3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
aladdinismyprince

New

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by aladdinismyprince » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Does anyone know what opportunities are available for someone who wishes to work as an appellate public defender in Texas? Is there any appellate office? Or are all appellate attorneys appointed from a panel?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:39 pm

I will be starting at BDS (Brooklyn Defenders) in the fall! I know of one other person who is as well, I believe she got her offer in May. Hoping to connect with others in what I assume is a small class! No one in my PD network knows of anyone else so I've turned to TLS to see if anyone out there does!

Good luck to everyone :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will be starting at BDS (Brooklyn Defenders) in the fall! I know of one other person who is as well, I believe she got her offer in May. Hoping to connect with others in what I assume is a small class! No one in my PD network knows of anyone else so I've turned to TLS to see if anyone out there does!

Hey congrats! Its a great office. I interned there as a 2L. I really hope the took a couple people from our intern class. Did you just find out? I took a different offer back in January because I didn't think BDS would get back to me in a reasonable amout of time. If they gave offers in May and July I guess I was right.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I will be starting at BDS (Brooklyn Defenders) in the fall! I know of one other person who is as well, I believe she got her offer in May. Hoping to connect with others in what I assume is a small class! No one in my PD network knows of anyone else so I've turned to TLS to see if anyone out there does!

Hey congrats! Its a great office. I interned there as a 2L. I really hope the took a couple people from our intern class. Did you just find out? I took a different offer back in January because I didn't think BDS would get back to me in a reasonable amout of time. If they gave offers in May and July I guess I was right.
Don't want to totally ID myself but you are right that they were late offers. And the person who heard in May was told that they weren't sure yet what their final class size would end up being at that time, so who knows if they are even done yet. I definitely bugged them a lot to keep showing my continued interest.

Thanks so much! Congrats on your job as well! Hop back on this thread if you do learn you know someone who got hired who would like to get in touch!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:14 am

Kentucky called offering an interview today. Just FYI

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tpsreports

New

Post by tpsreports » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:29 am

Has anyone heard anything about the LAS waitlist?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:26 am

Reviving this thread for the new hiring season beginning soon!

I am a current law clerk at PDS DC and I have a screening interview Tuesday for a permanent trial division position. I was wondering if any of you guys knew much about the screening interview. I know it is thirty minutes. Is it just a generic "Why PD?" interview? Are there hypos? Single interviewer or panel? Advice, tips, thoughts? All would be appreciated. Thanks!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Reviving this thread for the new hiring season beginning soon!

I am a current law clerk at PDS DC and I have a screening interview Tuesday for a permanent trial division position. I was wondering if any of you guys knew much about the screening interview. I know it is thirty minutes. Is it just a generic "Why PD?" interview? Are there hypos? Single interviewer or panel? Advice, tips, thoughts? All would be appreciated. Thanks!
Why PD and a few quick hypos.

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 am

I'm reposting here because I didn't get any responses in the gunner thread. Does anyone know of federal defender offices that hire straight out of (federal) clerkships? I've heard San Diego is one, and I'm looking for others. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:01 am

aladdinismyprince wrote:I'm reposting here because I didn't get any responses in the gunner thread. Does anyone know of federal defender offices that hire straight out of (federal) clerkships? I've heard San Diego is one, and I'm looking for others. Thanks!
San Diego's literally the only one I've heard of. Don't pigeon-hole yourself into FedPD-or-bust.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:06 am

Can you guys share what the oral exam is? My county has a screening process, then an oral exam, and finally selection interviews.

I'm up for an oral exam this week. I have no clue what they'll ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Reviving this thread for the new hiring season beginning soon!

Hypos are panel (Jen and a few other attys.) They may ask about weaknesses in your application- any time spent at a firm, any negative feedback from your supervisor, etc. But for the most part its really low key. Not to burst your bubble at all but statistically speaking there isn't too much correlation between clerking at PDS and hiring. Part of that is simply because they have so many clerks! So the screener is really laid back because they have to get through everyone's relax and be friendly and have fun with it and you'll have the best chance of moving on. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Tanicius wrote:
aladdinismyprince wrote:I'm reposting here because I didn't get any responses in the gunner thread. Does anyone know of federal defender offices that hire straight out of (federal) clerkships? I've heard San Diego is one, and I'm looking for others. Thanks!
San Diego's literally the only one I've heard of. Don't pigeon-hole yourself into FedPD-or-bust.
Once in a great while, other offices try to take an entry-level-ish attorney (and attempt to train them). For example, SDNY FPD hired a SCOTUS clerk with no other prior experience, so it's possible, but extremely unlikely. Also, San Diego is very, very competitive. The office is something like 55 attorneys, and gets 1000s of application each year from recent grads. Honestly, your odds are probably better at DoJ honors than at San Diego FPD for entry-level.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:23 pm

If you'd ever consider Iowa:
Gideon Fellowship Program
The Gideon Fellowship Program is the Office of the State Public Defender's primary means of hiring entry-level attorneys. Each year, two Gideon Fellows are selected to serve a two-year term appointment in one of our public defender offices. Fellows will serve alongside career public defenders representing clients, trying cases, and participating in training and mentoring through the State Public Defender's New Attorney Development Program. Fellows are eligible to apply for permanent public defender positions during the term of their fellowship and it is hoped that successful fellows will continue their careers long-term in Iowa with the Office of the State Public Defender.

Eligibility and Qualifications
Third-year law students and current state or federal judicial law clerks are eligible to apply to the Gideon Fellowship Program. We are seeking new attorneys who are passionate about providing competent and zealous representation for their clients in criminal and juvenile proceedings. While many cases resolve through plea negotiations or other noncontested proceedings, we expect public defenders to be trial attorneys, capable and eager to try a case to the court or a jury. Prior criminal courtroom experience, through law school clinics, public defender or prosecution internships, or mock trial are preferred. A Gideon Fellow must be licensed to practice law in Iowa prior to beginning employment with the Office of the State Public Defender. Any offer of employment to a person not yet admitted to practice in Iowa will be subject to the person being admitted to practice prior to the commencement of the fellowship.
Application and Selection Process

Applicants for the 2015-2017 Gideon Fellowships must submit a written application by September 15, 2014, consisting of the following components:
Gideon Fellowship Application Form
Cover Letter
Resume
Law School Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
Writing Sample (no more than 10 pages)
Electronic submission of the application as a PDF attachment by e-mail to spdjobs@spd.state.ia.us is strongly preferred. Applicants may also mail their applications to:
State Public Defender
321 E. 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319
spdjobs@spd.state.ia.us

Finalists for the Gideon Fellowship Program will be notified by October 1, 2014. Finalists will be invited to participate in a series of in-person interviews in Des Moines on October 10, 2014.
Successful applicants will be contacted by October 31, 2014.
Location of the 2015-17 Fellowships
The Office of the State Public Defender will be hiring for Gideon Fellows to being working in the following two offices on or about October 1, 2015:
· Des Moines Adult Office: The Des Moines Adult Office is the largest and busiest public defender office in the State of Iowa, handling cases primarily in Polk and Dallas counties. Fourteen attorneys are assisted by three investigators and four clerical staff in their efforts to provide high quality representation to indigent persons in a wide range of criminal cases. The office is located in Des Moines, the capital of Iowa. More information about living in the Greater Des Moines area is available here.

· Waterloo Adult Office: While not the largest office, the Waterloo Adult Office, which handles cases primarily in Black Hawk County, is one of the fastest paced offices in the State Public Defender system. Eleven attorneys are assisted by two investigators and three clerical staff in their efforts to provide high quality representation. The office is located in Waterloo in northeast Iowa. More information about living in the Waterloo-Cedar Falls area is available here.

Compensation and Benefits
Gideon Fellows are covered by the collective bargaining agreement between the State and AFSCME, which governs salary and benefits. A fellow will be hired at Pay Grade 29, which currently has a starting salary of $48,505.60. After the successful completion of a six-month probationary period, the fellow will receive a 4.5% pay increase. The fellow will receive a second pay 4.5% increase after completing eighteen months of service.

Benefits include:
Health, Dental, and Long-term Disability, and Life Insurance
Paid vacation (two weeks annually), sick leave, and eleven holidays
Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) and voluntary deferred compensation programs
More information is available from the Department of Administrative Services Employee and Retiree Benefits Site, including the 2014 Benefits at a Glance guide for AFSCME-covered employees.
Additional information about the salary for other permanent SPD attorney positions is available on the Legal Careers page.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
Applicants with student loan debt may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgivness Program, which can provide further substantial financial benefit to a position with the Office of the State Public Defender. The Office of the State Public Defender is qualified public service employment under the program. Thus, eligible employees with the appropriate type of student loans and sufficient financial hardship who make ten years of qualifying monthly payments in the appropriate repayment plan may have all their remaining student loan forgiven. More information is available from the U.S. Department of Education and Equal Justice Works.

Background on the Gideon Fellowship Program
The Gideon Fellowship Program was established by House File 2132, which was signed into law by Governor Terry E. Branstad on April 3, 2014. The program was proposed by the State Public Defender to provide a new method of recruiting and hiring entry-level attorneys competitively with other legal employers. The program is named in honor of Gideon v. Wainwright, which established the right to counsel at state expense in criminal cases more than 50 years ago.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:52 pm

even though it says 3Ls can apply it also says that you must be licensed to practice by the time you start the fellowship. Is iowa one of those states with their swearing in ceremonies in like october?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:40 pm

End of September according to their bar bulletin.

Still a week after I'll be sworn in though. One of the few upsides of practicing in a tiny state.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi everyone- just wondering if anyone still checks this board.

I am starting with Legal Aid in November, and I was wondering if anyone on the boards also received and offer and would like to start meeting for drinks/chats/coffee/encouragement.

My Biglaw boyfriend has a Facebook group of his biglaw bros, and I've noticed they offer a lot of support/ encouragement.

Just a thought, donno if something like this already exists!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Checking in. I am a 3L applying to become a public defender. I am interviewing with PDS (!!!!!!) and another public defender's office through my Fall OCI. I don't know where to start besides the Equal Justice Fair! Best of luck for everyone, and hopefully next year, I'll be a PD!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in. I am a 3L applying to become a public defender. I am interviewing with PDS (!!!!!!) and another public defender's office through my Fall OCI. I don't know where to start besides the Equal Justice Fair! Best of luck for everyone, and hopefully next year, I'll be a PD!
Curious to know where PDS does OCI. I know they do at Virginia, what other schools?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:18 pm

Cornell had them a few years ago. I think we usually get one or two PD offices to show up every year once alums get to the level of seniority where they would be sent to recruit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Checking in. I am a 3L applying to become a public defender. I am interviewing with PDS (!!!!!!) and another public defender's office through my Fall OCI. I don't know where to start besides the Equal Justice Fair! Best of luck for everyone, and hopefully next year, I'll be a PD!
Curious to know where PDS does OCI. I know they do at Virginia, what other schools?
California schools, northeastern schools, all over..they are also going to lavender law

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 am

Does anyone happen to have a list of pd's offices that will be interviewing 3Ls? A lot of offices appear to only be taking experienced attorneys or not hiring. Just curious if there was a comprehensive list out there!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:19 pm

The NYU Guide to PD Offices provides a comprehensive list, and the psjd website has the guide. And a lot of public defenders interview at the Equal Justice Fair. I'd also try to talk to someone who knows the PD market about which offices to apply to. Hope that this helps!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:19 pm

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone happen to have a list of pd's offices that will be interviewing 3Ls? A lot of offices appear to only be taking experienced attorneys or not hiring. Just curious if there was a comprehensive list out there!
Browse through last years EJW and PILC roster and then go through the I think its golden gate law or davis' guide to CA public defenders and that should have you pretty much covered.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”