3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Tanicius

Gold

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Tanicius » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:31 pm

fratstar1 wrote:That whole bit about Nassau County really irks me. Whats the point of having an organization that cuts you off after 3 years of doing Misdemeanors??
Yeah, I'm assuming the guy who explained all of that is the same guy who posted the anon post on this page about wanting to leave a PD county before their promised three years are up. Way I see it, you'd be crazy to stick around at that county for the full three years if you get an offer somewhere else. That's a horribly lop-sided and unfair employment situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maryland interviewees unite!

I'm almost tempted to shoot them an email.... This is more agonizing that studying for the bar.

Thank you for responding! I'm sorry for everyone's pain but am glad to know I'm not the only one thinking "Wtf??" over here. Good luck all!
Fourth (?) MD waiter here. Are you all waiting to hear back from initial interviews, or panel interviews?
I'm waiting to hear back after panel. Any news, anybody?
Ditto on panel. Still no news here, and thinking it's officially time to send the annoying email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:23 pm

Do it! We got your back!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - I applied for the fall 2016 class (I'm a 3L), had a panel interview with them back in November. I emailed Johanna at the end of December when I accepted another offer - she said they were basically at the end of interviews and would not be extending any more offers.
Might be different for non-3L folks.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm almost tempted to shoot them an email.... This is more agonizing that studying for the bar.

Thank you for responding! I'm sorry for everyone's pain but am glad to know I'm not the only one thinking "Wtf??" over here. Good luck all!
Fourth (?) MD waiter here. Are you all waiting to hear back from initial interviews, or panel interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - I applied for the fall 2016 class (I'm a 3L), had a panel interview with them back in November. I emailed Johanna at the end of December when I accepted another offer - she said they were basically at the end of interviews and would not be extending any more offers.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's so strange. I know for a fact they held 3 days of interviews in January for the Fall class. Thought for sure that means they must be hiring at least a few more. I am a recent grad, though, so not sure if that had anything to do with it like you said. Who knows!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - I applied for the fall 2016 class (I'm a 3L), had a panel interview with them back in November. I emailed Johanna at the end of December when I accepted another offer - she said they were basically at the end of interviews and would not be extending any more offers.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's so strange. I know for a fact they held 3 days of interviews in January for the Fall class. Thought for sure that means they must be hiring at least a few more. I am a recent grad, though, so not sure if that had anything to do with it like you said. Who knows!

Well, I sent my email anyway. I should have started the email with "My online,anonymous friends and I..." You guys have made this process so much more bearable.

Annnnnd, what's the rationale for having different deadlines for graduates versus 3Ls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well, I sent my email anyway. I should have started the email with "My online,anonymous friends and I..." You guys have made this process so much more bearable.

Annnnnd, what's the rationale for having different deadlines for graduates versus 3Ls?
Ha, just sent my email too. Thought about making the subject line "put me out of my misery, please"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ha, just sent my email too. Thought about making the subject line "put me out of my misery, please"
Anyone hear back from their emails?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not to me? (What about you, "Put Me Out Of My Misery?") If she gets back to me, I'll update.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not to me? (What about you, "Put Me Out Of My Misery?") If she gets back to me, I'll update.
Same here, still miserable! I'll let you know if I hear anything. Officially losing hope at 5pm!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi!

I posted sometime last week re Brooklyn Defender Services. Just had an initial interview with them last week, I'm a recent grad.

Any other recent grads going through the process this year? If so, do you know when we should expect either a rejection in the mail or a phone call for next round? By when does BDS usually conclude their hiring process?

Thank YOU!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:50 pm

has anyone heard any updates from Palm Beach or know if offers are going out yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:58 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the NJOPD hiring process? Does everything go through Trenton?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:20 pm

No movement at all? :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No movement at all? :shock:
I think philly is done with its hiring

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Where are you getting that info? I had a final round interview last week and was told they were still making selections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard any updates from Palm Beach or know if offers are going out yet?
Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard any updates from Palm Beach or know if offers are going out yet?
I interviewed in December and received an offer in early January. I recently withdrew because of another offer but I enjoyed my visit and interview. I think I was one of the earlier ones but not positive. Good luck

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Where are you getting that info? I had a final round interview last week and was told they were still making selections.
Friend that works there said they hired a couple recent grads for a spring class and thought they had sent out offers for fall class

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Friend that works there said they hired a couple recent grads for a spring class and thought they had sent out offers for fall class

Philly is still doing panel interviews also.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:36 pm

I have my LAS Tina interview next week. Any tips from those who have already done it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have my LAS Tina interview next week. Any tips from those who have already done it?
It's super quick and easy. 100% informal, just getting to know each other type convo.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:10 am

fratstar1 wrote:That whole bit about Nassau County really irks me. Whats the point of having an organization that cuts you off after 3 years of doing Misdemeanors??
THREE YEARS of juggling 200+ cases at once? That sounds God-awful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:51 pm

To all those still waiting on LAS...from the 100 or so people interviewed in the third round by Tina, how many are we thinking will still be around come April/May offer time? Trying to figure out a rough idea of what our shots are and hence how aggressively I need to apply for other options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To all those still waiting on LAS...from the 100 or so people interviewed in the third round by Tina, how many are we thinking will still be around come April/May offer time? Trying to figure out a rough idea of what our shots are and hence how aggressively I need to apply for other options.
Yikes. Was it really that many people that made it to the Tina round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To all those still waiting on LAS...from the 100 or so people interviewed in the third round by Tina, how many are we thinking will still be around come April/May offer time? Trying to figure out a rough idea of what our shots are and hence how aggressively I need to apply for other options.
Yikes. Was it really that many people that made it to the Tina round?
I believe she said 75-100, though I also thought I saw something on here about 125? Figured I'd split the difference. Think it's at least 75.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”