3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question for someone who has done the Philly interview - what was the timeline for when they would notify us about a second round interview? The end of the interview was a blur...
Beginning of March
Anyone know if you can Skype the 2nd round. Another plane flight is going to start hurting the budget.
I'm inclined to say no only because that's the round where they really get to know you. They don't ask a lot about you in the first interview, so it's really about getting a feel for you.

They pay for your transportation costs if you make it to the second round- I just finished interviewing with them Friday, and that's what they told me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:35 pm

What is starting pay for Philly and Miami? Anybody know?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is starting pay for Philly and Miami? Anybody know?
Philly said starting is around 32 but goes up to 48 after bar passage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is starting pay for Philly and Miami? Anybody know?
Philly said starting is around 32 but goes up to 48 after bar passage.
Well, at least I could live off that. I thought it was like $34k for several years to start and I was wondering if I could qualify for food stamps.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:11 pm

For those of us who just went through a bunch of first-round interviews, I'm thinking crickets until at least after the NYU job fair in early February, no? I can't think of any other major job fairs after that, so I'm hoping to start hearing by mid February (probably really March) about second rounds (lulz, so far I've had no seconds, but I can dream). Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Also, not a peep from Massachusetts, so I have no idea when they start interviewing - anyone have an insight on that? I'm wondering if they wait for LORs to decide whether to interview you. I still find the up-front LOR thing odd for a job as opposed to a school application, but it's an employer's market I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:40 pm

Has anyone done a quick interview with NJ (I have one with them at the PILC fair- 20 minutes long)? Do they do hypos or just getting to know you type questions?

Also, again, if anyone has had an offer from Legal Aid, do let us know. Last they told me they were making early offers in January, and it's the last day. No one from my school has heard anything- so I just want to know if anyone could help out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done a quick interview with NJ (I have one with them at the PILC fair- 20 minutes long)? Do they do hypos or just getting to know you type questions?

Also, again, if anyone has had an offer from Legal Aid, do let us know. Last they told me they were making early offers in January, and it's the last day. No one from my school has heard anything- so I just want to know if anyone could help out.
If the NJ interview at the PILC fair is anything like the interview at my school's OCI, it's just a screener. No hypo, and really no tough questions at all. The interviewer told me that they are hiring very few people, if any, pre-bar, though. So I'm not getting my hopes up about them.

As far as LAS, after my interview with Tina she told me February is when they hope to get offers out. So I won't be (too) worried until the end of this next month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:31 am

Had an interview where I had only 15 mins to prep everything. I know I missed a few issues on first pass, but when asked about them I nailed it. Probably means I'm toast tho going from previous experiences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:14 pm

How does an out-of-state student get hired as a PD in Montana or Arizona?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does an out-of-state student get hired as a PD in Montana or Arizona?
Don't know about Montana. Arizona basically said "take the AZ bar, then apply."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done a quick interview with NJ (I have one with them at the PILC fair- 20 minutes long)? Do they do hypos or just getting to know you type questions?

If the NJ interview at the PILC fair is anything like the interview at my school's OCI, it's just a screener. No hypo, and really no tough questions at all. The interviewer told me that they are hiring very few people, if any, pre-bar, though. So I'm not getting my hopes up about them.

As far as LAS, after my interview with Tina she told me February is when they hope to get offers out. So I won't be (too) worried until the end of this next month.

Thank you! Very helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:42 am

I interviewed with Tina in November - she said December/January for the first 10, and then probably not until March-April for the rest.... no one at my school including professors have heard of anyone getting an offer yet so I guess (hope) they're still running behind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
When did you interview with Tina? Any idea if she meant February for the first 10 offers or for more of them?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shawshank33

New

Post by Shawshank33 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Those of you who also accepted Palm Beach offer-- PM me!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:02 am

Re. LAS, I just had a first round with them in January and know of at least one other person who also did. I was told that I would probably hear if I get a second round in March, which sounded kind of late (if I get that far at all). So I can't quite figure out the timeline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:21 am

Well just got rejected from a place that asked for my references. So far I am 0 and 5 on getting past second rounds. Fml.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well just got rejected from a place that asked for my references. So far I am 0 and 5 on getting past second rounds. Fml.
damn sorry to hear that. was it LAS by any chance?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well just got rejected from a place that asked for my references. So far I am 0 and 5 on getting past second rounds. Fml.
oh no! the market is so tough this year. It's getting very depressing- the waiting, not hearing not hearing and then rejection.

I don't know if any of you as PD candidates are interested in immigration, but the Immigration Justice Corps are accepting applications- so it might be another venue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Has anyone heard anything from NDS or the Office of the Appellate Defender?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from NDS or the Office of the Appellate Defender?
NDS has already made selections

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
oh no! the market is so tough this year. It's getting very depressing- the waiting, not hearing not hearing and then rejection.

I don't know if any of you as PD candidates are interested in immigration, but the Immigration Justice Corps are accepting applications- so it might be another venue.
No not LAS. I've done mock interview after mock interview with good feedback so I am just lost and idk what I'm going to do post grad without a job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 pm

San Diego just called to schedule an interview. They are doing skype interviews next week apparently

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:33 pm

I also got that call but will be turning down the interview tomorrow. Hope I open up space for other TLSers. And good luck to the above poster, its a great office in the best city in the world.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:San Diego just called to schedule an interview. They are doing skype interviews next week apparently
are you talking first or second round interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:San Diego just called to schedule an interview. They are doing skype interviews next week apparently
+1 just got a call as well. Anyone know if SD hires most of their post bar clerks?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”