3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:44 am

Is anyone still waiting to hear from PDS after the second round interview? And for those of you who have heard, did they send letters in the mail? It's been three weeks since my second round and I'm just watching bar deadlines slowly pass while waiting for someone to get back to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 pm

I havent heard anything after my second round at PDS--continuing to anxiously wait!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 pm

According a family friend/current LAS attorney, Tina will be making calls this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PDS people--could you tell me if these rejections were in response to the second round interview, or the first screening interview?
Thanks in advance for the info

Second interview

draculawyer

Postby draculawyer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:34 pm

Did the PDS rejections come by email or snail mail? And has anyone gotten an offer? Trying to decide whether to take another job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 pm

draculawyer wrote:Did the PDS rejections come by email or snail mail? And has anyone gotten an offer? Trying to decide whether to take another job.

Snail mail for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Were you rejected after first round or second? When did you receive the snail mail?
AHH the waiting!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:57 pm

Anyone else waiting to hear back about an interview with Colorado's trial or appellate division? I applied for the appellate job, but not sure if they're going to interview me, and I'm not sure if trial is even still interviewing people.

DayTripper1967

Postby DayTripper1967 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:01 pm

I'm sure this will depend on what office you're in, but if I can't find a PD job, would it be a good idea to volunteer at an office I want to get into? Do any of you know the likelihood that being a volunteer will lead to a job?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:37 pm

DayTripper1967 wrote:I'm sure this will depend on what office you're in, but if I can't find a PD job, would it be a good idea to volunteer at an office I want to get into? Do any of you know the likelihood that being a volunteer will lead to a job?

The general answer is yes, it helps. People are more reluctant to pass up volunteers who put time into their office for someone applying from elsewhere. But it can depend on that particular office and how its budget works, so I would ask around and would not make the assumption that they even can hire you later if they end up wanting to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:05 am

If anyone DOES receive a call from NY Legal Aid, can you post here? That way we know when the calls are coming in and what to expect.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:22 am

Has anyone received a call for the third round at PDS?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone DOES receive a call from NY Legal Aid, can you post here? That way we know when the calls are coming in and what to expect.

The thing is we still won't know what to expect. Are they making ALL offers this week? The vaunted "first 10" they were supposed to make a long time ago? The only difference is my anxiety will go up 100x from its already high levels if I haven't received a call and others have. Then I would have to live with that heightened anxiety for another possible 3-4 months until I get a final response. (considering I've heard of people getting offers exceptionally late)

I'm going to TRY to avoid this message board. No one has any real info. The mayor hasn't submitted a budget and that's who funds LAS, not the state (I believe). I feel slight relief everytime I see calls haven't gone out... but that is just not enough benefit to offset the misery of heightened anxiety for an indeterminate length after I read that calls have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:00 pm

Does anyone know if Gideon's Promise LSPP offers have gone out? I know some offices have made offers (e.g., Charlotte, Birmingham) but was wondering about the others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If anyone DOES receive a call from NY Legal Aid, can you post here? That way we know when the calls are coming in and what to expect.

The thing is we still won't know what to expect. Are they making ALL offers this week? The vaunted "first 10" they were supposed to make a long time ago? The only difference is my anxiety will go up 100x from its already high levels if I haven't received a call and others have. Then I would have to live with that heightened anxiety for another possible 3-4 months until I get a final response. (considering I've heard of people getting offers exceptionally late)

I'm going to TRY to avoid this message board. No one has any real info. The mayor hasn't submitted a budget and that's who funds LAS, not the state (I believe). I feel slight relief everytime I see calls haven't gone out... but that is just not enough benefit to offset the misery of heightened anxiety for an indeterminate length after I read that calls have.

I just wanted to know. I have an exploding offer, so if it's not this week, I'll e-mail them again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone still waiting to hear from PDS after the second round interview? And for those of you who have heard, did they send letters in the mail? It's been three weeks since my second round and I'm just watching bar deadlines slowly pass while waiting for someone to get back to me.

lol. Whether or not PDS gets back to you should have absolutely no bearing on what bar you need to take. Everyone just waives into DC from a different state anyway

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:04 am

PDS requires that new attorneys take the DC bar, but thanks for the tip anyway.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:PDS requires that new attorneys take the DC bar, but thanks for the tip anyway.

This. They specifically required this both on the application and reiterated it during the interview I blew.

Hey people: you don't know the answer for sure, don't try to help out. You just make things worse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:24 am

Anyone heard from cpcs after a first round interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:32 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PDS requires that new attorneys take the DC bar, but thanks for the tip anyway.

This. They specifically required this both on the application and reiterated it during the interview I blew.

Hey people: you don't know the answer for sure, don't try to help out. You just make things worse.

Are you sure about this? I saw on their job posting that you need JD + membership in DC Bar OR eligibility for reciprocity admission to DC Bar.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Are you sure about this? I saw on their job posting that you need JD + membership in DC Bar OR eligibility for reciprocity admission to DC Bar.

Waiving in by reciprocity is different than waiving in because you've passed the bar just anywhere, like with a federal court. Waiving in by reciprocity is a process of admission that takes time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Waiving in by reciprocity is different than waiving in because you've passed the bar just anywhere, like with a federal court. Waiving in by reciprocity is a process of admission that takes time.

The question isn't whether waiving is different from waiving in by reciprocity. The question is do you have to take the DC bar? According to what I read on their job posting, they accept reciprocity admission to DC Bar. So from what I understand, you don't need to take the DC Bar.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

DC doesn't take time to waive in for most states -- I mean aside from whatever administrative delays there may be while they process the waiver (which I understand can take almost a year), but there's also a provisional status for supervised attorneys.
Last edited by BVest on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The question isn't whether waiving is different from waiving in by reciprocity. The question is do you have to take the DC bar? According to what I read on their job posting, they accept reciprocity admission to DC Bar. So from what I understand, you don't need to take the DC Bar.

The point is that if you waive in by reciprocity, you often have to wait 6 months for the next cycle of bar admissions. For people who want to work for PDS this fall, they need to be admitted in the fall, not a year from today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:19 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The question isn't whether waiving is different from waiving in by reciprocity. The question is do you have to take the DC bar? According to what I read on their job posting, they accept reciprocity admission to DC Bar. So from what I understand, you don't need to take the DC Bar.

The point is that if you waive in by reciprocity, you often have to wait 6 months for the next cycle of bar admissions. For people who want to work for PDS this fall, they need to be admitted in the fall, not a year from today.

But my point is that on their job listing, they put that you can waive in by reciprocity. What BVest wrote above makes sense.

Return to “Legal Employment”