3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
abogadesq

Silver

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by abogadesq » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:49 pm

(not a 3L but a graduate)

Had a PD interview recently. I thought it went very well and it seemed like I was a sure hire. Found out I struck out. Competition is truly fierce even with a strong PI background. You really have to have one foot already in the door (internship + CLI + trial background + local school) to have much of a chance no matter where it is.

On the bright side the defendants in the waiting room can give you good advice on alternative ways to scrape a living.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:02 pm

abogadesq wrote:(not a 3L but a graduate)

Had a PD interview recently. I thought it went very well and it seemed like I was a sure hire. Found out I struck out.
Which office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Has anyone heard from LAS yet this week?

NickiDrea

New

Post by NickiDrea » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:05 pm

psu2016 wrote:Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for this - I'd be happy to move it if it isn't - but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on (rising) 3L PD applications. What's the time line? Do PDs hire "classes" the way that firms do? Long story short, I'm top 5% at a TT looking to go cross-coast (yeah, I know, poor planning at the start of law school, but I took the free ride). Anybody have any luck doing this? My resume is exclusively PD experience including Philly and (hopefully) PDS next year.

Has anyone had success breaking into the PD market from out of state/no connections? What ECs are they looking for?

This is what I'm truly passionate about but I don't want to stay where it snows for the rest of my life...

Thanks for your help!
Yes, PD's offices have classes. Our office usually has a Fall and a Spring class. The Spring classes tend to be smaller.

I broke into the PD's office in Philly- which was EXTREMELY competitive then and is now almost impossible to get into- without any connections. I did not come from any local schools. We look for good schools (not necessarily local), good grades and a strong commitment to public interest, preferably shown through criminal clinicals in law school and internships at our office; however, clinical experience and an internship will in no way guarantee getting an offer.

Philly PD has a screening interview, a panel and a final panel with the Chief Defender. We do not give out the problem in advance and it is a difficult problem and a very intense interview. Lasts about 1.5-2 hours. Be warned! But it is worth it. Philly is considered to have one of the best PD's offices in the US for a reason. Love this job and the people.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:29 pm

Question: when you do not get an offer but are told that they will consider you in the future, do they really mean that or is it only out of politeness? Should I restart the whole application process if there is another opening to really be reconsidered?
Anonymous User wrote:
abogadesq wrote:(not a 3L but a graduate)

Had a PD interview recently. I thought it went very well and it seemed like I was a sure hire. Found out I struck out.
Which office?
It was a small office so I'd rather not say. Really nice and professional people; I hope I get the chance to work in a PD office like that some day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Anyone have information about the Los Angeles PD process that is underway right now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:39 pm

What's the starting salary at the Philly PD's office? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LAS yet this week?
I wasn't naive enough to expect them to call last week, but this is getting ridiculous.

TekkaTekka

New

Post by TekkaTekka » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have information about the Los Angeles PD process that is underway right now?
No idea. Finished my second round interview a little over two weeks ago. I was told they could call as early as next week, or take up to six months depending on the budget.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Does anyone know if Maryland OPD has made offers for the Fall '15 class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:08 am

Update on AK PD: they sent an email for "availability of hiring" to see who they will interview for two offices in the next few months.

roctaz

New

Post by roctaz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Update on AK PD: they sent an email for "availability of hiring" to see who they will interview for two offices in the next few months.
Thanks for the update! I received the same email. I hope we both get a second interview. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:55 am

Hi everyone,

Was wondering whether anyone has heard updates from Toni or Tina about their LAS applications. I haven't heard anything.

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:24 pm

I know that at least some calls were made this week. I have no idea how many.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Got a waitlist email from LAS at around 4:00pm. Congratulations to everyone who got offers!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Got the wait list e-mail as well from LAS, congrats to those who got offers!

Does anyone know of anyone who got an eventual offer while wait listed at LAS?

roctaz

New

Post by roctaz » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:35 pm

RE: AK Public Defender:

Has anybody heard anything since emails were sent out on 6/15/2015? Thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:43 pm

roctaz wrote:RE: AK Public Defender:

Hey I'm the other AK person in this thread. I turned down the interview request so unfortunately I can't be your "update buddy" anymore :(

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the process was taking longer than expected. Good luck I hope you get that second interview ! :D

roctaz

New

Post by roctaz » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:56 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:
roctaz wrote:RE: AK Public Defender:

Hey I'm the other AK person in this thread. I turned down the interview request so unfortunately I can't be your "update buddy" anymore :(

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the process was taking longer than expected. Good luck I hope you get that second interview ! :D
Thanks for the reply! This has been quite a long process.

Wolfingl

New

Post by Wolfingl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:00 am

Hi all,

Accepted my offer with LAS JRP! Any potential NYC roommates please message me!

Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications (2015-2016)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:26 pm

bumping this as I have a screener with NHPD in a few weeks. Anyone have info on their screeners i.e. hypos or just "why PD?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Any word on CPCS hiring?

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:56 pm

Update on FL PD: after several rounds of interviews I obtained a PD position. If you continue to strike out but really want a PD position, keep trying. Experienced PDs are retiring and state budgets are frozen, so vacancies are sporadic. Even in smaller cities it's ridiculously competitive, but PDs will take note of your persistence and continued enthusiasm for the field. Do pro bono work alongside any paid job you are taking in the interim. Take every PD opportunity that pops up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Holy moly! You already have a screener as a rising 3L? Wow I am all of a sudden feeling way behind!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:12 pm

Any point in throwing an app to the crim division of PDs offices when your experience is largely civil (SS disability, public benefits, family, immigration, etc.)

I did volunteer for the Innocence Project, so there's that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”