3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:05 pm

I got an offer over the telephone at the end of June from NYC Legal Aid, but I have not received a paper offer/package yet. For those who have received the mailed offer, when was the date of your final interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:10 pm

I too was given an offer via phone in June and was told that the official offers would be sent via email in July. I recently heard that they are still sending the official offer emails on a rolling basis, just like the initial phone offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Legal Aid recently?
I got an offer shortly after graduation, but I had another offer so they sped it up for me. I had two rounds of interviews - the first was a panel interview, the second was a one-on-one interview.

Has anyone heard what borough they are assigned to yet?
Speaking of boroughs, does anyone know the sizes of the different offices? Or details about if New Yorkers get assigned to specific offices and the transplants are sent to Staten Island, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:30 am

Any updates on borough placements?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates on borough placements?
I still haven't heard anything - I'm going to contact Legal Aid Society sometime soon to get an update. I'll let you know what I hear.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Anybody looking for housing yet, or is everyone going to wait to hear more on the boroughs?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:06 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:43 pm

To whom do we address NYC Legal Aid cover letters to? Can't find the info on the website and they haven't contacted me back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody looking for housing yet, or is everyone going to wait to hear more on the boroughs?
Still waiting on borough placement from Legal Aid Society. According to the website though, training is 5-6 weeks, and offer letter says training is in Manhattan (Water Street office, IIRC).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

purr se

New

Post by purr se » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To whom do we address NYC Legal Aid cover letters to? Can't find the info on the website and they haven't contacted me back.
Interested in this as well.

Rocío

Bronze

Post by Rocío » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:06 pm

purr se wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To whom do we address NYC Legal Aid cover letters to? Can't find the info on the website and they haven't contacted me back.
Interested in this as well.
My cover letter, dated November 23, 2011, is addressed to: Marie Richardson, Esq.

She was the contact listed on their website at the time. Not sure if it's the still the same person, but I know she also was the person who interviewed 2Ls looking for internships at Legal Aid Society.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:34 am

To anyone waiting on borough placement at Legal Aid Society - decisions will not be made until September 27, 2012.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Any word on borough assignments yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on borough assignments yet?
LAS told me we'd hear this week, but it seems like they just keep delaying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Reviving this thread for the class of 2013.

So far, offers have gone out from the following offices:
- Bronx
- Colorado
- New Jersey
- Miami
- PDS (D.C.)
- Philly
- Prettyman Fellowship (Georgetown)

Things seem to be silent for the following:
- Brooklyn
- CPCS (Mass.)
- Legal Aid (NYC)
- Mecklenberg
- San Diego federal (sent out letters saying they're unclear if they'll have budget to hire)
- West Palm Beach

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:52 am

above poster: you're sure that Colorado has made offers? I know a LOT of people who interviewed and no one has heard anything.

purr se

New

Post by purr se » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:above poster: you're sure that Colorado has made offers? I know a LOT of people who interviewed and no one has heard anything.
I'm not the anon, but Colorado's offered, to my knowledge, one December grad (so that he'd have time to submit an app to sit for the Feb bar).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

melgado

New

Post by melgado » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 pm

CPCS is still doing interviews as of right now. I have one next week. Will update people if they send offers or rejections out.

Also, Miami is still doing interviews because they took applications for interviews at the Midwest Career Fair.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Colorado has offers out now for May grads as well.

Curiosity13

New

Post by Curiosity13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:32 pm

My cycle was pretty interesting to say the least. The jobs I thought I had a shot at I got rejected from. My top two choices (the two I thought I had the least shot of getting), I got offers from. My full list is below. I just accepted the PDS DC offer a couple of days ago.

Offers:
PDS DC (Accepted the offer)
Prettyman (Georgetown)

Rejections:
Bronx Defenders
Legal Aid Society NY
Brooklyn Defenders
Miami Defenders

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Does anything have an update about Legal Aid Society applications? I had a first round interview mid-December. Just waiting now...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Had my first-round Legal Aid around when you did. We should find out if we made it to Round 2 at the end of the month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anything have an update about Legal Aid Society applications? I had a first round interview mid-December. Just waiting now...
I know a couple people who have their second-round interviews with Legal Aid Society next week. LAS usually schedules second and third interviews in waves, though, so this doesn't mean you are out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:33 pm

So there's an offer that I have available to me, but they want a response by the 26th of January. However, I haven't heard back from a bunch of other offices yet and don't necessarily expect to within that timeframe (and I just had a panel interview with another office today, and another interview set-up for next week somewhere else).

I'm not really sure how to go about this; should I ask for some more time to respond because I have a ton of applications pending? It's obviously nice to have something, but I don't want to limit myself quite yet, and it's not my top-option at the moment (although I think I would ultimately like it/be happy there). I heard it's good to be transparent with the other offices about receiving an offer for employment and the timeline I'm dealing with, but it's also hard not to feel like a prick when you tell an office "I got an offer already on the table.."

Any suggestions on dealing with this sort of situation? Or how terrible would it be to accept an offer, and then pull out if I end up locking down my top-choice position? Thanks in advance for any response. This is stressful.

Rocío

Bronze

Post by Rocío » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So there's an offer that I have available to me, but they want a response by the 26th of January. However, I haven't heard back from a bunch of other offices yet and don't necessarily expect to within that timeframe (and I just had a panel interview with another office today, and another interview set-up for next week somewhere else).

I'm not really sure how to go about this; should I ask for some more time to respond because I have a ton of applications pending? It's obviously nice to have something, but I don't want to limit myself quite yet, and it's not my top-option at the moment (although I think I would ultimately like it/be happy there). I heard it's good to be transparent with the other offices about receiving an offer for employment and the timeline I'm dealing with, but it's also hard not to feel like a prick when you tell an office "I got an offer already on the table.."

Any suggestions on dealing with this sort of situation? Or how terrible would it be to accept an offer, and then pull out if I end up locking down my top-choice position? Thanks in advance for any response. This is stressful.
Don't accept an offer and then pull out if you get a better offer - that is a sure fire way to burn bridges, and you might end up getting your other offer rescinded so that you end up with nothing. Tell your preferred offices that you have an offer and a firm deadline. You can try to negotiate for more time on your offer, too. In this economy, I think it is very risky to turn down an offer because you are still waiting to hear back from other offices, especially if you still have one (or more) rounds of callback interviews to go on before you'd even get to the offer stage with those other offices. I had an offer from my second choice office last year, and a callback interview scheduled the next day with my first choice. So I told my first choice office about the offer deadline, and ended up getting an offer from my first choice quickly (in fact, the very next day).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”