3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Anyone else not hear and remaining hopeful? lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else not hear and remaining hopeful? lol.
Same boat. I'm confident more offers will come tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:37 pm

More are coming, right? Someone tell me yes...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Well, I tell myself, Tina would probably have no voice left if she made like 60 phone offers in one day... so I'm just gonna stick with that and remain confident lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 pm

FYI there are two classes this year - Nov 1 and Feb 1. The Feb 1 class might move up to Nov if LAS gets more funding from the city/people drop out. But just wanted to let folks know. Still super excited to have an offer at all!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:40 pm

anybody apply for the Parole Revocation Defense Unit at LAS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:02 pm

So are we thinking that if you didn't get an offer today, you're out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 pm

I know last year they came out in a very disjointed fashion... maybe that holds true for this year to some extent?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 pm

I usually do no post, but know that I would want to know this information. I spoke with legal aid today... as of now all of their initial offers have been made. I was assured that does not mean "rejection" because things are still being worked on, people are still considering offers and haven't accepted LAS just yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Anyone hear anything from BDS or from Harlem?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Someone on the PD gunner threat claims that Harlem hired. Did anyone have an interview with them?

I think if you're waiting on BDS at this point it's probably about money; I got a ding like 2 weeks ago so some cuts have been made.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Someone on the PD gunner threat claims that Harlem hired. Did anyone have an interview with them?

I think if you're waiting on BDS at this point it's probably about money; I got a ding like 2 weeks ago so some cuts have been made.
Had you done the third round final interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Someone on the PD gunner threat claims that Harlem hired. Did anyone have an interview with them?

Nope, was dinged before that step but it did come recently. Don't know how much that info actually helps you but figured I'd pass it along. FYI I hear the issue with BDS and LAS isn't about funding directly from the city per se but funding related to the fact that the city is letting institutional defenders take conflicts from each other instead of giving them all to 18-B attorneys. LAS and BDS are both planning to take conflicts and neither has that all ironed out yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope, was dinged before that step but it did come recently. Don't know how much that info actually helps you but figured I'd pass it along. FYI I hear the issue with BDS and LAS isn't about funding directly from the city per se but funding related to the fact that the city is letting institutional defenders take conflicts from each other instead of giving them all to 18-B attorneys. LAS and BDS are both planning to take conflicts and neither has that all ironed out yet.
^ close. Basically, the City tried to reduce funding to 18-B lawyers and thus increase funds to providers like LAS, BDS, Harlem, etc. but the 18-B attorneys fought it, saying the City couldn't change their contracts without their consent. After a lengthy legal battle, it looks like the City can officially go forward with that intended change, but that they haven't specified the plan yet (i.e. the additional funding that each provider will receive) for restructuring that system. I was under the impression that when the City knows, we'll know, because the providers will need/want to move fast. Hopefully it all gets worked out soon...maybe this week? fingers crossed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 10:36 am

Hmm, is it just me, or is it different that Legal Aid's website now says that final Criminal Defense decisions will be made in April or May 2013. I guess that means that those still waiting are going to hear one way or another by the end of May?

http://www.legal-aid.org/en/las/diversi ... dates.aspx

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hmm, is it just me, or is it different that Legal Aid's website now says that final Criminal Defense decisions will be made in April or May 2013. I guess that means that those still waiting are going to hear one way or another by the end of May?

I think all the initial offers are out now but we have not received offer packages. Once those go out/get returned, LAS will know how many empty spots they have and will give out remaining spots. When I got the call from Tina, she said we'd be getting the offer package in the middle of May and would have "plenty of time to respond," so perhaps early June is a better estimate for those waiting on vacancies?

Fingers crossed the 18b funding works out for more LAS and BDS spots for everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Does anyone know if LAS is actually intending to make additional offers, from the 18-b funding or otherwise? Or is it more likely that the only additional offers will be the openings that may arise from people rejecting the offers that went out last week?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hmm, is it just me, or is it different that Legal Aid's website now says that final Criminal Defense decisions will be made in April or May 2013. I guess that means that those still waiting are going to hear one way or another by the end of May?

The website has always said April and May 2013 for final decisions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 10:06 pm

I am debating giving a call this week to see if there is any anticipated timeline on funding. I don't want them to feel pressured and I know its out of their hands, but I kinda just want to know if I'll get to walk the stage knowing. Or if I should start applying elsewhere... :-/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2013 9:54 am

I work at LAS. We recently were all emailed and told that LAS has extended 83 offers for the Fall 2013 class.

I noticed some other questions about salary: pre-bar salary is about $48K, and jumps to $53K once you get admitted. There is a salary scale pursuant to the collective bargaining with yearly raises.

And the benefits are great. You can choose from different individual or family health plan options - I have a single health insurance plan and only contribute $28 a month. There's also great dental insurance, life insurance, etc. Vacation starts at four weeks a year, plus five personal days and unlimited sick days. We can also cash in up to seventeen "comp days" a year (which is basically overtime for working night or weekend arraignment shifts). You get reimbursed for meals and cabs when you work night court or weekend arraignments. There is a pension that is 100% employer funded, but I recommend also contributing to a 403(b). LAS will pay our biannual bar registration fee (which is $375), plus other similar costs. And there are corporate gym membership discounts, plus you can get up to $400 back from your health insurance every year for going to the gym.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2013 11:50 am

Anyone hear anything as to whether or not more offers are coming (apart from spots that open up from people turning down the offers)? I had a final interview in mid-March and have heard nothing since then.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work at LAS. We recently were all emailed and told that LAS has extended 83 offers for the Fall 2013 class.

I noticed some other questions about salary: pre-bar salary is about $48K, and jumps to $53K once you get admitted. There is a salary scale pursuant to the collective bargaining with yearly raises.

And the benefits are great. You can choose from different individual or family health plan options - I have a single health insurance plan and only contribute $28 a month. There's also great dental insurance, life insurance, etc. Vacation starts at four weeks a year, plus five personal days and unlimited sick days. We can also cash in up to seventeen "comp days" a year (which is basically overtime for working night or weekend arraignment shifts). You get reimbursed for meals and cabs when you work night court or weekend arraignments. There is a pension that is 100% employer funded, but I recommend also contributing to a 403(b). LAS will pay our biannual bar registration fee (which is $375), plus other similar costs. And there are corporate gym membership discounts, plus you can get up to $400 back from your health insurance every year for going to the gym.
Thanks for the information! This is really helpful for those of us who got offers but have not yet received our offer packages.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 12, 2013 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I work at LAS. We recently were all emailed and told that LAS has extended 83 offers for the Fall 2013 class.

Thanks for the information! This is really helpful for those of us who got offers but have not yet received our offer packages.
minor detail, but does LAS provide subway fare at all? thank you for the info!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2013 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote: minor detail, but does LAS provide subway fare at all? thank you for the info!
You can enroll in Transitcheck if you plan on taking public transit to work, which is a pre-tax benefit. The monthly cost of your unlimited metrocard will be deducted pre-tax from your paycheck, so you will end up saving some money since your taxable salary will be lower. If you plan on driving, you can also deduct some of those costs as a pre-tax benefit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Anyone hear from BDS yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”