3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:13 am

Accepted at miami...anyone else going (who reads this)? PM me :)

I'll be pulling out of BDS which should be informing about 3rd rounds soon (hiring 6 total) and I have it on good authority maryland will be opening for their fall class in the next couple of weeks. (you dont have to be md barred, you have to be registered to take the bar there)

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:17 am

Where'd you find out BDS was hiring 6 people? I really wish they hadn't waffled around with "well, we actually don't know if we'll even hire anyone this year it could be 12 people it could be 0". What they did tell me was that they were maybe going to have 20-25 people total for 3rd rounds, pretty sure I posted that number earlier but if not I hope someone finds it helpful!

also, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=226797 is fairly enjoyable, so happy I'll be a PD.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:24 am

i can't remember if i heard it during the interview or from a contact in the office but 6 is generally what they were looking at. that said, i'm sure like LAS they're waiting for the budget to come through before they even know what they're taking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Philly.....I give up. I think we have to just accept that their timelines are extremely flexible and it could be several days before any news comes in. I can't take waiting anymore so I am going to just begin working on other job applications and try to put it out of my mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: Philly.....I give up. I think we have to just accept that their timelines are extremely flexible and it could be several days before any news comes in. I can't take waiting anymore so I am going to just begin working on other job applications and try to put it out of my mind.

Yeah well I have a bar deadline next week... So I need the answer by Monday at the latest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 am

What is going on with Philly if they go into the weekend without any decisions it will be so disappointing!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is going on with Philly if they go into the weekend without any decisions it will be so disappointing!

I've heard of a few rejections going out via email today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:21 am

I hope you're not trolling

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is going on with Philly if they go into the weekend without any decisions it will be so disappointing!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:30 am

If someone calls I will rewad them handsomely with bitcoins

Anonymous User wrote:I hope you're not trolling

Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Not trolling. I know a few people who got the email. I don't know anyone that was offered, so no idea how those people will find out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User wrote:

Not trolling. I know a few people who got the email. I don't know anyone that was offered, so no idea how those people will find out.

Reading this made me go from desperately wanting an email from them to desperately not wanting an email from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

[/quote]

Not trolling. I know a few people who got the email. I don't know anyone that was offered, so no idea how those people will find out.[/quote]

Reading this made me go from desperately wanting an email from them to desperately not wanting an email from them.[/quote]

I'm sensing that it was a troll. Why would he "know a few people" who got the email, yet not one other person has come on here to report a ding?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not trolling. I know a few people who got the email. I don't know anyone that was offered, so no idea how those people will find out.[/quote]

Reading this made me go from desperately wanting an email from them to desperately not wanting an email from them.[/quote]

I'm sensing that it was a troll. Why would he "know a few people" who got the email, yet not one other person has come on here to report a ding?[/quote]

Maybe he or she is referring to the email rejections people received after their first round interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:15 pm

I'm sensing that it was a troll. Why would he "know a few people" who got the email, yet not one other person has come on here to report a ding?[/quote]

Maybe he or she is referring to the email rejections people received after their first round interview?[/quote]

Someone call Philly before they go home for the day

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:31 pm

I don't think we should dismiss this poster as a troll. I've been skeptical of the idea that any offers are going to out by email. I've never gotten any kind of offer for internships or jobs by email, always by phone. E-mails usually are bad news. Of course, there's a first time for everything, but also considering that they notified us of second round selections by phone, I'm thinking this idea about getting offers by email was likely a miscommunication, as in, you'll get some answer by email if you don't get a call.

It's also not unreasonable that some people have gotten rejections already after round 2. If they're only hiring around 10 people and have done final interviews for, who knows, 40 people?* It's quite possible that now that they've gone through all the applications, aren't going to make the cut even if some of the people who get offers turn them down.

*I've been trying to figure out how many people are in the running based on how many weeks they've been doing final interviews, and it just depresses me too much to be too precise, so your estimates may vary.

ETA; Definitely not a troll. I just got the email ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i can't remember if i heard it during the interview or from a contact in the office but 6 is generally what they were looking at. that said, i'm sure like LAS they're waiting for the budget to come through before they even know what they're taking.

LAS is waiting until April 1/ NYC budget. I had another offer, but I it's really flexible, so I e-mailed her to tell her about it. She told me budget time= hiring time. Also they are in a bit of chaos because of Steve Banks leaving. They are still my #1 choice- but I feel everyone on the waiting. Also, ditto on the Philly offers. I haven't heard a peep from them and I am worried.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Posted this in the DA/PD gunner thread, but figured I should ask here too.

People who know New York's PD offices - do they take on volunteer attorneys/post-bar interns - i.e. someone who just took the bar and is working for free (paid via school program)? I've been googling and not really getting a good answer.

I saw the the Bronx Defenders takes on people through the Equal Justice Works fellowship, but apparently that cycle has closed already. Also, I don't really need funding, just an office to take me on that will hopefully eventually hire me or let me get legal work until another office hires me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:00 pm

To anyone still waiting on Philly, I called about an hour ago for a status update. Was told on the phone that I did not get it, and then received the rejection email about 5 minutes later. The person I spoke to on the phone said she has been working all afternoon to send out rejection emails, didn't say how or when they were making offers.

I guess I just gotta keep my fingers crossed for LAS now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To anyone still waiting on Philly, I called about an hour ago for a status update. Was told on the phone that I did not get it, and then received the rejection email about 5 minutes later. The person I spoke to on the phone said she has been working all afternoon to send out rejection emails, didn't say how or when they were making offers.

I guess I just gotta keep my fingers crossed for LAS now.

Oof, sorry friend. I also was rejected by email. LAS rejected me a long time ago, and Philly was really the only pre-bar office I had left. I guess I technically am still waiting to see if Colorado or Massachusetts want to interview me, but I've pretty much given up on them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Got reject from Philly by email. PDS hasn't called and from what I hear they're already doing second rounds. So I guess my only hope is the local PD.

Fuck me. $1500 spent flying around the country and I could've stayed here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got reject from Philly by email. PDS hasn't called and from what I hear they're already doing second rounds. So I guess my only hope is the local PD.

What exactly did you hear about PDS? I mean they only started first rounds last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:37 pm

add me to the philly reject list. fml

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:46 pm

San Diego offers for post bar positions went out today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got reject from Philly by email. PDS hasn't called and from what I hear they're already doing second rounds. So I guess my only hope is the local PD.

What exactly did you hear about PDS? I mean they only started first rounds last week.

That a reliable source knows a law studen who got a call for a second round.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Not the anon above, but I know a graduated volunteer in the office I've been externing who is doing an in-person callback with PDS next week.

Return to “Legal Employment”