3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how many total rounds Philly has?
3..they are doing second rounds now, then third rounds will be mid to late February..with offers in March..I asked in my second round

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:59 am

Can anyone tell me about interviewing with cpcs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:45 pm

has anybody received a denial from Prettyman yet? I know they made offers, but I still haven't received my ding yet. Anybody know if the people offered accepted?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Anyone know if Brooklyn has extended final round offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the OPD final round was anyone else asked questions during the bail hearing? My friend and I both interviewed and she was not asked any questions, but I was. I'm sure it means nothing, but I'm just curious.
Was not asked any questions.

Does anyone know about the timeline?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For the OPD final round was anyone else asked questions during the bail hearing? My friend and I both interviewed and she was not asked any questions, but I was. I'm sure it means nothing, but I'm just curious.
Was not asked any questions.

Does anyone know about the timeline?
The email on the 30th said the third week of January..right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Had my LAS panel interview in early December. Radio silence since. Have rejection letters gone out? Final interviews scheduled? Or is everyone in my bost?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anybody received a denial from Prettyman yet? I know they made offers, but I still haven't received my ding yet. Anybody know if the people offered accepted?
Same (have not received a denial yet). Put me out of my misery!!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had my LAS panel interview in early December. Radio silence since. Have rejection letters gone out? Final interviews scheduled? Or is everyone in my bost?
LAS takes a while, my friend who works there now didn't get his offer until April I believe, long after other offices finished hiring.

This is from their website.

Approximately ten offers for entry level Criminal Defense positions in the Fall 2015 Class will be made at the beginning of January 2015. The remaining offers for the Fall 2015 Class will made in April 2015 after the New York State budget has been adopted. Applications must be submitted to attorneyjobscriminal@legal-aid.org.

------------

So if you weren't one of the 10, then there's a long wait til April...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDwannabe2015

New

Post by PDwannabe2015 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had my LAS panel interview in early December. Radio silence since. Have rejection letters gone out? Final interviews scheduled? Or is everyone in my bost?
LAS takes a while, my friend who works there now didn't get his offer until April I believe, long after other offices finished hiring.

This is from their website.

Approximately ten offers for entry level Criminal Defense positions in the Fall 2015 Class will be made at the beginning of January 2015. The remaining offers for the Fall 2015 Class will made in April 2015 after the New York State budget has been adopted. Applications must be submitted to attorneyjobscriminal@legal-aid.org.

------------

So if you weren't one of the 10, then there's a long wait til April...

I was told LAS will not know it's numbers until late Jan/early Feb. They are only extending offers ATM to people they really really want who have other offers that are expiring. People have been offered final rounds and gone on them (but I think those are only people they are considering for the first round of hiring).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:11 pm

If LAS is only hiring 10 in January, I wonder how many spots they've given out so far... Only one confirmed spot has been taken on here?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:28 pm

Does anyone know what the current starting salary for legal aid society (or even public defenders since it's a similar job) is in Manhattan? The job listings don't have salary posted and I have an interview coming up and I'd feel weird asking during it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what the current starting salary for legal aid society (or even public defenders since it's a similar job) is in Manhattan? The job listings don't have salary posted and I have an interview coming up and I'd feel weird asking during it.
What are you asking?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what the current starting salary for legal aid society (or even public defenders since it's a similar job) is in Manhattan? The job listings don't have salary posted and I have an interview coming up and I'd feel weird asking during it.
What are you asking?
Sorry. To be clearer, I'm asking what the base/starting salary for a legal aid staff attorney in Manhattan is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What are you asking?
Sorry. To be clearer, I'm asking what the base/starting salary for a legal aid staff attorney in Manhattan is.
Starts at 52k upon passing bar iirc

PDwannabe2015

New

Post by PDwannabe2015 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What are you asking?
Starts at 52k upon passing bar iirc
https://alaa2325.files.wordpress.com/20 ... ntract.pdf

This is the most recent collective bargaining agreement I could find. It is 50k law grad, 55k postbar

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks. I had my fingers crossed it was closer to what's seen on here and other sites:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Legal-A ... O18,32.htm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:32 pm

Let's be real, you probably should not do public defender work for the salary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:39 pm

If we were to talk about a public defender office that pays relatively well, what do people think about San Diego Federal Defenders? Does it make sense to go there even if one doesn't want to practice in federal court? I have heard they offer great training, but I wonder how much of that training would translate into state court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Legal aid decisions out

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If we were to talk about a public defender office that pays relatively well, what do people think about San Diego Federal Defenders? Does it make sense to go there even if one doesn't want to practice in federal court? I have heard they offer great training, but I wonder how much of that training would translate into state court.
It's almost impossible to get hired there without having stuff on your background demonstrating a desire to work with immigration clients.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If we were to talk about a public defender office that pays relatively well, what do people think about San Diego Federal Defenders? Does it make sense to go there even if one doesn't want to practice in federal court? I have heard they offer great training, but I wonder how much of that training would translate into state court.
Why wouldn't you want to practice in federal court?

Federal jury trial experience will never hurt you. Federal cases are generally much more complex than state cases, and the quality of the advocacy and judges are like 90 million times better than you typically find in state/local courts (not to say that there aren't some really great state court judges and attorneys; it's just less common). If you can get experience as a federal public defender, I think it can only help you even if you later decide you want to work in state court. Only real adjustment you might wind up making is that you can be a lot sloppier, do a lot less writing, and get away with doing a lot lower quality work. Although, realistically, you'd have to be mentally ill to leave a federal defender's office for a local PD's office (in most cases), since you're basically going to be making between 1/2 to 1/3 of the salary you're going to have a FPD with 5 years of experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Legal Aid decisions are out?? What do you mean by that? Denials/offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Ding from LAS :(. Wishing better luck to everyone else!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding from LAS :(. Wishing better luck to everyone else!
How are notifications coming out?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”