3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:28 am

Does anybody know if LAS is still offering final round interviews? What about BDS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know if LAS is still offering final round interviews? What about BDS?
Neither is done with panel interviews, so presumably yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know if LAS is still offering final round interviews? What about BDS?
Thanks. Crazy that LAS is still doing panels -- mine was in September.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Of course it was (not directed at you, of course). Mine is in January.

Sigh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Of course it was (not directed at you, of course). Mine is in January.

Sigh.
Reading through previous years threads it looks like LAS takes forever. Ugh.

Hopefully there's still a shot for final round interviews, even though I know they've already invited some people in for final rounds. The fact that they're still doing panels must mean something right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:01 am

got an offer from Orlando pd!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Anyone know if prettyman made offers yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:33 am

Any movement from Center for Appellate Litigation or Office of the Appellate Defender in NYC? Have they started interviewing at all?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if prettyman made offers yet?
Yes. My friend got an offer before Christmas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:09 am

CAL has made one offer that I know of (an expedite). OAD hasn't contacted people for interviews yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:CAL has made one offer that I know of (an expedite). OAD hasn't contacted people for interviews yet.
Any idea whether CAL is still offering interviews?

BostonCeltics

New

Post by BostonCeltics » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Any updates/movement for anybody? This waiting game is awful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:28 pm

anyone know what the deal is with Cook County in Chicago? are they hiring?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know of any NJ offers going out yet?

We are in the same boat. I am anxiously awaiting ANY news. Does anyone even know how the process for NJ OPD works?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:

We are in the same boat. I am anxiously awaiting ANY news. Does anyone even know how the process for NJ OPD works?

they did around 15 panels in november and december, and i believe committed to around 3-5 of those people (if you agreed to participate in one of the panels, you had to agree to commit to NJ if you got an offer instead of shopping the offer around for something else you wanted). the others were pushed over to this semester to be considered, or were possibly rejected. i believe they'll conduct some more panels this semester and also consider those who were interviewed in the first batch. they'll determine how many they can hire when they get their funding info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Can any former New Orleans PD interns (or anyone with information) shed some light on what it's like working there as a staff attorney? Is it as soul-crushing as it's made out to be?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know what the deal is with Cook County in Chicago? are they hiring?
The CCPD hires already licensed attorneys around May. They will make an announcement they are accepting applications and resumes. 3Ls need not apply.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:21 pm

any thoughts about emailing contacts at pd offices for a status update on application, even if i don't have any other time-sensitive offers to use as leverage? this waiting game is just awful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

My friend got an offer in early December if that helps. Haven t spoken to her since, but I know she was weighing her options and might not have accepted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any thoughts about emailing contacts at pd offices for a status update on application, even if i don't have any other time-sensitive offers to use as leverage? this waiting game is just awful.
I'm wondering about this too. Does anybody think this is a good or bad idea?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:41 pm

I had a final round LAS interview with Tina Luongo. I didn't ask when we would hear back. Does anybody know when we'll know about LAS hiring? Seems like all the other offices are already in the process or finished hiring!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a final round LAS interview with Tina Luongo. I didn't ask when we would hear back. Does anybody know when we'll know about LAS hiring? Seems like all the other offices are already in the process or finished hiring!
I had my final round with Tina earlier this month, and she told me that the LAS budget would be finalized sometime in late April/early May, and that they would be making hiring decisions at that point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a final round LAS interview with Tina Luongo. I didn't ask when we would hear back. Does anybody know when we'll know about LAS hiring? Seems like all the other offices are already in the process or finished hiring!
I had my final round with Tina earlier this month, and she told me that the LAS budget would be finalized sometime in late April/early May, and that they would be making hiring decisions at that point.
What! That's depressingly late. I don't even live in NY so I'd like to know whether to take the NY bar...

Is it safe to assume a final round is an offer? Should I just commit to the NY bar, or take 2 exams?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What! That's depressingly late. I don't even live in NY so I'd like to know whether to take the NY bar...

Is it safe to assume a final round is an offer? Should I just commit to the NY bar, or take 2 exams?

It is NOT safe to assume a final round is an offer. And EXPECT to hear from LAS even after the deadlines to sign up for the BAR EXAMS have passed. I was offered a spot early June last year - way after the NY Bar deadline. So I had to decline the offer because I ended up signing up for the bar for another jurisdiction. So if you really want to stay in NY, you should just sign up for the test. And hope for the best. haha. kidding. But not really. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It is NOT safe to assume a final round is an offer. And EXPECT to hear from LAS even after the deadlines to sign up for the BAR EXAMS have passed. I was offered a spot early June last year - way after the NY Bar deadline. So I had to decline the offer because I ended up signing up for the bar for another jurisdiction. So if you really want to stay in NY, you should just sign up for the test. And hope for the best. haha. kidding. But not really. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. I can't believe that, an offer all the way in June! If I may ask, when you apply/interview?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”