3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
MikeMcD

New

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by MikeMcD » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote: LAS is waiting until April 1/ NYC budget.

Is anyone savvy enough to try to comb through the public documents (the budget is basically a done deal from what I understand) and take a guess on LAS' funding situation? Of course, even having the numbers, who knows what they mean.... but it seems like as valuable a type of speculation as any.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:48 am

for those saying they have no more options, keep MD on the radar. OPD hasn't opened for its fall class yet. They're not sure on numbers but they will hire.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:for those saying they have no more options, keep MD on the radar. OPD hasn't opened for its fall class yet. They're not sure on numbers but they will hire.

The Fall 2014 Class job posting is on their website, but it says: "Current 3Ls are not eligible for this position."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
for those saying they have no more options, keep MD on the radar. OPD hasn't opened for its fall class yet. They're not sure on numbers but they will hire.

The Fall 2014 Class job posting is on their website, but it says: "Current 3Ls are not eligible for this position."

Oh fail, sorry. I thought they said if you were registered for the MD Bar exam you could apply, at least that's been the policy in the past. It may still be, but this is a way of keeping application numbers down? If not, they hire a feb class too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:41 pm

I still haven't heard back from Philly after Round 1. Has this happened to anyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I still haven't heard back from Philly after Round 1. Has this happened to anyone else?
Pretty sure they're done. They've sent out rejection letters and hired some people. Last Friday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:39 pm

Just got called by PDS and set up a second round interview at their office. Does anyone know what this interview entails? Pretty sure they aren't going to be e-mailing me any materials to prepare so I wonder if there will be substantive criminal law involved.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got called by PDS and set up a second round interview at their office. Does anyone know what this interview entails? Pretty sure they aren't going to be e-mailing me any materials to prepare so I wonder if there will be substantive criminal law involved.
I would definitely brush up on your federal CrimPro. As for any D.C.-specific case law, if they ask you about it I would push back and say you didn't have even close to enough time to research the specifics of D.C. law but would be absolutely happy to analyze it with federal law. As long as you're confident in your answer it shouldn't hurt you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got called by PDS and set up a second round interview at their office. Does anyone know what this interview entails? Pretty sure they aren't going to be e-mailing me any materials to prepare so I wonder if there will be substantive criminal law involved.
When I did it it was a panel asking similar questions to the first round but in a more aggressive/challenging manner, and then a couple quick hypos (one ethical one practical)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Do you mind sharing when you did your first round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
When I did it it was a panel asking similar questions to the first round but in a more aggressive/challenging manner, and then a couple quick hypos (one ethical one practical)

Cool. That would make sense and seems manageable. Thanks for the quick response!

As for the other person who asked when I did my first round, I did a telephone interview toward the end of the week of March 17th.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:58 am

Hey n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t, you PM'ed me this morning because apparently your account has disabled the receipt of PMs, so I can't message you back. Shoot me another message when you re-enable PM receipts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Does anyone know anything about CPCS's interview and hiring timeline?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:20 pm

so April 1 has come and gone. No word from LAS. To be expected, maybe, but.. if not now, when?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Sent in my application for the Maryland OPD. Is anybody familiar with the hiring process, timeline, that kind of thing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:50 am

has anyone received a rejection letter from LAS after interviewing with Tina? I would like to know if LAS started narrowing the pool yet or if everybody who meet with Tina is still waiting to hear from LAS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone received a rejection letter from LAS after interviewing with Tina? I would like to know if LAS started narrowing the pool yet or if everybody who meet with Tina is still waiting to hear from LAS.

LAS is going to make offers next week. I heard, if they contacted your references, you are on a list of people they potentially would like to hire. Now that they have the budget (and, actually, increased funding because they are taking 18B cases), they will rank their choices and make offers to those top choices.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:has anyone received a rejection letter from LAS after interviewing with Tina? I would like to know if LAS started narrowing the pool yet or if everybody who meet with Tina is still waiting to hear from LAS.

LAS is going to make offers next week. I heard, if they contacted your references, you are on a list of people they potentially would like to hire. Now that they have the budget (and, actually, increased funding because they are taking 18B cases), they will rank their choices and make offers to those top choices.

Can you offer any more info about your source that will give us more confidence in your assertions? While the NYS budget passed - the mayor doesn't submit the city budget until April 26th (http://council.nyc.gov/html/about/budget.shtml) and it isn't passed until June 5th. The city budget, as opposed to the NYS budget, seems to be where the action is at in terms of LAS funding (see: http://council.nyc.gov/downloads/pdf/bu ... galaid.pdf).

Last year I know someone personally who didn't get an offer until May, and I've heard of another not receiving one until August.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can you offer any more info about your source that will give us more confidence in your assertions? While the NYS budget passed - the mayor doesn't submit the city budget until April 26th (http://council.nyc.gov/html/about/budget.shtml) and it isn't passed until June 5th. The city budget, as opposed to the NYS budget, seems to be where the action is at in terms of LAS funding (see: http://council.nyc.gov/downloads/pdf/bu ... galaid.pdf).

Last year I know someone personally who didn't get an offer until May, and I've heard of another not receiving one until August.
My "assertions" come from my career center and two supervising attorneys at Legal Aid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Received the rejection from PDS. Sucks because I really wanted to work in that office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received the rejection from PDS. Sucks because I really wanted to work in that office.
Ditto. Though I suspected this was the case before I got the actual letter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received the rejection from PDS. Sucks because I really wanted to work in that office.
The second interview was insane. The hypo at the end totally threw me for a loop. Do you know if there is any resource available to answer these ethical hypos?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The second interview was insane. The hypo at the end totally threw me for a loop. Do you know if there is any resource available to answer these ethical hypos?
Fuck them. Their ethics hypos are so complicated a Jesuit couldn't answer without committing a venial sin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:05 pm

PDS people--could you tell me if these rejections were in response to the second round interview, or the first screening interview?
Thanks in advance for the info

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:11 pm

2nd anon: first round

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”