1L Spring RA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Spring RA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:14 pm

I wanted to know if anyone did a 1L spring RA with a professor they didn't have first semester? If so, how did you get it?

I'm don't think I will be able to with any of my current professors so I wanted to get this figured out ASAP.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Spring RA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:21 pm

I was asked to by a professor (who I didn't have first semester) based on my first semester grades. I accepted with the condition/understanding that I could bail if it ended up detracting from my second semester studying. We actually ended up postponing things after four weeks just because 1L grades are just too important to let slip for a marginally beneficial resume item.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:24 pm

A while ago I asked my professor with more relevant subject matter and found out they didn't need any help during spring.

What about asking a professor that specializes in something I have no interest in? I have to assume this is a bad idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:50 pm

ya i did it. just talk to the prof. i will say it sucked royally due to time constraints. don't stretch yourself too thin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ya i did it. just talk to the prof. i will say it sucked royally due to time constraints. don't stretch yourself too thin.

Was it worth it?

Were you spread thin because the professor didn't care about your own schedule?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:ya i did it. just talk to the prof. i will say it sucked royally due to time constraints. don't stretch yourself too thin.

Was it worth it?

Were you spread thin because the professor didn't care about your own schedule?

The professor only cares about their deadlines. Sure it was worth it, because it helped me in OCI interviews. But it sucked and definitely affected my grades. So maybe it wasn't worth it, because maybe i wouldve still gotten an offer with a higher gpa and no RA. But who really knows.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:39 pm

How doe one go about deciding what subject professor to choose?

Also, should my choice be limited to 1L professors or should I expand it to whoever is in a subject that i have interest in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:14 pm

I was asked by a professor to write a script to collect massive amounts of data so he could lay off his other three RA's that he was planning to hire. No joke. I would have been paid for ~200 hrs of work for getting it done. The other 3 RA's would have worked 200 hrs each to manually do what my script would have done.
I dont remember why, but I declined.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't really see this being a help in your job search? Clerkship app maybe...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:25 pm

I would like to do a judicial internship for my 1L summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”