state court intern or judge?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

state court intern or judge?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:48 pm

which would you go with..an internship in the legal department [with the court attorney] or an internship with a judge [state]

BeautifulSW

Re: state court intern or judge?

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:14 pm

I've worked for a state-level trial court of general jurisdiction for several years now. In our state courts, individual trial judges don't have attorneys assigned to them. Instead, an office like mine provides legal research and drafting services to all the trial judges. If you intern with an office like mine, you will be exposed to a wide variety of civil, criminal, and domestic legal issues.

We occasionally take on a summer intern (always a paid position BTW, we don't accept volunteers) and the feedback I've gotten has been positive. Unfortunately, though my state is less affected than most, budget cuts have made hiring summer interns much harder since 2008.

Return to “Legal Employment”