3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The question isn't whether waiving is different from waiving in by reciprocity. The question is do you have to take the DC bar? According to what I read on their job posting, they accept reciprocity admission to DC Bar. So from what I understand, you don't need to take the DC Bar.



The point is that if you waive in by reciprocity, you often have to wait 6 months for the next cycle of bar admissions. For people who want to work for PDS this fall, they need to be admitted in the fall, not a year from today.


But my point is that on their job listing, they put that you can waive in by reciprocity. What BVest wrote above makes sense.


Ok, I see what you're saying. That part about reciprocity admission applies to only those who have already passed the bar, and not to 3Ls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:35 pm

I guess I should have known better than to ask a group of law students a question. The recruiting director specifically tells people that you have to sit for the DC bar as a 3L. But I guess since the conversation turned to that requirement, no one's heard regarding a third round? Their process has dragged on much longer than I was expecting.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Yes I'm sure. I even asked why and they told me the waiving process takes too long and if you wouldn't take the DC bar they wouldn't hire you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:20 pm

For the person asking about first round cpcs interviews, when did you have your interview and did they tell you what their timeline is?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Re PDS: If you're already admitted in another state, they let you waive in. If not, you have to take DC.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re PDS: If you're already admitted in another state, they let you waive in. If not, you have to take DC.


TBF I am a 3L, so you are prolly correct re: attorneys applying.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the person asking about first round cpcs interviews, when did you have your interview and did they tell you what their timeline is?


I had my interview a week ago and they told me nothing concrete

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks. I still haven't heard anything about a first round interview after the long application they sent out a while back so I'm trying to figure out if they have already set all of those up or may just be going slowly through the applications.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:40 am

Has anyone heard from LAS? It states in their information packet that offers will made after the New York State Budget get adopted which I assume means passed?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:20 am

Anyone know about New Jersey's PD system? From what I've gathered here, they give a few pre-bar offers but mostly hire post-bar. Their (hilariously outdated) website isn't very helpful regarding any deadlines or procedures for entry-level attorney applications from graduating 3Ls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LAS? It states in their information packet that offers will made after the New York State Budget get adopted which I assume means passed?


I just got an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LAS? It states in their information packet that offers will made after the New York State Budget get adopted which I assume means passed?


I just got an offer.


By phone or email?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LAS? It states in their information packet that offers will made after the New York State Budget get adopted which I assume means passed?


I just got an offer.


By phone or email?


Phone- They'll then mail offer letters to everyone who accepts.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LAS? It states in their information packet that offers will made after the New York State Budget get adopted which I assume means passed?


I just got an offer.


By phone or email?


Phone- They'll then mail offer letters to everyone who accepts.


Just got offer on phone also

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Anyone who had a final round interview with PDS last week get an offer yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LAS? It states in their information packet that offers will made after the New York State Budget get adopted which I assume means passed?


I just got an offer.


What are the chances your name starts at the beginning of the alphabet? And, did you, or, are you going to, accept?! Congrats...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Any familiar with the Orlando or Tampa PDs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LAS? It states in their information packet that offers will made after the New York State Budget get adopted which I assume means passed?


I just got an offer.


What are the chances your name starts at the beginning of the alphabet? And, did you, or, are you going to, accept?! Congrats...


Thank you! My name is not at the beginning of the alphabet, but I had an exploding offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any familiar with the Orlando or Tampa PDs?


Both hire after the bar. Tampa told me this after I filled out their crazy application that included a personality test and math word problems.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who had a final round interview with PDS last week get an offer yet?


Has anyone heard back?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LAS? It states in their information packet that offers will made after the New York State Budget get adopted which I assume means passed?


I just got an offer.


What are the chances your name starts at the beginning of the alphabet? And, did you, or, are you going to, accept?! Congrats...


Thank you! My name is not at the beginning of the alphabet, but I had an exploding offer.


Hey all - I'm a current LASer who got hired last year. LAS is in the clear, budget-wise, in that nothing was cut and everything we anticipated getting came through. I have no idea how many we're hiring (I've heard the number 25 floating around but not sure). Offers last year came by phone - most came on April 29th, including mine (at like 4:55pm, phew!) so just hang tight. They also do a waiting list and I know of people who got off it last year later in the summer. If they called your references, it's definitely a good sign. Now is the time to use any connections you have/have your references make additional calls if necessary to sing your praises. Send in any updates on really awesome stuff that you did in clinic/good grades/papers published. If you're close with the person who interviewed you in the 2nd round, have them make a call to Tina too. Fingers crossed and can't wait for you all to join us - it's really a dream job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all - I'm a current LASer who got hired last year. LAS is in the clear, budget-wise, in that nothing was cut and everything we anticipated getting came through. I have no idea how many we're hiring (I've heard the number 25 floating around but not sure). Offers last year came by phone - most came on April 29th, including mine (at like 4:55pm, phew!) so just hang tight. They also do a waiting list and I know of people who got off it last year later in the summer. If they called your references, it's definitely a good sign. Now is the time to use any connections you have/have your references make additional calls if necessary to sing your praises. Send in any updates on really awesome stuff that you did in clinic/good grades/papers published. If you're close with the person who interviewed you in the 2nd round, have them make a call to Tina too. Fingers crossed and can't wait for you all to join us - it's really a dream job.


Sooooo... can you be my connection? I am still waiting to hear and I want it so bad.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who had a final round interview with PDS last week get an offer yet?


Has anyone heard back?


So I had a third and final round interview with PDS last week. I was flown in, the whole deal. I was also told that they would be deciding quickly, but I haven't heard anything back. Did anyone else here make it to the final round, and if so, have you heard anything? The suspense is figuratively killing me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey all - I'm a current LASer who got hired last year. LAS is in the clear, budget-wise, in that nothing was cut and everything we anticipated getting came through. I have no idea how many we're hiring (I've heard the number 25 floating around but not sure). Offers last year came by phone - most came on April 29th, including mine (at like 4:55pm, phew!) so just hang tight. They also do a waiting list and I know of people who got off it last year later in the summer. If they called your references, it's definitely a good sign. Now is the time to use any connections you have/have your references make additional calls if necessary to sing your praises. Send in any updates on really awesome stuff that you did in clinic/good grades/papers published. If you're close with the person who interviewed you in the 2nd round, have them make a call to Tina too. Fingers crossed and can't wait for you all to join us - it's really a dream job.


Sooooo... can you be my connection? I am still waiting to hear and I want it so bad.

Hah I wish - I doubt I'd have much pull as a lowly new attorney :) but if you have any questions, reply here! I'm happy to answer. I was religiously stalking this thread last year with LAS as my last (and highest) hope so don't lose faith.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who had a final round interview with PDS last week get an offer yet?


Has anyone heard back?


So I had a third and final round interview with PDS last week. I was flown in, the whole deal. I was also told that they would be deciding quickly, but I haven't heard anything back. Did anyone else here make it to the final round, and if so, have you heard anything? The suspense is figuratively killing me.


I made it to the final round. Haven't heard anything since. I'm starting to think that since I didn't hear anything yet, I didn't get the position.

Who else made it to the final round?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.