Resume Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SecReg

Resume Help

Postby SecReg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:35 am

Should I include an "interest section" in my resume? Also do you think its wise to limit my resume to 1 page? Also if you have a future clerkship how would you go about indicating that in your resume?

Blindmelon

Re: Resume Help

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:49 am

SecReg wrote:Should I include an "interest section" in my resume? Also do you think its wise to limit my resume to 1 page? Also if you have a future clerkship how would you go about indicating that in your resume?

Interest - sure, if you have something interesting beyond just "working out, pounding beers"
1 page yes unless you have significant, relevant work-experience.
Future clerkship: Clerk, Judge Judy, Future Date

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:51 am

Blindmelon wrote:
SecReg wrote:Should I include an "interest section" in my resume? Also do you think its wise to limit my resume to 1 page? Also if you have a future clerkship how would you go about indicating that in your resume?

Interest - sure, if you have something interesting beyond just "working out, pounding beers"

Never exceed one page. Several people throughout OCI told me they flat out reject 2-page resumes because they assume you cannot be concise. I have 10 years of significant WE and I made it down to one page. It need not be a chronology of your entire life.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:55 am

blowhard wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Never exceed one page. Several people throughout OCI told me they flat out reject 2-page resumes because they assume you cannot be concise. I have 10 years of significant WE and I made it down to one page. It need not be a chronology of your entire life.

Eh, thats a little extreme. For example, if you're applying for PI jobs and have tons of experience in that exact line of work, its silly to try to cram it in 1 page or cut things out that could be beneficial. Heck, my resume was 2 pages tailored for certain jobs I had experience with and I got CBs/offers there (not bigfirms).

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Eh, thats a little extreme. For example, if you're applying for PI jobs and have tons of experience in that exact line of work, its silly to try to cram it in 1 page or cut things out that could be beneficial. Heck, my resume was 2 pages tailored for certain jobs I had experience with and I got CBs/offers there (not bigfirms).

At this point in your career, very very few people have 2 pages of relevant work experience. People consider too much to be relevant. You're probably providing too many details on each job. (2-3 bullets max per) Internships, etc? Should be just listed by name. If you did anything that would be expected of that job...it shouldn't be spelled out. Only list exceptional or unexpected responsibilities and specific achievements.

Studies show legal resumes are read for less than 20 seconds to decide whether or not to interview. It's a flash picture of yourself. You should be using those details not included to boost selling yourself in the interview. You pick 2-3 of the most relevant and provide detailed info in the cover letter.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

This is so so so wrong. If you had a 2 page resume your callbacks were despite, not because of it. People LOL so hard when they see 2 page resumes. It's the classic newb mistake. Stick to one page unless you are 45 and have 15 years of work experience.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:16 pm

c3pO4 wrote:This is so so so wrong. If you had a 2 page resume your callbacks were despite, not because of it. People LOL so hard when they see 2 page resumes. It's the classic newb mistake. Stick to one page unless you are 45 and have 15 years of work experience.

u mad? I never said it was because of my resume, but it certaintly doesn't knock you out of your running. Not tailoring your resume for the job your applying to is a newb mistake. 1 page is CR for biglaw/firms in general, but public interest is a different game altogether.

SecReg

Postby SecReg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:20 pm

so you would recommend using bullet points over say a paragraph structure? Anyone have any solid links for an example? My school has been telling me my resume is fine but I think they are just being lazy.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 pm

SecReg wrote:so you would recommend using bullet points over say a paragraph structure? Anyone have any solid links for an example? My school has been telling me my resume is fine but I think they are just being lazy.

Absolutely do not use paragraphs. Bullets are standard in resumes. They should be able to scan and not have to read. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you mine.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:This is so so so wrong. If you had a 2 page resume your callbacks were despite, not because of it. People LOL so hard when they see 2 page resumes. It's the classic newb mistake. Stick to one page unless you are 45 and have 15 years of work experience.

u mad? I never said it was because of my resume, but it certaintly doesn't knock you out of your running. Not tailoring your resume for the job your applying to is a newb mistake. 1 page is CR for biglaw/firms in general, but public interest is a different game altogether.

That still doesn't mean your resume helped you. Your substantial experience alone could have been enough to overcome the harm it caused. Don't risk it.

SecReg

Postby SecReg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:29 pm

blowhard wrote:
SecReg wrote:so you would recommend using bullet points over say a paragraph structure? Anyone have any solid links for an example? My school has been telling me my resume is fine but I think they are just being lazy.

Absolutely do not use paragraphs. Bullets are standard in resumes. They should be able to scan and not have to read. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you mine.

I fucking new it (pardon the language). I'd rather stay anon, but how would you list your future clerkship with a judge?

Judge Smith Civil Court house, August 2012 - August 2013
Expected duties include:
[*] Writing memorandum
[*] Researching
[*] Hoping to find a job afterwards

I assume it would be pretty generic.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:30 pm

blowhard wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

That still doesn't mean your resume helped you. Your substantial experience alone could have been enough to overcome the harm it caused. Don't risk it.

Unsubstantiated speculation is fun.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:31 pm

SecReg wrote:
blowhard wrote:

I fucking new it (pardon the language). I'd rather stay anon, but how would you list your future clerkship with a judge?

Expected duties include:
[*] Writing memorandum
[*] Researching

Legal employers know what a clerkship is. Don't bother putting in expected experience.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:31 pm

SecReg wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Expected duties include:
[*] Writing memorandum
[*] Researching

Don't include details. They know what a clerk does. Hence my point earlier. Only list unique responsibilities. Just list your first line.

No matter what, don't include expected stuff. E.g. Secretary putting they filed or answered phones. But, list that you handled office billing or supervised people.

I was a cop...nothing on my resume talks about normal patrol duties, etc. I list only supervising shifts, helping draft regulations, etc.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Unsubstantiated speculation is fun.

I'm not mad, but just flabergasted that you think you are so special. 1 page resume, period, is the way to go. Ask any RECRUITER in any private or public job. Come back to me when even one person says 2 pages doesn't hurt you.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:37 pm

c3pO4 wrote: I'm not mad, but just flabergasted that you think you are so special. 1 page resume, period, is the way to go. Ask any RECRUITER in any private or public job. Come back to me when even one person says 2 pages doesn't hurt you.

I think I'm special? I'm not the one claiming to be an expert on legal recruiting. No point in arguing about it, I don't really care what you do.

SecReg

Postby SecReg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:38 pm

lol I am so happy I made this thread wtf was I doing with my resume and they kept telling me it was fine! So I should have a pretty bare bones resume then. I did do a bunch of internships though (I assume list no details as I didn't do anything crazy), and have worked with a couple law firms (in a file clerk, law clerk and paralegal capacity...I assume these may have some details).

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
c3pO4 wrote: I'm not mad, but just flabergasted that you think you are so special. 1 page resume, period, is the way to go. Ask any RECRUITER in any private or public job. Come back to me when even one person says 2 pages doesn't hurt you.

I think I'm special? I'm not the one claiming to be an expert on legal recruiting. No point in arguing about it, I don't really care what you do.

Actually, that's what you did. We both gave generally accepted and safe advice. You advocated disregarding all of that because you knew better.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

It's not about me. All I'm saying is don't come on here telling people it's OK to have two pages for your resume. It's clearly bad advice. You made a mistake, and it didn't end up affecting you. Don't advise other people to follow in your shitty footsteps.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:40 pm

SecReg wrote:lol I am so happy I made this thread wtf was I doing with my resume and they kept telling me it was fine! So I should have a pretty bare bones resume then. I did do a bunch of internships though (I assume list no details as I didn't do anything crazy), and have worked with a couple law firms (in a file clerk, law clerk and paralegal capacity...I assume these may have some details).

That's how I'd do it. If you worked on big cases, etc...list those as achievements. Elaborate on most relevant jobs in cover letter. Be prepared to give examples from others in interviews. E.g. What are you most proud of? Well, this one time I worked as part of a team...and we had this great impact.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:50 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

It's not about me. All I'm saying is don't come on here telling people it's OK to have two pages for your resume. It's clearly bad advice. You made a mistake, and it didn't end up affecting you. Don't advise other people to follow in your shitty footsteps.

You're going to be a great attorney unequivocally taking one side when there is clearly differing opinions on the issue. From a 2 second google search, e.g.,
http://www.tourolaw.edu/cso/docs/resumes.pdf
http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/C ... stions.pdf

Weird that Yale, Touro would say that 2 pages is okay sometimes when its clearly the wrong thing to do. Then again, your extensive experience as a 1/2L probably trumps career services whose job is to advise students on this stuff.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

You're going to be a great attorney unequivocally taking one side when there is clearly differing opinions on the issue. From a 2 second google search, e.g.,

Weird that Yale, Touro would say that 2 pages is okay sometimes when its clearly the wrong thing to do. Then again, your extensive experience as a 1/2L probably trumps career services whose job is to advise students on this stuff.

Yes, if you worked for 10 years prior to law school, putting 2 pages is OK like I said earlier. RC fail. Typically there is NO need. Clearly you were the atypical, special, 2 page resume bro. Congrats. Way to tell someone who clearly doesn't need a 2 page resume that it's OK, just because you want to talk about yourself and how it worked out for you.

Also, just LOL at that Touro law trash. You really are a piece of work.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

A. You're taking career advice from Touro?
B. People at Yale can likely get away with lots of stuff people at the rest of the T14 can't.
C. I'm not saying it can never be justified...but it should be extremely rare. E.g. You need to explain how you invented a cure for AIDs. It should be a last resort when there is physically no possible way to edit it down.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:57 pm

blowhard wrote:

B. People at Yale can likely get away with lots of stuff people at the rest of the T14 can't.
C. I'm not saying it can never be justified...but it should be extremely rare. E.g. You need to explain how you invented a cure for AIDs.

+1 less mad version of what I was trying to say :).

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:03 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
blowhard wrote:

C. I'm not saying it can never be justified...but it should be extremely rare. E.g. You need to explain how you invented a cure for AIDs.

+1 less mad version of what I was trying to say :).

Er, I based it on a 2 second google search as I said. I'm not going to sit here and tell you you're unequivocally wrong and do the research for you. As I said though, I don't care. You win the internet, good job little bud. This is a waste of time - I'm out.

Return to “Legal Employment”