Practicing Law in Alaska

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Just had an interview with a 5-15 local law firm in anchorage. I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to what practicing law in AK is like. From what I am told, younger lawyers get a lot more responsibility up there. Additionally, does anyone have any idea if starting out in a local firm allows you to transfer to the local offices of BigLaw (i.e. KL Gates, Perkins Coie, Stoel Rives)? Any insight at all would be much appreciated.

lawschoolgrapedme
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:06 pm

I have no idea. I'm just curious where you go to school to work in Alaska?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Hawaii ?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby A'nold » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Yeah, what school OP? I applied to a few of the "big firms" in Alaska via mass mailing earlier this fall but I think I've only heard back from like one of them. Maybe the mailman got mauled by a bear?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:13 pm

A'nold wrote:Yeah, what school OP? I applied to a few of the "big firms" in Alaska via mass mailing earlier this fall but I think I've only heard back from like one of them. Maybe the mailman got mauled by a bear?


Don't quite want to out myself, but I will say I am at a Tier 1 Rocky Mountain School.

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:21 pm

I'm told it's cold

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:38 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:I'm told it's cold



See also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJNQZ_fot0A at 1:25

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A'nold wrote:Yeah, what school OP? I applied to a few of the "big firms" in Alaska via mass mailing earlier this fall but I think I've only heard back from like one of them. Maybe the mailman got mauled by a bear?


Don't quite want to out myself, but I will say I am at a Tier 1 Rocky Mountain School.


Outed... The only T1 school in the Rockies is Colorado.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:13 am

DallasCowboy wrote:I'm told it's cold


I'm told you can see Russia from your office.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:26 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A'nold wrote:Yeah, what school OP? I applied to a few of the "big firms" in Alaska via mass mailing earlier this fall but I think I've only heard back from like one of them. Maybe the mailman got mauled by a bear?


Don't quite want to out myself, but I will say I am at a Tier 1 Rocky Mountain School.


Outed... The only T1 school in the Rockies is Colorado.


Actually Utah and BYU are also in the Rockies. Some may also consider Arizona and Arizona St. to be a part of the Rockies.

Cane26
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby Cane26 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A'nold wrote:Yeah, what school OP? I applied to a few of the "big firms" in Alaska via mass mailing earlier this fall but I think I've only heard back from like one of them. Maybe the mailman got mauled by a bear?


Don't quite want to out myself, but I will say I am at a Tier 1 Rocky Mountain School.


Outed... The only T1 school in the Rockies is Colorado.


Actually Utah and BYU are also in the Rockies. Some may also consider Arizona and Arizona St. to be a part of the Rockies.


Yeah, Utah and BYU are definitely in the Rockies. Learn some geography.

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby AP-375 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:48 am

Cane26 wrote: Yeah, Utah and BYU are definitely in the Rockies. Learn some geography.


Utah people call it the Wasatch Mountains. Rockies get no love in Utah.
OP: Have you tried networking or calling anyone there? Just email around and talk to some folks. I'd be interested in AK, just for the incredible resident hunting tags.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 am

Cane26 wrote:Yeah, Utah and BYU are definitely in the Rockies. Learn some geography.


Really? Look at a map of the Rockies... Then, compare that to where BYU and Salt Lake City are. Then, I laugh at you.

To help, here is a link to a map of the Rockies.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... torMap.png

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby theavrock » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:31 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Cane26 wrote:Yeah, Utah and BYU are definitely in the Rockies. Learn some geography.


Really? Look at a map of the Rockies... Then, compare that to where BYU and Salt Lake City are. Then, I laugh at you.

To help, here is a link to a map of the Rockies.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... torMap.png


He said Rocky Mountain school and most lay people consider Utah to be in the Rocky Mountain region.

Further even if you are correct, who are the pricks that get off on outing people on the internet. Thanks for the brilliant addition here.

I'm interested in this as well, but I have other things on my plate that I'd prefer to pursue first. In many insular markets the number one thing I hear is network and do so with a purpose. I would assume the market in AK is more insular than most and ties are very important.

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:47 am

I don't know anything in particular about law in Alaska, but I lived in Anchorage for 3.5 years and my family still lives there. Any questions about lifestyle and whatnot, I can give you legit answers without all the "russia from your house" "living in an igloo" crap :)

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:03 am

theavrock wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Cane26 wrote:Yeah, Utah and BYU are definitely in the Rockies. Learn some geography.


Really? Look at a map of the Rockies... Then, compare that to where BYU and Salt Lake City are. Then, I laugh at you.

To help, here is a link to a map of the Rockies.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... torMap.png


He said Rocky Mountain school and most lay people consider Utah to be in the Rocky Mountain region.

Further even if you are correct, who are the pricks that get off on outing people on the internet. Thanks for the brilliant addition here.

I'm interested in this as well, but I have other things on my plate that I'd prefer to pursue first. In many insular markets the number one thing I hear is network and do so with a purpose. I would assume the market in AK is more insular than most and ties are very important.


Oh, I'm sorry... I thought this website was for aspiring lawyers, not philosophers... how do you think that logic will play out in the courtroom? "Oh, I'm sorry your Honor, I thought most lay people believed my client was innocent, so I didn't actually need to provide any proof for my statements professing their innocence."

Cane26
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby Cane26 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:16 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
theavrock wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Cane26 wrote:Yeah, Utah and BYU are definitely in the Rockies. Learn some geography.


Really? Look at a map of the Rockies... Then, compare that to where BYU and Salt Lake City are. Then, I laugh at you.

To help, here is a link to a map of the Rockies.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... torMap.png


He said Rocky Mountain school and most lay people consider Utah to be in the Rocky Mountain region.

Further even if you are correct, who are the pricks that get off on outing people on the internet. Thanks for the brilliant addition here.

I'm interested in this as well, but I have other things on my plate that I'd prefer to pursue first. In many insular markets the number one thing I hear is network and do so with a purpose. I would assume the market in AK is more insular than most and ties are very important.


Oh, I'm sorry... I thought this website was for aspiring lawyers, not philosophers... how do you think that logic will play out in the courtroom? "Oh, I'm sorry your Honor, I thought most lay people believed my client was innocent, so I didn't actually need to provide any proof for my statements professing their innocence."


You clearly have never heard of the "reasonable person." Good luck to you in law school.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 am

Cane26 wrote:You clearly have never heard of the "reasonable person." Good luck to you in law school.


A reasonable, prudent person wouldn't divulge information that can reveal their identity if they want to conceal it. Even if we include Utah and BYU into the conversation with Colorado as schools in the Rockies, OP is still pretty much giving away who he is to the people he is attempting to conceal himself from. The only people I think he would be worried about outing himself to would be prospective employers, and if they do peruse this board and come upon this post, I'm going to guess they'll be able to figure out who he is given the 3 school max.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Practicing Law in Alaska

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:48 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:A reasonable, prudent person wouldn't divulge information that can reveal their identity if they want to conceal it.

OP was posting anonymously and asking rather reasonably for advice and experience. A reasonable, prudent person wouldn't respond to that by aggressively trying to out him, derailing the thread by arguing pointless semantics about geography, and berating other posters while doing so. You should consider that when you get back from your timeout.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.