3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Tanicius

Gold

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Tanicius » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote: Substantive law I agree is silly to test for. Everyone learns the substantive law on the job.

For trial skills and client communication though, there's only so much you can teach. Someone at the top of their class could easily be terrible at communicating with clients or presenting themselves in court, and I think a lot of exercises can quickly determine that.

Overall, I definitely agree that computer exercise is dumb.
The interview itself tests the person's communication skills, imo. I mean the really awkward people who aren't good at communicating typically can't communicate or present themselves well during an interview.
Depends. People who can communicate with people they identify as peers may not be able to handle talking to someone wearing orange. It can be night and day. Doing an exercise where you have to talk to a client in role play does have value.

Scruffy_the_Janitor

New

Post by Scruffy_the_Janitor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Scruffy_the_Janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight into Palm Beach PD's hiring process? What is(are) the interview(s) like? Thoughts?

Were there any more LAS rejections? It's my first choice, and I'm holding out hope since I didn't get a rejection last week. But I didn't get a call for a Tina interview yet either.
I did my interview back in December. It's basically what was already mentioned in this forum, buried somewhere in pages 37 or thereabouts.

You show up 30 minutes early and then you are led to a room with a computer. You are given a typed single sheet of paper with a hypo on it. You're supposed to write what you would do initially, who you would interview, possible defenses, motions, etc. No internet access allowed and no research allowed. Then you have an hour interview that goes over what you typed, the facts, and then why PD? type questions.

They said they would get back with decisions around February.
PD offices are crazy. It's like they assume you're not going to be able to research shit as an attorney and that you can't be trained criminal defense trial skills. I mean if you're borderline retarded, you probably aren't very good at research and can't be trained criminal defense trial skills, but the vast majority of people LAS interviews probably don't fall into that category. I don't really understand these crazy interview tactics. IMO, it makes more sense to hire really smart people who have demonstrated an interested in indigent criminal defense work, rather than people who know substantive criminal law or who appear to be slightly better trial attorneys before even being licensed to practice law. It's probably safe to hire the guy who's at the tipity top of his class at HLS and has spent two summers interning at PD's office.
You probably meant PD offices in general but just in case this was about LAS, I should have clarified that my comment was about Palm Beach's interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Any updates from OPD????? Im going crazy waiting!!!! I thought they said they were making decisions this week. its Thursday!!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates from OPD????? Im going crazy waiting!!!! I thought they said they were making decisions this week. its Thursday!!!!
Right! The Louisiana bar deadline is Feb 1st..the late fee is $750!!!!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tanicius wrote: Substantive law I agree is silly to test for. Everyone learns the substantive law on the job.

For trial skills and client communication though, there's only so much you can teach. Someone at the top of their class could easily be terrible at communicating with clients or presenting themselves in court, and I think a lot of exercises can quickly determine that.

Overall, I definitely agree that computer exercise is dumb.
The interview itself tests the person's communication skills, imo. I mean the really awkward people who aren't good at communicating typically can't communicate or present themselves well during an interview.
Depends. People who can communicate with people they identify as peers may not be able to handle talking to someone wearing orange. It can be night and day. Doing an exercise where you have to talk to a client in role play does have value.
Yeah, I agree--the client role playing exercise is probably the one exercise that I think can have value. Asking for a sample writing sample that would be written to a client and explains something (e.g. the criminal procedure) could be valuable as well. Those are much different than the computer exercise that was described, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Did OPD expressly say that they would give out offers this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Scruffy_the_Janitor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight into Palm Beach PD's hiring process? What is(are) the interview(s) like? Thoughts?

Were there any more LAS rejections? It's my first choice, and I'm holding out hope since I didn't get a rejection last week. But I didn't get a call for a Tina interview yet either.
I did my interview back in December. It's basically what was already mentioned in this forum, buried somewhere in pages 37 or thereabouts.

You show up 30 minutes early and then you are led to a room with a computer. You are given a typed single sheet of paper with a hypo on it. You're supposed to write what you would do initially, who you would interview, possible defenses, motions, etc. No internet access allowed and no research allowed. Then you have an hour interview that goes over what you typed, the facts, and then why PD? type questions.

They said they would get back with decisions around February.
Thank you! So, there's no role play or anything? Just trial strategy, investigation, that kind of stuff? I appreciate the help!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did OPD expressly say that they would give out offers this week?
Their email stated

OPD is working hard to wrap up final interviews by the second week of January in hopes of making our final hiring decisions sometime the third week of January. For those of you that have already had your final interviews, please reach out to us if you need an answer sooner than that. We know other offices are currently extending offers. If you receive an offer from another office, but OPD remains at the top of your list, please contact

And then the email proceeds to give the contact info.

I would hope they wouldn't wait until after the regular bar deadline to make decisions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:17 pm

Has anyone gone through the LAS process? What should we expect for the second round/one-on-one interview?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:14 am

OPD made some offers, I don't know if it's all of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:OPD made some offers, I don't know if it's all of them.
Gideon offers or paid ones? It's so hard competing with people who will work for free pretty much..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:04 am

Yesterday got a call & voicemail from an unknown 212 number. I just about died hoping it was LAS with good news. Nope... it was a pest inspection company calling because there are confirmed bedbugs in my apartment building and I have to have an inspection.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yesterday got a call & voicemail from an unknown 212 number. I just about died hoping it was LAS with good news. Nope... it was a pest inspection company calling because there are confirmed bedbugs in my apartment building and I have to have an inspection.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
That's awful... Ugh, the wait is starting to kill me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OPD made some offers, I don't know if it's all of them.
Gideon offers or paid ones? It's so hard competing with people who will work for free pretty much..
Not OP, but I know of a Gideon offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:59 am

Does anyone know any non Gideon people who got opd?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Does anyone know how many rounds CO has?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Any non-Gideon news from New Orleans?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any non-Gideon news from New Orleans?
Can this just be the question of the month, seriously

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how many rounds CO has?
screener -> skype interview -> offer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:29 pm

So do we think this blizzard will further delay decisions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone confirm or deny whether Maryland/CPCS have done interviews.
I did what they called a second-round interview with Maryland a few days ago. It was not clear to me whether there would be another round after that.
I didn't think Maryland hired pre-bar. Is this as a clerk?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know any non Gideon people who got opd?
Yes, I know of someone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:26 am

LAS, you're killing me!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:11 pm

Brooklyn anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:LAS, you're killing me!!!
Me too!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”