3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:11 pm

Pncakez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when san diego fed defender is going to make offers?
Did you have the second round interview? Did anyone? Did anyone get a rejection letter?
i have an interview coming up so i am just curious about their timeline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I tried searching for info on here, but anyone have any insight on Wisconsin PD or Missouri?
I work for the Wisconsin SPD, what do you wanna know?
Was just curious about the application process -- if you applied through the government website, how long it took to get back to you, what it's like working there?
Yeah, you should apply through the state jobs website. If you follow the agency on facebook or twitter, you will see the recruiting announcements there too. They do their hiring year-round as openings become available. Don't expect to work in Madison or Milwaukee right away, since that's where everyone wants to be. I don't remember how long it took for them to get back to me after I applied, but I don't think it was too long, maybe a couple weeks?

There are two interviews. The first is with a panel of three attorneys. You will be asked to prepare a five minute story (about anything you want) which you will present at the beginning of the interview from memory. This is to gauge your ability to present in front of a jury, since our training process revolves around developing a compelling theory of the case and being able to enthusiastically present it to other people. Then you will do a bunch of short hypos for about 20 minutes. They are pretty easy, just give the "I support my client no matter how bad he is" answer to everything and you will be fine. The second interview took place at the office that eventually hired me. It was with my future boss plus the regional office manager. Basically they gave me a tour and asked if I had any questions about the office. So, I would say that if you make it to the second round and they invite you to one of the offices, you'll get hired.

I definitely enjoy working here. You get paid pretty well for a public defender in the midwest (I'm just shy of my two year mark and I make 53k/year). Your caseload is manageable (on average I have about 200 misdemeanors, 75 felonies, 30 involuntary civil commitments and 20 juvenile delinquency cases a year, which isn't bad at all). The resources and support are also pretty strong since it's a state agency that is somewhat well respected in the state legislature. That said, every office around the state is different. I work in a pretty chill office of eight attorneys, six of which are under 30, and my boss is amazing, so it's a fun atmosphere. I can't say the same about the rest, but most of my friends from law school who ended up in other offices seem to enjoy their work too.
This is great information thank you! I applied a few weeks ago on the state website, so hopefully I'll hear something one way or the other!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:08 pm

For LAS are they still giving out Tina invites..I haven't received one yet but I also haven't gotten a reject

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:41 pm

anyone heard if philly has made offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone heard if philly has made offers?
none of my friends who had last round interviews have heard yet

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:19 am

Does anyone know what class size Philly is aiming for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:28 pm

Any idea if san diego fed defender has already made all the call back offers?

Scruffy_the_Janitor

New

Post by Scruffy_the_Janitor » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:51 pm

Anyone else hear back from Palm Beach?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:11 pm

Scruffy_the_Janitor wrote:Anyone else hear back from Palm Beach?
You got an offer from them? If so, when did you interview? When did you hear?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Scruffy_the_Janitor

New

Post by Scruffy_the_Janitor » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Offers came out around the 18th. I interviewed late December. If anyone else did, I'd love to get a group together to go over stuff like apartment searching.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:19 pm

Scruffy_the_Janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Offers came out around the 18th. I interviewed late December. If anyone else did, I'd love to get a group together to go over stuff like apartment searching.
Do you know if they made all of their offers?

Scruffy_the_Janitor

New

Post by Scruffy_the_Janitor » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Scruffy_the_Janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you know if they made all of their offers?
I don't know if they did. However, they did want people to respond within a week or so. So if some people didn't accept, then I have to believe they'll send out more offers later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:36 am

Has anyone interviewed with Legal Aid Society Parole Revocation Unit?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:53 pm

Has anyone heard about offers/rejections from CPCS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard about offers/rejections from CPCS?
I believe there is some movement that is going on, I have a friend who didn't even get an interview.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:41 pm

How do C&F holdups affect PD job offers? I know that PD/DA want people they hired to be in the courtroom ASAP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:11 pm

Because I know people were curious, I got a New Hampshire rejection (by MAIL, WHY) at the end of last week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Because I know people were curious, I got a New Hampshire rejection (by MAIL, WHY) at the end of last week.
Ditto with Maryland. WHY MAIL.

I have a suspicion that Palm Beach is also sending rejections by mail given that offers were made on February 18th and people haven't heard from them since. Anyone have any info on this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:43 pm

Any word on non-Gideon Mecklenberg offers?

Anyone else hopping on the Kentucky train as their last shot at a late pre-bar pd offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on non-Gideon Mecklenberg offers?

Anyone else hopping on the Kentucky train as their last shot at a late pre-bar pd offer?
I heard nothing about Mecklenburg..and since the bar deadline has passed I'm just assuming it was a reject.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:35 pm

I have a friend who was an intern at Mecklenburg and I was there when she called Kevin Tully. He said he is only hiring two people, I believe both former interns. This is because he still has THREE people that he hired last year that still are not working (no open spots). Open spots are going to those three first since they've literally been waiting for a paid job for a year. He's known this for months, just didn't think we needed to know apparently.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a friend who was an intern at Mecklenburg and I was there when she called Kevin Tully. He said he is only hiring two people, I believe both former interns. This is because he still has THREE people that he hired last year that still are not working (no open spots). Open spots are going to those three first since they've literally been waiting for a paid job for a year. He's known this for months, just didn't think we needed to know apparently.
Wow..if you still have unplaced people from this year why did he even interview 3Ls at ejw

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a friend who was an intern at Mecklenburg and I was there when she called Kevin Tully. He said he is only hiring two people, I believe both former interns. This is because he still has THREE people that he hired last year that still are not working (no open spots). Open spots are going to those three first since they've literally been waiting for a paid job for a year. He's known this for months, just didn't think we needed to know apparently.
Wow..if you still have unplaced people from this year why did he even interview 3Ls at ejw
That was my exact reaction. I don't know why he did it, but I can say it was very disappointing for previous interns even more than outside applicants like myself. This as especially true considering he has strung them along since August and she had to call just before the LATE deadline for the NC bar app. to find out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Because I know people were curious, I got a New Hampshire rejection (by MAIL, WHY) at the end of last week.
Ditto with Maryland. WHY MAIL.

I have a suspicion that Palm Beach is also sending rejections by mail given that offers were made on February 18th and people haven't heard from them since. Anyone have any info on this?
I hope that is not true, although I'm not waiting for Palm Beach. I am, however, waiting for another public defender's office (an office that I really want to work in), and they have sent out both offers and rejections a few weeks ago. I hope they're still making offers.

rebka402

New

Post by rebka402 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:06 pm

Has still no one heard from LAS? When I did my interview with Tina in January, she said they're hoping to make offers in late February/early March. I'M SO IMPATIENT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”