3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:06 pm

When a PD organization asks for a writing sample should I submit a statement in mitigation or something more research oriented like a motion to dismiss or suppression motion?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When a PD organization asks for a writing sample should I submit a statement in mitigation or something more research oriented like a motion to dismiss or suppression motion?

Suppression motion is what I like to send. YMMV.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:50 pm

San Diego third round interview calls were on Friday. Third round interviews are this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:San Diego third round interview calls were on Friday. Third round interviews are this week.

So, I take it if I didn't get a call on Friday then I'm out of the run for SD?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:43 pm

does anybody know if it is a good sign and if so how good of a sign it is if Legal Aid Society calls your references?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:San Diego third round interview calls were on Friday. Third round interviews are this week.

yes-they don't do the courtesy email rejections-just keep you hanging until you get an official rejection letter in the mail in may.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:does anybody know if it is a good sign and if so how good of a sign it is if Legal Aid Society calls your references?

It's always a good sign whenever references are called-they wouldn't waste their time on someone they aren't seriously considering.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

yes-they don't do the courtesy email rejections-just keep you hanging until you get an official rejection letter in the mail in may.

So they just ignore emails asking about status?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anybody know if it is a good sign and if so how good of a sign it is if Legal Aid Society calls your references?

It's always a good sign whenever references are called-they wouldn't waste their time on someone they aren't seriously considering.

Just FYI- they called my references in December and I still haven't heard anything from them. So it's definitely a good sign, but they also.... are still dragging their feet. So just hang in there!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Has anyone heard anything from CPCS?

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from CPCS?

Nothing. I returned my questionnaire months ago. I guess they interview really late in the year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So they just ignore emails asking about status?

I've never done it and don't know anyone who has. Also don't know who you emailed-if it's your interviewer he's super busy right now and prob won't bother replying to hundreds of status emails. 99% certain that if you haven't been called by now you are out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:25 pm

PDS sent out some screener requests today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PDS sent out some screener requests today.

Along that line... does anyone think there is a way to hold off on committing to any other job offers while you go through the PDS process? I think that I might receive one or two job offers on Monday... theoretically even three. Can anyone think of a way to delay those while I try to get the PDS job? PDS is my first choice but, honestly, I didn't even expect to get a screener from them. I'd rather work for them than anyone else, but I'm not crazy enough to throw away a guaranteed job with another good PD office either.

Before anyone asks, I told each and every employer I did my final round interviews with that I would go with them if offered. So if I suddenly backed off and asked for time without a good excuse, it would potentially go bad for me... but... seriously, PDS, you know?

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Along that line... does anyone think there is a way to hold off on committing to any other job offers while you go through the PDS process? I think that I might receive one or two job offers on Monday... theoretically even three. Can anyone think of a way to delay those while I try to get the PDS job? PDS is my first choice but, honestly, I didn't even expect to get a screener from them. I'd rather work for them than anyone else, but I'm not crazy enough to throw away a guaranteed job with another good PD office either.

Before anyone asks, I told each and every employer I did my final round interviews with that I would go with them if offered. So if I suddenly backed off and asked for time without a good excuse, it would potentially go bad for me... but... seriously, PDS, you know?

Well, I haven't had the good fortune to be in this position for post-grad paying jobs, but I was in a similar situation for internships last year. Just ask them for time or even by what day/date they need an answer, and only if you must, explain that you're in the middle of interviewing for another position. Most employers expect to give you some time, a few days at least, to think it over before accepting. Then call up PDS and tell them you have an offer and if they want to expedite interviews.

You could even ask for an extension on an offer if needed (at which point you'll need to say why), but you may not get the extra time. You should not worry that they'll freak out and withdraw on the spot if you ask for time before accepting, unless it's a seriously unpleasant place to work. But yeah, they might tell you they want an answer sooner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:10 pm

Anyone heard from Federal Defenders of SD after applying and interviewing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:31 pm

Damn when did you apply and interview? I thought my final interview went really well with Tina, but I'm guessing if she hasn't contacted my references than I'm out. :( This means I will be unemployed upon graduation... fml
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What other offers are you expecting?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm being overly cautious, but I don't feel comfortable answering this. I already feel like I gave too much away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm being overly cautious, but I don't feel comfortable answering this. I already feel like I gave too much away.

Are they more regional offices or ones that recruit nationally?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are they more regional offices or ones that recruit nationally?

A mixture of both.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:19 pm

If you get a substantially better job offer, you just tell the office you had previously accepted that you need to withdraw, thanks for their consideration, sorry for the inconvenience. There's really not much more to it. You don't seriously think the right thing to do is to give up a chance to seriously improve your career trajectory to satisfy some vague notion of loyalty to an employer who has only invested 2-3 hours of time into you? Do you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:02 pm

anon sequitur wrote:If you get a substantially better job offer, you just tell the office you had previously accepted that you need to withdraw, thanks for their consideration, sorry for the inconvenience. There's really not much more to it. You don't seriously think the right thing to do is to give up a chance to seriously improve your career trajectory to satisfy some vague notion of loyalty to an employer who has only invested 2-3 hours of time into you? Do you?

This is a pretty good point. I guess I just feel bad since I told them I'd commit if offered.

hmmbird

Postby hmmbird » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:If you get a substantially better job offer, you just tell the office you had previously accepted that you need to withdraw, thanks for their consideration, sorry for the inconvenience. There's really not much more to it. You don't seriously think the right thing to do is to give up a chance to seriously improve your career trajectory to satisfy some vague notion of loyalty to an employer who has only invested 2-3 hours of time into you? Do you?

This is a pretty good point. I guess I just feel bad since I told them I'd commit if offered.

Feeling bad is overrated

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Damn when did you apply and interview? I thought my final interview went really well with Tina, but I'm guessing if she hasn't contacted my references than I'm out. :( This means I will be unemployed upon graduation... fml

I had my final interview at the end of February. Learned Legal Aid Society contacted my references last week.

Return to “Legal Employment”