3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2017 3L checking in.

Screener interviews with BxD, PDS, NHPD, so far. Still waiting to hear back about 2nd rounds. Also had an interview with an upstart holistic PD office in the south. They made an offer that's nearly impossible to turn down (they will straight up pay my student loan payments, and not just IBR payments, but the full 10 year big-ass payments). Will probably accept it this week. May hold on for PDS, but I think locking down a job before September would be clutch, and I loved the office when I visited
Have you been applying directly or through OCI or what? I'm clerking this year so so far I've only applied through EJW.. Should I be directly applying also?

ThisMan

New

Post by ThisMan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:59 pm

Holy snaps! Does that holistic office need any more PD's because I'd be happy to jump in. But if you're waiting on PDS just be aware that they have 4 rounds. Just saying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Screener interviews with BxD, PDS, NHPD, so far. Still waiting to hear back about 2nd rounds. Also had an interview with an upstart holistic PD office in the south. They made an offer that's nearly impossible to turn down (they will straight up pay my student loan payments, and not just IBR payments, but the full 10 year big-ass payments). Will probably accept it this week. May hold on for PDS, but I think locking down a job before September would be clutch, and I loved the office when I visited
Have you been applying directly or through OCI or what? I'm clerking this year so so far I've only applied through EJW.. Should I be directly applying also?
PDS and this other southern PD were through OCI. BxD gave me an interview at the end of my summer internship. I applied to NHPD directly. Actually just heard back from them today, they want me out there in early October for a 2nd round panel interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:26 pm

ThisMan wrote:Holy snaps! Does that holistic office need any more PD's because I'd be happy to jump in. But if you're waiting on PDS just be aware that they have 4 rounds. Just saying.
Yeah, PDS is a pipe dream for most of us unfortunately.

The office I'm considering is going to be at EJW iirc. I don't want to name them until I've made a decision though (and until my other classmate responds to his offer from them).

EDIT: Accepted the offer, so did my buddy. The office is Texas RioGrande Legal Aid (TRLA). Not sure if they'll be trying to hire more PDs for '17's class or not, but very possible. I believe they're on the list for EJW. Seriously so f'ing excited! Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:05 pm

screener next wk with Miami - any insight out there? wasn't expecting an interview tbh, i hear they're tough?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:30 pm

I have a preliminary interview with FDSD coming up, has anyone here been through the process? What should I expect? What is the salary? Any help is appreciated as I am very nervous lol.

whiskeyzulu

New

Post by whiskeyzulu » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:screener next wk with Miami - any insight out there? wasn't expecting an interview tbh, i hear they're tough?

They just basically grill you for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half on substantive law. They give you hypos, make you perform closings, crosses, and openings, all the while implying that you totally shit the bed on all your answers. It's actually kind of fun.

anagram

New

Post by anagram » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:44 pm

Wow had no idea that offices were doing interviews already. Do you guys think there's a big downside to applying through EJW? Was thinking that it sounds like a lot of the openings may be gone by then since it's so late in the cycle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:45 pm

Bump. Got destroyed in Miami screener today. It wasn't a difficult hypo but just got incredibly flustered and couldn't think straight. Also have been working 80 hours works at my clerkship so did not even remotely prepare. Anyways point of my post - PM me if anyone has a screener and wants to know what they asked. I am surely not advancing, so hopefully I can least help one of you out

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:36 pm

^ Had a similar experience during a Miami screener (well sort of a screener). I stopped by their booth at EJW to talk to one of the attorneys, and they basically had me launch right into an opening statement in front of 2 other attorneys. Did not go so well. :oops:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:37 pm

^ Had a similar experience during a Miami screener (well sort of a screener). I stopped by their booth at EJW to talk to one of the attorneys, and they basically had me launch right into an opening statement in front of 2 other attorneys. Did not go so well. :oops:

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:31 pm

Welcome to TLS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Hey there, beautiful people!

Recent graduate here. I applied for 2017 fall cohort at Legal Aid in June when the application period first opened. Haven't heard back.

Any other recent grads who have applied for Fall 2017 heard back yet?

THANKS!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:

which office is this and why are they wasting money like this?

saw your new post. never heard of them before
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fratstar1

Bronze

Post by fratstar1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:52 pm

New hampshire screener Friday, any tips?

endlessduvet

New

Post by endlessduvet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Anyone know when we're likely to hear back from PDS for those of us who submitted directly last Friday (rather than through EJW).

dc123

New

Post by dc123 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Any tips for PDS DC screening interview?
Last edited by dc123 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dc123

New

Post by dc123 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:51 pm

endlessduvet wrote:Anyone know when we're likely to hear back from PDS for those of us who submitted directly last Friday (rather than through EJW).

Have a screening interview for next Tuesday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone is interested in being a public defender in an urban area, you should contact the Milwaukee Trial office of the Wisconsin State Public Defender. We are down at least 10 attorneys due to unusually high turnover recently and are apparently having trouble finding qualified applicants (the agency is pretty bad at recruiting outside the State, and as far as I know doesn't actively recruit non UW or Marquette students). If you have trial experience from an internship or already practice criminal defense, consider sending a resume and cover letter or calling.
Bumping this

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:48 am

fratstar1 wrote:New hampshire screener Friday, any tips?
when I had one (over 3 years ago)

it was 1. why do you want to be a PD 2. mock impeachment in cross examination

for mock impeachment it is fairly formulaic

1. confirm witness makes incorrect (and unfavorable) statement (so it is your testimony today that X Y Z)
2. credit prior statement (you spoke to a police officer on this case, you knew they were investigating this case, you were honest and open with them, because you wanted them to find the right person, and at that time your memory of the events was pretty fresh.... can be more complex depending on fact pattern but that is the gist of it)
3. confirm incorrect/unfavorable statement again
4. confront the witness with the prior statement

all PD screeners include at least some of the following

A) why do you want to be a PD?
B) how ready are you to try cases?
C) problem set (can be a mock opening, analyzing fact pattern for legal issues, mock impeachment, mock closing argument etc)
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

endlessduvet

New

Post by endlessduvet » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:16 pm

Anyone who had a PDS screener already have tips? Is it substantive?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone is interested in being a public defender in an urban area, you should contact the Milwaukee Trial office of the Wisconsin State Public Defender. We are down at least 10 attorneys due to unusually high turnover recently and are apparently having trouble finding qualified applicants (the agency is pretty bad at recruiting outside the State, and as far as I know doesn't actively recruit non UW or Marquette students). If you have trial experience from an internship or already practice criminal defense, consider sending a resume and cover letter or calling.
WI doesn't have a limited license for attorneys barred in other states, does it? At least the Feb 2017 application deadline hasn't passed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:36 pm

Anyone have tips on Alameda County PD post-bar screener?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have tips on Alameda County PD post-bar screener?
it's no different than any other PD office except that

several different regional offices in Alameda and they prefer that you are familiar with the differences. For example Oakland and Berkeley are way different

they are now a completely vertical representation office but they used to have some horizontal representation, so talk about how that is cool (even though there are real pros and cons with each)
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:30 pm

Thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”