It's no way to treat people.

I will say this for Miami - they told me straight up the number of people they hired, and why I wasn't amongst them. They also told me how many people I beat out and that they woul have hired me if they'd had twice as many spots. It sucked, but at least they were up front and honest with me.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:29 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I will say this for Miami - they told me straight up the number of people they hired, and why I wasn't amongst them. They also told me how many people I beat out and that they woul have hired me if they'd had twice as many spots. It sucked, but at least they were up front and honest with me.

How'd they tell you that? Was it in the letter I never opened?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Jessuf wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How'd they tell you that? Was it in the letter I never opened?

I straight up called after my third round interview like he asked me to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:56 pm

How did you hear - email or snail mail?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

I'm just as peeved because that describes the interview for the main office I was gunning for myself.

The more I think about it, LAS' process is entirely nonsensical. It is missing a REAL final round. So you do your substantive interview with only 2 people - so they can't compare you to all the candidates they didn't see. So the deciding factor is...... Tina's 10 minute meet and greet? School/GPA? Letters of rec?

Does this make any sense at all?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Jess - if it helps, Miami only hired 8 out of the 1500 applications they received.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How did you hear - email or snail mail?

Email today at 5:40pm. Glad someone was on top of it on Good Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:58 pm

spleenworship wrote:I will say this for Miami - they told me straight up the number of people they hired, and why I wasn't amongst them. They also told me how many people I beat out and that they woul have hired me if they'd had twice as many spots. It sucked, but at least they were up front and honest with me.

Curious about what they told you. I wish I had gotten more substantive feedback on the final round.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I will say this for Miami - they told me straight up the number of people they hired, and why I wasn't amongst them. They also told me how many people I beat out and that they woul have hired me if they'd had twice as many spots. It sucked, but at least they were up front and honest with me.

Curious about what they told you. I wish I had gotten more substantive feedback on the final round.

PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Anyone know whether PDS sends rejections by email or mail?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Pretty sure it said there would be 25 hires on the application materials

Return to “Legal Employment”