3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tina herself told me I would hear back about actual EMPLOYMENT mid- December. I can PM you the e-mail from the coordinator if you want, but yeah, she told me it was the normal Jan/April hiring hulabaloo. I am VERY nervous that people are getting calls though.
Do you mean that you know for sure that people ARE receiving calls (that is, offers), or you're just worried that that MIGHT be happening?
Calls to schedule next round interviews

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Colorado offered this afternoon by email. I'm floored, this was my first choice. :D :D :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Colorado offered this afternoon by email. I'm floored, this was my first choice. :D :D :D
Also got an email offer from CO today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Colorado offered this afternoon by email. I'm floored, this was my first choice. :D :D :D
Congrats and welcome! Make sure to come to conference in the fall, even if you haven't been placed yet. It's a blast. (Current CO DPD here.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats and welcome! Make sure to come to conference in the fall, even if you haven't been placed yet. It's a blast. (Current CO DPD here.)
Does anyone know if there are more offers still to go out, or if all offers were sent out in one round?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:03 am

People who have interviewed with LAS - were your interviews in Manhattan or different boroughs? I have one coming up in the Bronx office, andI couldn't figure out if that means it's for a position in the Bronx or that's just who's available to conduct the interview that day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:People who have interviewed with LAS - were your interviews in Manhattan or different boroughs? I have one coming up in the Bronx office, andI couldn't figure out if that means it's for a position in the Bronx or that's just who's available to conduct the interview that day.
The latter. They don't hire people to specific boroughs, but rather everyone in the new class ranks their preferences and then borough assignments are made.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tina herself told me I would hear back about actual EMPLOYMENT mid- December. I can PM you the e-mail from the coordinator if you want, but yeah, she told me it was the normal Jan/April hiring hulabaloo. I am VERY nervous that people are getting calls though.
Do you mean that you know for sure that people ARE receiving calls (that is, offers), or you're just worried that that MIGHT be happening?
Calls to schedule next round interviews
yeah, I haven't heard of any offers being made, just freaking out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:57 pm

accepted new hampshire offer yesterday. I made it into the third round at brooklyn and whatever the interview after the panel is with legal aid. I was also in the reserve or whatever at NJ. I hope that this opens up a few spots for TLSers and want to thank this thread for all of the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:43 pm

In case anyone else is still waiting for Philly, I got an email today. Has anyone actually scheduled/had their interview with Philly yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In case anyone else is still waiting for Philly, I got an email today. Has anyone actually scheduled/had their interview with Philly yet?
I scheduled mine for later this month. The only thing I know at the moment is that it's expected to last like two hours or something and it involves a panel. I suspect they give you a hypo when you get there, but I don't know for sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Also got an email for an interview with Philly today. Pleasantly surprised because I figured I had been rejected after not hearing by 12/31.

I'm really interested in CO and thought I had a great interview at EJW, but I haven't heard anything since. Does anyone know if there is still any chance? Also, does anyone know if they send out rejections or does silence=rejection? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also got an email for an interview with Philly today. Pleasantly surprised because I figured I had been rejected after not hearing by 12/31.

I'm really interested in CO and thought I had a great interview at EJW, but I haven't heard anything since. Does anyone know if there is still any chance? Also, does anyone know if they send out rejections or does silence=rejection? Thanks!
My understanding is that all position offers were sent out yesterday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:08 pm

For LAS first round - by summation, do they mean giving a closing argument regarding the hypo as if it were to a judge/jury? And is it a panel? I know there's been a lot of discussion about Legal Aid interviews, but I haven't really heard details about how the interview itself is done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For LAS first round - by summation, do they mean giving a closing argument regarding the hypo as if it were to a judge/jury? And is it a panel? I know there's been a lot of discussion about Legal Aid interviews, but I haven't really heard details about how the interview itself is done.
Yes, a closing argument to a jury.
It's 2-3 people (so I guess technically a panel, although I've had much worse).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:54 pm

does anyone have any idea how many positions philly is interviewing for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:accepted new hampshire offer yesterday. I made it into the third round at brooklyn and whatever the interview after the panel is with legal aid. I was also in the reserve or whatever at NJ. I hope that this opens up a few spots for TLSers and want to thank this thread for all of the advice.
When was your panel interview? Congrats!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm feeling like a complete fuck up for not scoring a position yet with all of these offers going out…wondering what I'm doing wrong. It's hard to stay positive this year :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm feeling like a complete fuck up for not scoring a position yet with all of these offers going out…wondering what I'm doing wrong. It's hard to stay positive this year :(
It's tough.. I know a lot of people who are very competent with great credentials that don't have anything lined up yet. It's still relatively early in the process, and the number of positions available to pre-bar 3Ls is so tiny compared to the number of applicants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Offer from Hennepin.

Rejections from Contra Costa and Alameda.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer from Hennepin.

how and when did you hear back from contra costa?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Offer from Hennepin.

how and when did you hear back from contra costa?
Notified Robin about other offer and she told me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:accepted new hampshire offer yesterday. I made it into the third round at brooklyn and whatever the interview after the panel is with legal aid. I was also in the reserve or whatever at NJ. I hope that this opens up a few spots for TLSers and want to thank this thread for all of the advice.
When was your panel interview? Congrats!
thanks, panel interview was mid december and got offer shortly after. They gave me a good amount of time to decide.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:37 am

How did you hear abt alameda?

berlynn619

New

Post by berlynn619 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:23 am

To anyone waiting to hear from Philly -- I just received the email about an interview yesterday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”