3L Public Defender Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if LAS is still offering final round interviews?
I believe they are. I just received my final round interview notification yesterday around 4 in the afternoon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if LAS is still offering final round interviews?
I believe they are. I just received my final round interview notification yesterday around 4 in the afternoon.


How many interviews are there with LAS? I did OCI and then I did 1 interview at their city office. Does it depend on the practice? (criminal v. Juvenile)

mojojojo
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:01 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby mojojojo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Anyone heard back yet on interviews with Santa Clara?

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:08 pm

BxD offers - have any of you received info from HR yet? I thought they said January but so far nothing. Mild anxiety

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if LAS is still offering final round interviews?
I believe they are. I just received my final round interview notification yesterday around 4 in the afternoon.


Any idea how many people Tina sees for the final round?

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:57 am

Anyone called for 2nd round interview for Legal Aid Society? Had first interview in December. Haven't heard a peep back. Was handed a notice after first interview that we were still in the running unless told otherwise. But I also heard ppl saying in the past they didn't get it and were not notified.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BxD offers - have any of you received info from HR yet? I thought they said January but so far nothing. Mild anxiety


Still waiting myself. From my understanding we get some shirts and some readings about The Bronx and thats it. I don't think there's any reason to worry. I am sure they are just working out the numbers still.

They have not even told the office who is hired yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Any movement,anywhere, at all? :roll:

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:27 am

I got a notification about a second round interview in late Feb, and had my first interview in Nov. They sent out a wave of rejections after the first rounds, so I think they mean it when they say "no news is good news."

AND

Does anyone know how many people they are hiring this cycle and how many people made it to the Tina round?

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone called for 2nd round interview for Legal Aid Society? Had first interview in December. Haven't heard a peep back. Was handed a notice after first interview that we were still in the running unless told otherwise. But I also heard ppl saying in the past they didn't get it and were not notified.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:44 pm

Last I heard 30 or so.

Anonymous User wrote:I got a notification about a second round interview in late Feb, and had my first interview in Nov. They sent out a wave of rejections after the first rounds, so I think they mean it when they say "no news is good news."

AND

Does anyone know how many people they are hiring this cycle and how many people made it to the Tina round?

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone called for 2nd round interview for Legal Aid Society? Had first interview in December. Haven't heard a peep back. Was handed a notice after first interview that we were still in the running unless told otherwise. But I also heard ppl saying in the past they didn't get it and were not notified.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Anybody who's doing the current wave of NJ interviews get the offer/rejection/invitation to a panel yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 am

does anyone know what the first year or so will look like for BxD. Training, caseload etc. I would appreciate any input!

ellewoods123
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby ellewoods123 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know what the first year or so will look like for BxD. Training, caseload etc. I would appreciate any input!


Same here!

mojojojo
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:01 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby mojojojo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:12 am

Got Santa Clara. Lol where tf are all the Californians on this thread, are most of us just too chill for this or smthg.

Also, your interviews sound a LOT worse on the other coast guys. Sorry, sounds rough. Opening/closing statements? Grilling on substantive law? Three rounds of interviews?? How can PDs even afford that? I've had 2 hypos in 6 interviews, 0 openings/closings, and a few asked me to talk about the case of my choice. All apps have been res/cover letter followed by one interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Thought Legal Aid would be scheduling interviews with Tina in the first few weeks of March... anyone got that email and has been scheduled yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thought Legal Aid would be scheduling interviews with Tina in the first few weeks of March... anyone got that email and has been scheduled yet?


I know someone that was contacted last week to schedule an interview two weeks from now (during the last week of March).

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 pm

NJ rejection letter via mail.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Has anyone who did a callback at fed defenders of san diego heard anything?

anonymousposterchild
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby anonymousposterchild » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:03 pm

My apologies for posting so deep in this thread, but..

Can anyone recommend some initial resources for researching public defenders offices, ie, which states have the best training programs, which are middle of the road, which are highly competitive, which are less so, etc? I'm really looking anywhere and everywhere for programs with great training and mentorship opportunities

I understand that to participate in Gideon's Promise you have to work in at a public defender's office in the Southern US? Is this opportunity exhausted for 2017-2018? I'd be really interested in any advice anyone has about getting into this program

Thanks so much!

torilynn
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:09 pm

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby torilynn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:57 pm

anonymousposterchild wrote:My apologies for posting so deep in this thread, but..

Can anyone recommend some initial resources for researching public defenders offices, ie, which states have the best training programs, which are middle of the road, which are highly competitive, which are less so, etc? I'm really looking anywhere and everywhere for programs with great training and mentorship opportunities

I understand that to participate in Gideon's Promise you have to work in at a public defender's office in the Southern US? Is this opportunity exhausted for 2017-2018? I'd be really interested in any advice anyone has about getting into this program

Thanks so much!



Reach out to the program director at Gideon's Promise. It's a great program and an amazing experience. It helped me get my post grad job. Show your interest, they may have some openings at some offices still. And yes, most of the offices are in the Southern US.

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who did a callback at fed defenders of san diego heard anything?


Nope...

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Has any of the NY offices, other than Bronx Defenders, made any offers this cycle so far?

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Got the interview with Tina, scheduled for 3/31

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Has anyone heard anything from CPCS in Massachusetts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 293219
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who did a callback at fed defenders of san diego heard anything?


Nope...


Same.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.