3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A few Bronx offers went out.

do you mean the few offers that went out this semester, or did you get one today?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone who has done the Maryland OPD final panel shed some light on what kind of questions are asked? Is there a scenario?
Also interested in this. Anyone have any insights?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Bronx Defenders reached out to at least one of my references today for anyone looking for an update.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:49 pm

I'm headed to Mecklenburg PD for an internship this upcoming summer - is anyone here a past intern and willing to share advice/feedback from their experience at this office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone who has done the Maryland OPD final panel shed some light on what kind of questions are asked? Is there a scenario?
No scenarios. Nothing you should be unprepared for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:59 am

I just received my offer from Bronx Defenders! Offer came by phone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is it more or less a retread of the first stage interview with personality/interest-based questions? Or do they delve into hypos? Any specifics would be a great help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just received my offer from Bronx Defenders! Offer came by phone.
Congrats! Did you leverage another offer with them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 pm

They wanted to know my answer quickly. They asked if I could let them know by today, but I pushed it to next Wednesday because I had Law Department final round scheduled for Tuesday. I got in touch with Legal Aid to let them know of the offer and see if they might be able to expedite the final round and offer for me (interned there last summer), but they told me it is still far too early in their process to make arrangements for any offers to be made this early.

In light of that, and the fact that I don’t really want to do prosecutorial work if I don’t have to, I cancelled my Law Department interview and accepted Bronx.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
They wanted to know my answer quickly. They asked if I could let them know by today, but I pushed it to next Wednesday because I had Law Department final round scheduled for Tuesday. I got in touch with Legal Aid to let them know of the offer and see if they might be able to expedite the final round and offer for me (interned there last summer), but they told me it is still far too early in their process to make arrangements for any offers to be made this early.

In light of that, and the fact that I don’t really want to do prosecutorial work if I don’t have to, I cancelled my Law Department interview and accepted Bronx.
Again, congrats! I meant did you tell Bronx you had other offers, or they just offered it straight out? Shame about Legal Aid though...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Again, congrats! I meant did you tell Bronx you had other offers, or they just offered it straight out? Shame about Legal Aid though...
Oops! Sorry! No, I didn't. And thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Recently accepted offer with CO! Thanks to everyone in this thread who provided info, it was super helpful. No EJW/No Internship with CO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recently accepted offer with CO! Thanks to everyone in this thread who provided info, it was super helpful. No EJW/No Internship with CO.
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing ITT. Great office, so you should be excited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm headed to Mecklenburg PD for an internship this upcoming summer - is anyone here a past intern and willing to share advice/feedback from their experience at this office?
Assuming you mean Charlotte area, my sense from people I've talked to who interned or work/ed there is that the office is hella strong, but that advancement is slow (i.e., that you could be defending misdemeanors for 3-5 years after starting). I think that could be a good sign, if it means that people just like working there a lot and don't leave. I know they don't always hire their interns because some of their recent interns went elsewhere. It's a highly respected office, though, and pretty well resourced for the region. The have a Gideon's tie and recruit from top schools. Charlotte's a great place to live, as well. It's a young professionals' city--lots of night life, lots of growth, many great neighborhoods to choose from. Expensive for the region, but still much more affordable than other big cities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Recently accepted offer with CO! Thanks to everyone in this thread who provided info, it was super helpful. No EJW/No Internship with CO.
Me too! No internship as well. I'm excited about starting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Anybody hear back from BDS for their final rounds? Or are they not at that stage yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:41 pm

Also is Philly done hiring its class?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Rejected from Maryland. First round: EJW. Second round: December. The letter said to let them know in March if I'm still interested. More offers may end up going out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rejected from Maryland. First round: EJW. Second round: December. The letter said to let them know in March if I'm still interested. More offers may end up going out.
My rejection letter did not have the let them know in March so that's something for you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is it more or less a retread of the first stage interview with personality/interest-based questions? Or do they delve into hypos? Any specifics would be a great help.
Hope your interview went well!

Does anyone know how many Maryland are looking to hire with this Spring 2018 class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hope your interview went well!

Does anyone know how many Maryland are looking to hire with this Spring 2018 class?
Same to you! I’d also like to know the answer to this. All I know is that they said they’d be interviewing people through mid February and to expect an answer around then. Which, given the late February start date, seems like a very fast turnaround.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:23 pm

Same to you! I’d also like to know the answer to this. All I know is that they said they’d be interviewing people through mid February and to expect an answer around then. Which, given the late February start date, seems like a very fast turnaround.
Oof. I hope we hear before then - that is quite a quick turnaround!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 am

Anyone here actually apply with New Mexico and gotten an offer or interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Has anyone who accepted an offer from Colorado received any further information from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who accepted an offer from Colorado received any further information from them?
Just a brief reply email to my follow-up email. What kind of information are you looking for? I don't think much more will come until late in the spring or early summer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”